Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race seats with harness - still leave airbag connected?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:09 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Race seats with harness - still leave airbag connected?

You guys with racing seats with harnesses, do you leave your airbag connected or do you disconnect? Don't see much need for driver or passenger. If so, is pulling the fuse the best way to disconnect?
Old 02-11-2011, 07:34 PM
mfquinn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-12-2011, 12:03 AM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

In a C6, if you have race seats in, the airbags are automatically non-functional afaik.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:53 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Willis
In a C6, if you have race seats in, the airbags are automatically non-functional afaik.
The air bag warning light lights but that doesn't mean the front air bags are non operational. They only have one light to show a problem with either the front or side air bags. I am pretty sure GM's lawyers wouldn't permit turning off the front air bags if there was only a problem with the side air bags.

I just checked the SM for some info. The system will try and deploy the driver side air bag even though there are diagnostic codes present. Not sure about all of the codes but there are quite a few where the control module will send the deployment signal to the steering wheel.

One of the things missing with the stock seats removed is the seat position sensor signal. If this isn't present the driver's side air bag will deploy just as if the seat was fully forward.

As for the passenger side front air bag it looks like it will be disabled if there are any seat position or passenger presence signals missing since they don't know if the passenger is a kid or not.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 02-12-2011 at 02:25 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:04 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I turn the passenger side off at the track. Just not sure I need driver side to deploy when I won't be near it.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:36 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
I turn the passenger side off at the track. Just not sure I need driver side to deploy when I won't be near it.
I would leave it connected, unless you want a new steering wheel. You'll be near it, if something should happen.

Steve A.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:44 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you in a C5 with the stock seat set all the way back the bag can deploy and you not even touch it. I never moved that far forward when it deployed. All it did was make me blind to what was in front of the car and left that nasty talcum powder taste in my mouth for a week... This did not happen on track.

So if your race seat sits way back and you're strapped in harnesses tight. I don't think you'll actually hit the air bag. I'd disable it if that is possible. If you're also wearing a HANS it's not likely your head will snap forward enough either.

Now if your short and sit up near the wheel, well all bets are off.

Get notified of new replies

To Race seats with harness - still leave airbag connected?

Quick Reply: Race seats with harness - still leave airbag connected?