Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone here install their own apr wing on their c6?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 12:14 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Default anyone here install their own apr wing on their c6?

if so very difficult at all?

didnt see an install process on the apr website.

thanks
Old 01-30-2011, 10:47 AM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Can't be too hard. I left to go pick up a pizza (the best use of my time) and by the time I got back JD and another buddy had mine installed. Thanks guys!
Old 01-30-2011, 11:21 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Wing supports should be mounted to the frame, not the rear deck
Old 01-30-2011, 11:38 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Wing supports should be mounted to the frame, not the rear deck
no Velcro mounts?
Old 01-30-2011, 11:42 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

6 holes! 3 on each side. Takes about 30 minutes. Great down force. Give me a call Derek, if have any questions. JD
Old 01-30-2011, 12:17 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JDIllon
6 holes! 3 on each side. Takes about 30 minutes. Great down force. Give me a call Derek, if have any questions. JD
Installed one on my C5Z in about 30 minutes. It provides a lot of rear downforce (even at zero AOA) and if you don't balance the front you will be pushing pretty bad after a couple laps.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easy install. Works great!
Old 01-30-2011, 04:54 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

thanks guys, got an apr front splitter now so should be good for front aero

how does the rear wing bolt through? the rear 1/4 panels i am guessing? or are the holes drilled through the rear tub as well which is a pretty strong material?

thanks not sure i will get one just researching now

also who would i order from to get the NASA discount on the spoiler?

Last edited by dvandentop; 01-30-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:25 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dvandentop
thanks guys, got an apr front splitter now so should be good for front aero

how does the rear wing bolt through? the rear 1/4 panels i am guessing? or are the holes drilled through the rear tub as well which is a pretty strong material?

thanks not sure i will get one just researching now

Bolts thru the hatch at the outside back corner. I sent APR an email and they sent a copy of the installation instructions prior to purchase.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:27 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I have the instructions. They bolt through the deck, and have a reinforced backing plate. Should be fine as long as you don't hit anything (I've done exactly that, ripped the deck right off).

Anyway, personally I'd probably just run some threaded rod down through the plate to the frame for a bit of extra safety, although deck mounting is fine (IMO) for DE usage.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:29 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

can you email them to me

dvandentop@msn.com

thanks
Old 01-30-2011, 08:27 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by dvandentop
Call APR direct. They will set it up for you.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:43 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by Webz
Easy install. Works great!
I have seen said wing and this is a quality install no doubt.
Very clean.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:13 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

sent via email.... drill a few holes, bolt it on.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:47 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

thanks alot david, looks pretty simple for sure~
Old 01-31-2011, 10:52 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I just wanted to let any of you guys who are running these wings or thinking about running them to keep an eye on them.

There are 2 guys running them in HPDE's at Road America and they have had several wings crack. Fortunately they have not had an outright failures but they had some crack at the mounts and others crack on the leading edge. I know Road America is very fast and puts more stress on these wings than many other tracks but keep an eye on them!

Personally I think you get what you pay for with wings and these are about as cheap of a "wing" as I have seen. If you compare this wing to the ACP World Challange wing you will see a big differance! You could easily break this wing in half if you put it across your knee, not so with the ACP wing. I understand that the ACP wing is over $3k and the APR is closer to $1k but again you get what you pay for.

Here is a thread about a STi that crashed at VIR because his APR GT300 failed - this is the same wing element used on the C5. They mounted it higher that weekend 17" vs 10" but it still failed.

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33849

This is not an attack on APR but more of a warning to those thinking about putting one of these on there car. Once you start using these aero pieces you pretty much can't make certian corners without them.

IMHO save your money and get a real wing that you won't have to wonder if it's going to be there when you need it.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:27 AM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
I just wanted to let any of you guys who are running these wings or thinking about running them to keep an eye on them.

There are 2 guys running them in HPDE's at Road America and they have had several wings crack. Fortunately they have not had an outright failures but they had some crack at the mounts and others crack on the leading edge. I know Road America is very fast and puts more stress on these wings than many other tracks but keep an eye on them!

Personally I think you get what you pay for with wings and these are about as cheap of a "wing" as I have seen. If you compare this wing to the ACP World Challange wing you will see a big differance! You could easily break this wing in half if you put it across your knee, not so with the ACP wing. I understand that the ACP wing is over $3k and the APR is closer to $1k but again you get what you pay for.

Here is a thread about a STi that crashed at VIR because his APR GT300 failed - this is the same wing element used on the C5. They mounted it higher that weekend 17" vs 10" but it still failed.

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33849

This is not an attack on APR but more of a warning to those thinking about putting one of these on there car. Once you start using these aero pieces you pretty much can't make certian corners without them.

IMHO save your money and get a real wing that you won't have to wonder if it's going to be there when you need it.
I've had my APR wing on high speed tracks such as VIR and Sebring with no issues for about a year now. I know others who have as well.

As for the STI failure. If I remember correctly they mounted it with some kind of custom mounts well above where it was designed to be used. Not sure that's a good example.

Appreciate the heads up however!

Get notified of new replies

To anyone here install their own apr wing on their c6?

Old 01-31-2011, 12:16 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

If you read through the linked thread there are several things that are taken into account. I would consider it a must read for anyone who is thinking about installing one of these wings onto there track car. Especially if it's an HPDE/TT car without a cage!

Here's the wing installed with the original APR mounts.

Here's the wing installed with there custom mounts.

Here is a picture of what failed.

These are the mounts that rivet to the wing, I've seen APR Corvette wings crack in this same area. Fortunately we kept an eye on our equipment and noticed it before taking the track.

Now compare this to the ACP wing

The ACP wing has bolts going through the wing down to an aluminum mount.

You can blame it on the custom mounts or the fact that it was in clean air, but if you look at the photo's of what failed it's pretty telling.

Here's an example of a side load test of a high quality wing element.

There is no way the APR wings would stand up to anywhere near that kind of abuse.

Again I just want people to be aware of what has happened and could happen if you are not careful with what you put on your car. If you do decide the APR wing is the one for you please keep and eye on it and check it everytime before you go out on the track.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:49 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To echo joel by providing pretty pictures of how wings SHOULD be made.

My kognition wing. NO other wing is built like this with internal ribbing.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:37 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

It looks like the mistake made by the Subaru owner(s) was using the stock mounting device (basically 2 carbon fiber plates sandwiched over the deck lid with 3 studs) with a support structure twice the height of the ones supplied by APR. That in effect doubles the lever arm and doubles the force applied to the support structure and trunk lid. It actually probably more than doubled the forces due to the cleaner air above the roof line plus the fact that the wing was moved further aft of the supports, which causes not only the drag on the wing to pull on the supports, but a larger fraction of the downforce to pull on the supports. Not a good idea. If you raise the wing higher than the APR supplied supports you should definitely tie the supports down to the frame of the car. Not a bad idea to do so even with the stock supports IMO.

Last edited by redtopz; 01-31-2011 at 03:40 PM.

Quick Reply: anyone here install their own apr wing on their c6?