Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSR-H This weekend

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 12:15 AM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default MSR-H This weekend

Who's going? I'll be out in red group again, squatting in my friend's garage that faces grid

This time I'll try not to set the grass on fire.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:24 AM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

John you should take a space heater or plan on camping out in the clubhouse! My ride is still down but should be back in one piece by this time next month. Y'all have fun!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:12 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be there, hope to see lots of vettes!
Old 01-23-2011, 10:59 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Ok, so other than the 28 degrees yesterday morning when I showed up at 7am, it was a great weekend. LOTS of Corvettes out there, and I don't remember seeing any break (though (2) 997 GT3s had the SAME coolant hose failure 2 sessions apart today - THANKS guys for leaving antifreeze in your TRACK cars - makes for a slippery track for the rest of us).

Tom, I don't think I've seen someone put that many tires on their car in one weekend! Good running though, and thanks for the lap data. Kevin wants to lead/follow in his stock car at TWS in March That ought to be fun down the front straight

Oh, and did anyone else other than myself and Michael notice that it seemed like all of the instructors this weekend were Spec Miata drivers? I loved the "you don't need to lift through 6". Um, you're going 116 mph. I'm going 142. Yes I do.''

Oh, and it's fun getting Lotus drivers flustered when you're running them down in the corners
Old 01-24-2011, 03:12 PM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a fun track to practice left foot braking..
John tanks for shaving a second off my times.

MSR is a great track to drift.... but it does take down the tires mighty quick.
don't try it unless u have a few extra pair laying around... did keep the others in my run group unsettled as i slid through sugar and spice...
Old 01-24-2011, 03:21 PM
MSR
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've actually been pretty happy with the low tire wear rate I get out there, especially considering how grippy the track is. My car seems to love that track, gear shifts are almost optional.

-michael
Old 01-24-2011, 06:27 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

I've got to admit I'm pretty happy with the wear I get there also. I think Sugar and Spice has the potential to eat up tires though since it's almost entirely off camber until you reach pit out.

I'll post an in-car vid here this evening. Ran a number of 1:45s yesterday in light traffic, and had a 1:44 or 1:43 in there somewhere on Saturday with a (VERY RARE) clear flying lap.

As for gearing, I only use 3rd and 4th, except when I end up stuck behind a Ferrari 430 Challenge in Diamond's Edge and have to go to 2nd. Finally got a good line through S&S that lets me grab 4th for more than 2 seconds before the Launch.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:03 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteZ51Racer
Ran a number of 1:45s yesterday in light traffic, and had a 1:44 or 1:43 in there somewhere
that is flat-out flying at msr - seriously.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:10 PM
MSR
Burning Brakes

I had zero clear laps on Saturday, but ran a 1:44 on a lap where traffic kept me down to a 109mph top speed, so I'm ecstatically happy with my performance. Egos love to suppose so I have to rein myself in a little, but it's hard not to believe I'd be into the 1:42s had I reached my usual top speed on the back straight. There's clearly a sweet spot with the tires, though. I tend to push hard early on, so my best grip is roughly mid-session. If I go really hard at that point, I only get about one lap before the tires become greasy. I have to slow down a bit the rest of the session. Just as well, I guess, who knows if the brakes could handle that level consistently, or some other problem would manifest itself.

On Sunday, on those street tires, I never did better than a 1:47, but none of those laps were clear either. I was definitely beyond my comfort level trying to keep up with you and Kevin that lap, and wishing I'd left the race tires on. Had there not been traffic, you guys would have walked away from me.

I hear you on the gearing. My car seems about perfect, 3rd has me modulating a little on most corner exits, and I top out 4th on the back straight, so it's just 2 gears for the whole track.

-michael
Old 01-24-2011, 08:27 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by MSR
I had zero clear laps on Saturday, but ran a 1:44 on a lap where traffic kept me down to a 109mph top speed, so I'm ecstatically happy with my performance. Egos love to suppose so I have to rein myself in a little, but it's hard not to believe I'd be into the 1:42s had I reached my usual top speed on the back straight. There's clearly a sweet spot with the tires, though. I tend to push hard early on, so my best grip is roughly mid-session. If I go really hard at that point, I only get about one lap before the tires become greasy. I have to slow down a bit the rest of the session. Just as well, I guess, who knows if the brakes could handle that level consistently, or some other problem would manifest itself.

On Sunday, on those street tires, I never did better than a 1:47, but none of those laps were clear either. I was definitely beyond my comfort level trying to keep up with you and Kevin that lap, and wishing I'd left the race tires on. Had there not been traffic, you guys would have walked away from me.

I hear you on the gearing. My car seems about perfect, 3rd has me modulating a little on most corner exits, and I top out 4th on the back straight, so it's just 2 gears for the whole track.

-michael
I honestly think if we hadn't had traffic I would've had a hard time pulling you in at all. You were flying. I did pick up some 315s for the front now, so I should be able to clean up the suspension setup on the car and increase my braking. I was in the ABS a number of times going into Diamond's Edge and the Carousel, and it was all on the front. I stiffened my rear rebound damping for the last session, and that helped reduce the weight transfer, but with the antifreeze down on the track and the traffic, we never ran faster than a 47.1.

I talked to Kevin afterwards to see what caused him to spin at the Launch after he pointed me by, and he said a bolt came out of the right rear trailing arm. I must admit it's a bit unnerving running that hard with him, with him having just a token brake light, and watching the rear of the car slide all over the place on those bias plys. He wants to do a little follow the leader at TWS in March Bring your stickies Michael!!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:32 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by C5ZEE06
that is flat-out flying at msr - seriously.
Thanks Blair. The car's a C6Z with Pfadt inverted shocks, SS front bar, Cobalt brake pads, Hoosiers, harnesses and seats. I keep wanting to soften up the shocks to deal with the rough pavement, but the car just hates it when I do that. It gets squirrely under braking, and just feels like crap in general. Tuning in those shocks and that front bar basically got rid of all of the nasty handling habits the car has. The Lotus Exige drivers couldn't believe a Corvette was closing on them in the corners

Michael's C4 is stupid fast, especially with him driving. I bet if I tossed him the keys to my car, he would've run a 41. Which is why I didn't toss him the keys

Last edited by CorvetteZ51Racer; 01-24-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:30 AM
MSR
Burning Brakes

I'm flattered, John, but you give me too much credit. Let's just say we're both kicking *** out there!

TWS scares me. I've never been out there in this car, or anything even close to this power level, so it will be interesting to see how quickly I come up to speed. Do you have your stickies balanced to run there? (I've never had my race tires balanced, ever.)

-michael
Old 01-25-2011, 08:32 AM
MSR
Burning Brakes

Oh, forgot to comment on the shocks. Tagging up with you definitely made me push past my comfort zone, as I'm now going fast enough there to see obvious deficiencies in the Konis. I'll have to put my custom-valved Bilsteins back on for next time (and take the street-ride penalty hit). MSR-H is definitely punishing to shocks, if you're fast. A few times it felt like I was getting airborne if I was in the wrong place in the straights. Scary stuff.

-michael
Old 01-25-2011, 09:09 AM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by MSR
TWS scares me. I've never been out there in this car, or anything even close to this power level, so it will be interesting to see how quickly I come up to speed. Do you have your stickies balanced to run there? (I've never had my race tires balanced, ever.)

-michael
Honestly, I got my tires balanced at Discount and it was a good enough balance the last time I was out there. The machine they use is the same as the one that Jim was using at MSR this past weekend to rebalance my front after the valve stem issue. Just get some foil tape from Home Depot to tape over the weights and you should be good.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:49 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Was a good weekend. I can't wait to go back next week with NASA and do it on fresh Hoosiers.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:56 AM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JOhn i have a Harry Lap timer recording from my ride w/ u from sunday..
send me your email address and i'll squit it to ya..
tom
drugschnorr@gmail.com
Old 01-26-2011, 02:12 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow sounds like there was a fun group out at this one. I am envious. I am hoping to make it to TWS for the first time in March.

Sounds like this track is a fun one as well. I am in the DFW area so I will be at cresson in February, but the track looks to be one worth visiting as well.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:20 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

I'd sure ike to go but unfortunately, I'm having shoulder surgery later this morning and I'm going to be out of commission for a while. Good luck and have fun!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bills Z06
I'd sure ike to go but unfortunately, I'm having shoulder surgery later this morning and I'm going to be out of commission for a while. Good luck and have fun!
May God speed your recovery and bless you with His peace!

Get notified of new replies

To MSR-H This weekend

Quick Reply: MSR-H This weekend