Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Wear

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:41 AM
hellrazr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Wear

I'm running a stock 2004 Z06 at track days, and I noticed that my rear brake pads tend to wear twice as fast as the fronts (ie, for every front set of pads, I replace two rear sets of pads).

I run with traction control and active handling off at the track, but it seems unusual that the pads would wear this way.

Is this normal? Is it possible that maybe the rear rotors are worn in a way to go through pads more quickly? This has happened with two sets of rotors.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:49 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had this problem initially with my car and when I figured out that the traction control was applying the rear brakes, then I started using the competitive mode (as I improved my driver skills) and then I started wearing out the fronts first. You might check to see if your TC is really off. I don't know how to check for that but in the Comp mode you should not have this problem.

What kind of pads are you using front and back? The rotors should not be a cause
Old 01-29-2011, 12:17 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think that is normal as the fronts do 70% of the work. Rotors would not cause that.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:25 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

depending on your driving style and suspension/tire setup, C5 AH mode could put excessive wear on either front or rear pads, but rear is more common.

if you have everything off, this kind of wear is pretty unusual assuming you have same type of pad in the rear vs front and the pads are stock shape/thickness

i suppose it could happen if you have "more traction" in your rear tire somehow under braking, causing dynamic bias to shift to the back, which would be pretty unusual, especially if it persists for several days.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:21 PM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
I think that is normal as the fronts do 70% of the work. Rotors would not cause that.
I agree. The rear pads wearing faster doesn't make sense if AH is off. What kind of pads and tires are you using?

For me, I get one weekend out of a set of fronts, maybe 3 weekends out of a set of rears... that is a factor of 6 different than you.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:54 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GO_BLUE_VETTES
I agree. The rear pads wearing faster doesn't make sense if AH is off. What kind of pads and tires are you using?

For me, I get one weekend out of a set of fronts, maybe 3 weekends out of a set of rears... that is a factor of 6 different than you.
What pads are you running?

when I ran hawk HPS or HP+ I got one day out of the front pads

with Wilwood H or PFC-01s I get three weekends out of a front set and 5 weekends out of the rear set
Old 01-29-2011, 05:06 PM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
What pads are you running?

when I ran hawk HPS or HP+ I got one day out of the front pads

with Wilwood H or PFC-01s I get three weekends out of a front set and 5 weekends out of the rear set
Thats with carbotech xp12s in front. I have run some BHP pads that also lasted one weekend.

I tried some CL RC6 pads for one weekend, I'll get 1.5 or 2.0 weekends out of them.... I agree with you on the H pads, they last a long time.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:28 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I miss read it and was wondering why he ask the question. Now I see he is wearing the backs 2 x as fast. Some is wrong for sure.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:32 AM
hellrazr
Pro

At the track both active handling and traction control are off.

I'm running stock pads and rotors, and have been through two sets of tires (Nitto 05, and Firestone wide ovals) since noticing this on a a couple sets of rotors, and a few sets of pads.

I'm wondering if maybe there is an issue with traction control during street driving, but I haven't really noticed any unusual feeling.

I'll slap on some new rotors and pads, and see if it happens again.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:43 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hellrazr
At the track both active handling and traction control are off.
Press & hold for 5 seconds "off"? Not that you're doing this, but I've met a bunch of Corvette folks that think the system is off as soon as the "wiggly car" appears on the dash.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:30 PM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Originally Posted by gkmccready
... I've met a bunch of Corvette folks that think the system is off as soon as the "wiggly car" appears on the dash.
??

For a C5Z - Press and release once to turn of AH/TC. This illuminates the amber light on dash. Corresponding message in the DIC.

Press and hold for 5 seconds to put AH in Competitive Driving mode - AH is less intrusive, but still active, TC is off. No light on dash. Corresponding message in the DIC.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:52 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if you are running stock pads you may be overheating them, in which case longevity becomes somewhat unpredictable.

start by putting some temperature paint on the rotors to see how hot things get, you can pick a pad based on that.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:57 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Sorry, I assumed a 2006 C6 wasn't that much different from the '04 Z. In my C6, press once is TC Off. Press again is Comp Mode. Press again and you're back to full nannies. Press & hold for 5 seconds is All Off. Sorry if I added confusion.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:05 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

??

For a C5Z - Press and release once to turn of AH/TC. This illuminates the amber light on dash. Corresponding message in the DIC.

Press and hold for 5 seconds to put AH in Competitive Driving mode - AH is less intrusive, but still active, TC is off. No light on dash. Corresponding message in the DIC.
Give me a call I will be happy to talk you
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 01-31-2011, 11:35 PM
hellrazr
Pro

Originally Posted by longdaddy
if you are running stock pads you may be overheating them, in which case longevity becomes somewhat unpredictable.

start by putting some temperature paint on the rotors to see how hot things get, you can pick a pad based on that.
Yeah, I've definitely had overheating issues. This seems like a good theory. I will try the temp paint. Thanks!

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
Give me a call I will be happy to talk you
I might do that someday, but right now I'm still hangin' on trying to keep everything stock!

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Wear

Quick Reply: Brake Wear