Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who runs a HANS with a 6-point harness, seat, and harness bar in their C5's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 03:40 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Who runs a HANS with a 6-point harness, seat, and harness bar in their C5's?

I am getting ready to purchase and install a Cobra Suzuka GT seat, 6 point harness, and BK harness bar in my C5Z. I am doing this with the intention of using a HANS. My only concern is that the belts may be at a slight upward angle instead of level or slightly lower than my shoulders. I wont know until the install is complete.

I figure that I am not the only one that may be in this situation, so who else out there runs a similar setup? Any issues, words of advice?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:05 PM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

i have a Cobra Suzuka GT, TeamTech RamPac 6pt, Hardbar seat mount, Brey-Krause harness bar, and a HANS Pro Model 20, and an EB C5z.

Setup works great. I do not have the sliding tethers on my HANS, the only time I know I have it on is when I try to look in the passenger side mirror backing up in the paddock. Get the sliding tethers.

Otherwise, I am not sure what the exact dimension is for the relative height of the shoulder belts to the mounting point. It will depend on how high you mount your seat and with what type of brackets...
Old 01-29-2011, 04:17 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GO_BLUE_VETTES
i have a Cobra Suzuka GT, TeamTech RamPac 6pt, Hardbar seat mount, Brey-Krause harness bar, and a HANS Pro Model 20, and an EB C5z.

Setup works great. I do not have the sliding tethers on my HANS, the only time I know I have it on is when I try to look in the passenger side mirror backing up in the paddock. Get the sliding tethers.

Otherwise, I am not sure what the exact dimension is for the relative height of the shoulder belts to the mounting point. It will depend on how high you mount your seat and with what type of brackets...
Thanks for the response. I plan on using the hardbar seat mount as well. How was the install on your car? Did the Hardbar mounts come with everything you needed for the install hardware wise? How did you mount your lap and sub belts?
Old 01-29-2011, 04:30 PM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...products_id=45

The seat brackets come with a plethora of holes. Adjust the side plates to give you the right distance from the wheel/pedals, seat height for head clearance, and seat angle.

Then, use 4 of the unused mounting holes to mount the anchor end of your lap belts and sub belts.

I bought mine used, so I don't know exactly what hardware it comes with. From the picture on the website, it shows hardware for the bracket and the bracket to floor pan connection. You may have to supply the bolts for the seat (4) and for the belts (4). I used nylocs on all the fasteners...
Old 01-29-2011, 04:39 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stevensa
My only concern is that the belts may be at a slight upward angle instead of level or slightly lower than my shoulders. I wont know until the install is complete.
that would be against manufacturer's recommendation and if you have no options but to end up with such a setup, I would call them and ask what exactly is the effect of doing that - you are likely to get a better answer from hans than from anyone here. their toll free number is easy to find.

if you need some extra height to get the angle right, cannot move the seat up, and still have headroom, you can try more padding under your butt.

you could also have someone modify the harness bar or its mounts with some creative welding to get you the right angle. you can ask BK about their recommendation, I am sure they answer those questions all the time

given the research that safety equipment manufacturers put into the instructions on routing the harnesses, I think it''s a big deal.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:44 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Your seat bottom may wind up on the floor so the belts from the harness bar are level with your shoulders.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:46 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Cobra Suzuka seat, Schroth Profi-II 6h harness 6pt, Hardbar seat mount, Hardbar Harness bar, and a HANS Pro Model 20, and it's mounted in a C5 Coupe.
Your belt angle and position will be determined by how high you mount the seat. With the Hardbar harness bar you can get the extenders and it gives even more adjustability for the height of the bar.
http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...543b327057ed00

http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...543b327057ed00
Old 01-29-2011, 04:47 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GO_BLUE_VETTES
http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...products_id=45

The seat brackets come with a plethora of holes. Adjust the side plates to give you the right distance from the wheel/pedals, seat height for head clearance, and seat angle.

Then, use 4 of the unused mounting holes to mount the anchor end of your lap belts and sub belts.

I bought mine used, so I don't know exactly what hardware it comes with. From the picture on the website, it shows hardware for the bracket and the bracket to floor pan connection. You may have to supply the bolts for the seat (4) and for the belts (4). I used nylocs on all the fasteners...
Thanks for the info, does your harness have clip in ends with eye bolts or are they bolt on ends? Also, how tall are you and do your harnesses have an upward angle from your shoulders to bar, level, downward?
Old 01-29-2011, 04:47 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Your seat bottom may wind up on the floor so the belts from the harness bar are level with your shoulders.
i think he is saying he is already too low and the harness bar is higher, which is a situation that both HANS and most harness manufacturers warn against
Old 01-29-2011, 04:51 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

ahhhh OK
Old 01-29-2011, 05:00 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by longdaddy
i think he is saying he is already too low and the harness bar is higher, which is a situation that both HANS and most harness manufacturers warn against
Im not really sure where it will be with me. I am 6'1" tall and have an average torso length. I am pretty sure that the harness bar will be level or slightly below my shoulders (esp with the BK bar that drops down a bit from the stock mounting points) but I just wanted to get some feedback on what other people are experiencing.

I guess I should have made it more clear in my OP, but what seat setups do people run with what harness bar, their height, and how do the belts get positioned relative to their body.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:02 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

Im thinking this may be the case or close to it as right now with the stock seat my helmet has about 1/2" of clearance with the roof when I am not sitting up straight. If I straighten up in the seat my head heads the head liner.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:19 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

oh I see.

I think you will be fine, sitting in a stock seat is not really a good comparison

imagine a sumo wrestler pushing you down into the seat by pressing on your shoulders and chest - that's about what your position will be with a properly tightened harness

there is usually enough adjustment in the seat mounts to get you a good angle, if it is a shop doing this, you can ask them to call you in for a trial fit (remember to bring your hans, it changes the angles) before you accept the work.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

I think you will be fine with the BK harness bar. It sits a lot lower than the Hardbar harness bar.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Who runs a HANS with a 6-point harness, seat, and harness bar in their C5's?

Quick Reply: Who runs a HANS with a 6-point harness, seat, and harness bar in their C5's?