Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does it take to beat a GT-R on the track.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 03:27 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does it take to beat a GT-R on the track.

Don't kill me for the question but I wanted to know how you are doing against GT-R's on the track. I just got back from an event at the autobahn in Joliet, IL put on by AMS. I brought my 09 C6 vette (superchargered at 500rwhp) with Kumho XS tires. I had no problems with the vette and it held up well. I was the only vette on the track and did very well against all the Evo's but the few GT-R's out there were monsters on the corners. I could stay with them on the striaghts but in corners I did not have the #alls to stay with them. They were on R-compound and both were modded my AMS. I guess I need to start getting R-compound tires... V710? and seeing what happens....

Trapp
Old 07-13-2010, 03:36 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

tires tires tires
Old 07-13-2010, 03:41 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I beleive in recent test at Leguna by one of the big car magazines, they got a faster time out of a stock ZO6 Carbon (with OEM Pilot Sports) compared to the GTR.

What does that tell us that we all knew (the OEM goodyear tires are HORRIBLE). The car is the same weight as the standard Z, but has the carbon brakes and magnetic suspension from the ZR1.

I would imagine a coil-over Z with race pads and R compounds would keep up or beat a GTR on even on R compounds.

I have been dying to drive against one, but have never seen one on the track.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by sperkins
tires tires tires
Out of the box the C6 and C6Z are monsters. Tires would put you ahead for sure! Tires make a HUGE difference.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:47 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I, too, saw one at Autobahn last month. The programming installed in the GT-R is so finessed that one only has to plant the throttle and hold on (sorta....). Personally, I prefer my own inputs. most of the time
Old 07-13-2010, 03:49 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I beleive in recent test at Leguna by one of the big car magazines, they got a faster time out of a stock ZO6 Carbon (with OEM Pilot Sports) compared to the GTR.

What does that tell us that we all knew (the OEM goodyear tires are HORRIBLE). The car is the same weight as the standard Z, but has the carbon brakes and magnetic suspension from the ZR1.

I would imagine a coil-over Z with race pads and R compounds would keep up or beat a GTR on even on R compounds.

I have been dying to drive against one, but have never seen one on the track.
I will be upgrading to V710's and race pads soon....I track at autobahn, IL and gingerman, MI and each time I go there are a 1-3 GT-R on the track...
Old 07-13-2010, 03:51 PM
BFoster
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 49 Posts

Tires make all the differece in the world.

I was able to pass a stock '09 GTR at will at Road America this spring, but at the same time get absolutely DESTROYED by a GTR which is supposed to be putting down 700hp (540 AWHP).

Those cars make an decent driver look like a seasoned pro. Pretty sad.
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Skip the V710s and use Hoosier As

a tight cornered track like Autobaun it will be tough, a high speed track may be better.
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What it is going to take is seat time and confidence in the equipment and the capability to use the car all up (max performance). R tires would certainly help in the corners, but if you are tip toeing through the corners on the street tires there is still more to learn. Spend alot of seat time behind the wheel and get quality instruction. You just missed a 10/10ths event weekend @ Autobahn a couple of weeks ago, where you would have gotten alot of good instruction from majoritily Corvette guys.

While I was at Autobahn instructing for that event, Mike Newlander had me ride with a student who has a GTR and used to own a Corvette. He is a member on this board but his forum name slips my mind....He has a red GTR with light mods. He allowed me to drive his car and this was the first GTR that I had ever driven. I found that the GTR was the EASIEST fast car to drive that I have ever driven...inspired lots of confidence and didn't do anything wrong. It was a very easy car to drive fast and now does not suprise me that even average drivers in these cars look like rock-stars behind the wheel. That being said a mildy modded Corvette driven correctly ought to be able to run with and or beat the GTR. Less than confident drivers will be faster in the GTR...
Old 07-13-2010, 03:53 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by trapp
Don't kill me for the question but I wanted to know how you are doing against GT-R's on the track. I just got back from an event at the autobahn in Joliet, IL put on by AMS. I brought my 09 C6 vette (superchargered at 500rwhp) with Kumho XS tires. I had no problems with the vette and it held up well. I was the only vette on the track and did very well against all the Evo's but the few GT-R's out there were monsters on the corners. I could stay with them on the striaghts but in corners I did not have the #alls to stay with them. They were on R-compound and both were modded my AMS. I guess I need to start getting R-compound tires... V710? and seeing what happens....

Trapp

========================
Old 07-13-2010, 03:55 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BFoster
Tires make all the differece in the world.

I was able to pass a stock '09 GTR at will at Road America this spring, but at the same time get absolutely DESTROYED by a GTR which is supposed to be putting down 700hp (540 AWHP).

Those cars make an decent driver look like a seasoned pro. Pretty sad.
The GT-R 's I ran with Saturday were 700+hp modded my AMS...unbelievable fast
Old 07-13-2010, 03:56 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John Shiels
========================
I got the point...
Old 07-13-2010, 03:56 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trapp
Don't kill me for the question but I wanted to know how you are doing against GT-R's on the track.
Trapp

What times were you running and on which configuration, South track?

How do you honestly compare as a driver to the others? I'm not suggesting you're better or worse, just trying to see the benchmark here. The GT-R is an amazingly easy car to drive and to extract 10/10s from a Z06 I do admit is much tougher. You're talking about a modded Corvette vs modded GT-Rs so hard to perform a true comp. AMS frequents Autobahn quite often and many of the drivers know the track very well, how well do you know it? Not just the layout, but the small tar patches signifying when to turn in, grooved payment when to brake, which rumble strips are friendly-which are not, etc...

Most modded GT-Rs are capable of high 1:28s which is equivalent to a 997 911 Cup car on Hoosiers.

Mike
Old 07-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
While I was at Autobahn instructing for that event, Mike Newlander had me ride with a student who has a GTR and used to own a Corvette. He is a member on this board but his forum name slips my mind.......
That would be Ankur.....Great guy with no ego trying to get faster each event!

Forum handle here is: kilr-ryd

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
That being said a mildy modded Corvette driven correctly ought to be able to run with and or beat the GTR. Less than confident drivers will be faster in the GTR...
I couldn't agree more Danny!
Old 07-13-2010, 04:29 PM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
I couldn't agree more Danny!
I regularly pass and pull away from a few GTR's running on Hoosiers at my home tracks at NJMP. My '09 Z06 has a T-1 suspension, Penske double adjustable shocks, Pfadt spherical bearings, Hoosier R6 tires, Brembo 4 piston Gran Tourismo calipers, Brembo 2 piece rotors, Hawk DTC-70 brake pads, Ron Davis radiator with integrated oil cooler and a track only alignment.

The GTR is a capable car on the track, but the weight is a problem for them pulling out of corners and on longer straights.

Steve

Last edited by SLandstra_Z06; 07-13-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:01 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
What times were you running and on which configuration, South track?

How do you honestly compare as a driver to the others? I'm not suggesting you're better or worse, just trying to see the benchmark here. The GT-R is an amazingly easy car to drive and to extract 10/10s from a Z06 I do admit is much tougher. You're talking about a modded Corvette vs modded GT-Rs so hard to perform a true comp. AMS frequents Autobahn quite often and many of the drivers know the track very well, how well do you know it? Not just the layout, but the small tar patches signifying when to turn in, grooved payment when to brake, which rumble strips are friendly-which are not, etc...

Most modded GT-Rs are capable of high 1:28s which is equivalent to a 997 911 Cup car on Hoosiers.

Mike
South track....same track the redline time attack ran a month ago....I ran it then and Sat. I don't know the track like a member would thats for sure. The GT-R's were not members but have been on the track out there few times. The Gt-R (Cobb tuned) ran in the low 1:28's but a modded Evo beat it with mid 1:27 run back on the redline time attack. We had no times Sat since it was a open event just for fun..

I'm sorry I missed the track event a few weeks ago with the vette group..I need someone to "give me the line" and a few driving tips out there..I had a blast and did very well being the only lone vette on the track on street tires passing everyone but a few GT-R's on R compound.

I had to laugh at the event pictures that were posted after the event.....My Vette was not in one of the 186 pics....hummmmm but my 2010 evo X that my brother drove was in 21 pics....and I smoked him all day long. anyway we had a great time and the autobahn as you know well is a great place to race..................

As far as how good am I at driving....well I would say average with about 6-7 events a year for the past few years. I am getting better. The driving school I go to multiple times a year at gingerman (CGI) finally this year has moved me to the advanced group. But that is on that track...each track is different. But compared to a seasoned driver like yourself...........I have alot to learn..

Last edited by trapp; 07-13-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:03 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
tires tires tires
and SEAT TIME

Get notified of new replies

To What does it take to beat a GT-R on the track.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:41 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran with a heavily modified GTR (Jotech 600+ whp/wtq) this weekend, in a heavily modified C6Z. I believe he was on A6's and I was on Michelin slicks. The driver of that car has been tracking for about the same amount of time I have. I have more power and less weight but with a fairly green engine I was shifting around 5800, so on the straights it was a push. I walked him in the corners though and had no problem getting the point by.
dvandentop was there in his stock CTS-V and wasn't far off the GTR's pace, maybe he'll chime in.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:53 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Skip the V710s and use Hoosier As

a tight cornered track like Autobaun it will be tough, a high speed track may be better.
Hoosier A's sticker? or more durable?
Old 07-13-2010, 08:16 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hoosier A's come up to temp faster and have a lower temperature sweet spot than 710s. 710s last longer, but need more time to hit their sweet spot. Hoosier R6s take the longest to come to temp, don't last as long as the 710s, but are faster tires. In terms of which tire is best for you, consider how hard you drive and what the track temps are. The cooler the track temps, the more attractive A6s become. In Texas, if you track an A6 between May and October, you'll melt it.

Seat time with the car is a big factor. If you had a Z, I'd say fix the suspension. The stock swaybar and shock package makes the car twichy at the limit, especially while tracking out and applying power. I put on a Pfadt SS front bar (I also autocross in Stock) and Pfadt inverted shocks. Spent a day of nothing but test and tune, and got the car signficantly more stable and confident. The other thing is that if you've got an instructor riding along, make sure it's NOT a Porsche 911 driver. They'll likely show you the wrong line for a Vette.

Quick Reply: What does it take to beat a GT-R on the track.