Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car and Driver - Lightning Lap at VIR

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 11:11 AM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Car and Driver - Lightning Lap at VIR

Happening today. Anyone there? times and info to leak? I know Mosler brought a new MT900 "Photon", but that's all I've heard.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

It will be very interesting to see how the Photon does Dave. Hopefully we get some early insider info, rather than having to wait for a month or two for results.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:13 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Car and Driver? that means they are using the Grande Course. Nothing Lightning about that.

Hope they use FULL course or the race circuit which every one else uses.

Grande course slows fast cars down and makes slow cars look faster then they really are. Grande course is more of the great equalizer.

So it will be interesting.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:19 PM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

They are using the full course, with the Patriot course detour...entering the detour between Oak Tree and Hog Pen, just before the roller coaster I think? 4.1 miles long

Is that the Grande Course?
Old 10-06-2010, 08:43 PM
kflee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TLGunman
They are using the full course, with the Patriot course detour...entering the detour between Oak Tree and Hog Pen, just before the roller coaster I think? 4.1 miles long

Yes, that is considered the Grand East Course.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:47 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Yes - so times wont mean much in real world comparison, but only to C&Ds other tests.

Funny about 4 years ago we did some times on Grand Course in C5s Track day prep cars, and we were faster then most cars C&D put on Grande course. and we weren't driving hard, just normal.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:15 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
It will be very interesting to see how the Photon does Dave. Hopefully we get some early insider info, rather than having to wait for a month or two for results.
What I would like to see is a comparison to the MT900 Ogilvie/Katech Special Edition!

Dean

Last edited by kentz06; 10-07-2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: sp
Old 10-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kentz06
What I would like to see is a comparison to the MT900 Ogilive/Katech Special Edition!

Dean
Me too Dean! She becomes a little more serious with each passing day (and my wallet proportionally lighter)!
Old 10-07-2010, 08:41 PM
khill
Heel & Toe

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Yes - so times wont mean much in real world comparison, but only to C&Ds other tests.

Funny about 4 years ago we did some times on Grand Course in C5s Track day prep cars, and we were faster then most cars C&D put on Grande course. and we weren't driving hard, just normal.
Still a great question as to how for example, a C5 Z06 would fare against the "new" cars...
Old 10-07-2010, 09:03 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by khill
Still a great question as to how for example, a C5 Z06 would fare against the "new" cars...
We are still faster on Grande Course.

Even on FULL course, T1 prepped C5Zs and NASA ST2 Prepped C5Zs are faster, then most new cars.

Top speed the new cars have a bit of an edge, but through the corners and uphill esses,

The challenge is these C5Zs are race prepped. The new cars are not. and not many of them will ever be converted to race cars. the C6Z race prepped is about the same to slightly quicker then the C5Z. the Nissan GTr is also slightly faster for TT, but not in race situations. not enough have been converted to race cars.

So we will see
Old 10-07-2010, 09:05 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I compared my 2:07.xx lap from a year ago in TT to the ZR1 telemetry/data they posted last year. the only parts I could compare were start finish to oak tree (they peel off soon after that) and then turn in at the end of the backstraight back to start finish. I was something like 10 mph faster through hogpen on hoosiers, and from start finish to oak tree, we were dead even on lap time, despite the ZR1 being something like 15 mph faster going in to T1. After that, you just can't keep up with the hoosiers on street tires.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:19 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

a few of the top NASA ST2 C5Z06 cars are running sub 2:00 min of full course. Few new cars get that fast, even with 100+ more HP.

the C5Z is IMO will be one of the best track cars ever.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:33 PM
khill
Heel & Toe

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Excellent responses, thanks guys! I'll be in the market for a trackcar next year and top of the list is a C5 Z06...
Old 10-07-2010, 10:41 PM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

I was really hoping they would run the full course, so we could compare the GRM UTC numbers to the C&D numbers, ie Mosler MT900 vs. Riley TDC
Old 10-08-2010, 07:11 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Excellent responses, thanks guys! I'll be in the market for a trackcar next year and top of the list is a C5 Z06...
The C5Z is easy to modify in so many ways. There are many many aftermarket parts for these cars too.

Easy to work on too.

Newer cars have so many electronic nannies, mandated by the government, and once you mess with those nannies, it could be more problems.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

I was really hoping they would run the full course, so we could compare the GRM UTC numbers to the C&D numbers, ie Mosler MT900 vs. Riley TDC
Dave, somehow, someday, we will have to arrange to get my car alongside a TDC just for grins. I have dibbs on Andy Pilgrim.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:14 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, somehow, someday, we will have to arrange to get my car alongside a TDC just for grins. I have dibbs on Andy Pilgrim.
Since he already knows your car so well that shouldn't be a problem!

Get notified of new replies

To Car and Driver - Lightning Lap at VIR

Old 10-09-2010, 07:17 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Everett,

Just move to North Carolina. Heck your with in 6 hours drive to 8 tracks, 8 hours drive to 4 more, and 12 hours drive to 10 more tracks.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Everett,

Just move to North Carolina. Heck your with in 6 hours drive to 8 tracks, 8 hours drive to 4 more, and 12 hours drive to 10 more tracks.

Sounds like you guys have it pretty good Tom.

If I could only get some time off work......
Old 10-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Take into consideration that none of the Car and Driver staff are really good drivers...

Tony Swan has the most seat time out of any of those guys and he is a decent driver... but, not the most consistent.

They pack so many cars into one of these shootouts and don't give any driver enough seat time to become "consistent". So, the results and the data are lackluster.

I'd add 5-10mph on any corner entry speed and take off 5 seconds off of most times if you're looking for something to compare.

This event is more about the drivers than it is the cars. If each manufacturer was allowed to bring their own staff and hot shoe driver-- then hellyea... I'd pay more attention to this event.

But, it's just a gimmick to create more advertising for a marginal magazine. It was the best car mag 10-15 years ago... and those days are looong gone.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver - Lightning Lap at VIR