Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 Lexan Roof Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 09:08 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default C4 Lexan Roof Replacement

I suspect there are two few who would buy it, or perhaps the perception is that C4 owners wouldnt spend the money but it seams someone would make either a light weight fiberglass shell or carbon fiber sheet with Gurney bumps to replace the lexan (glass) roof panel on the removable top. Light weight, add height seems reasonable. Would make a nice replacement for an older scratched glass roof. Have the owner ship his / her roof or have a core charge?

Am I the only person interested in the concept?
Old 08-15-2010, 08:24 AM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I would not be interested since my C4 is totally for wheel to wheel racing. However, you could pose the idea to Melrose T Tops. They are one of the few people I can think of who might be. Spending money on the development of C4 stuff is a questionable investment.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

I have the Melrose replacement skin on my top. I made a thread about it here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...roof-skin.html
Old 08-15-2010, 09:53 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I have the Melrose replacement skin on my top. I made a thread about it here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...roof-skin.html
I contacted them about 4 months ago, they had just sold thier last C4 roof and didn't intend to build anymore since there isn't that much demand especially with the economy. First class group though.

My lexan roof is far lighter than my fiberglass roof. I suspect that a carbon fiber roof would be as light or lighter.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by grantar2
I contacted them about 4 months ago, they had just sold thier last C4 roof and didn't intend to build anymore since there isn't that much demand especially with the economy. First class group though.

My lexan roof is far lighter than my fiberglass roof. I suspect that a carbon fiber roof would be as light or lighter.
The weights are listed in the thread I linked. Interesting about the Melrose tops, glad I got mine in time.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:03 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by grantar2

I've got Melrose on my C4. It warped and cracked in less than a year. Before that I had an Astro Top that fell apart. Which was the reason why I sent it to Melrose. But I guess that was a mistake as Melrose wants me to buy another one since their top warped and cracked in less than a year.

Though, they did admit that the warp was because they stated strange things can happen to their top when left out in heat with the windows rolled up. At least the Astro Top lasted 7 years.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:10 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...p-by-step.html

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Lexan Roof Replacement

Quick Reply: C4 Lexan Roof Replacement