Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NJ Racing / High Performance Rules and Regulations

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default NJ Racing / High Performance Rules and Regulations

Chapter 62 New Jersey Motor Vehicle Racetrack Regulations - till 2012

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf...egulations.pdf
Old 02-16-2011, 01:38 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that a state Government regulation? When did government bureaucrats become qualified to regulate motor sports?
Old 02-16-2011, 02:48 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Originally Posted by bobmoore2
Is that a state Government regulation? When did government bureaucrats become qualified to regulate motor sports?
Since when were government bureaucrats really qualified to regulate any part of our lives, but they chose too anyway???? Heck, your from California, your not allowed to sneeze out there, without the EPA, or some other state pencil pusher's approval.

NJ, and I'm pretty sure most other states too, have always had some sort of rules regarding motorsports.

When I first got involved with Corvettes, 35+ years ago, I joined a local Corvette club that ran a couple autocrosses each year. Before we could hold an event, we had to notify the State Police and submit drawings and details of the facilities, for approval. Besides the normal safety personal, it seems to me that we couldn't run an event, unless a State Police officer was there to observe the event.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:43 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

If some one decides to take litigation against a racing facility, have to have laws to violate.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:43 AM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

When did government bureaucrats become qualified to regulate motor sports?
When they got elected or appointed...
Old 02-16-2011, 08:03 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I don't have a problem with NJ state police being the governing body over racetrack regulations. I meet 2 of the police officers who sit on the panel and they were both very involved with motorsports and the safety of it. It was interesting talking to them and I personally believe they are trying to do what is best to protect us.

My major concern is always over protection though and so far reading the regulations I don't see anything which is outrageous.

I also like having a written document which hopefully clearly states the rules. Many times people make up things and its nice to say where in this document does it say that. Of course all written things are left for interpretation.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:24 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were these regulations in force before, or were they developed after Scott Kalitta died at Englishtown in 2008?
Old 02-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by joemoia
Were these regulations in force before, or were they developed after Scott Kalitta died at Englishtown in 2008?
Before although I am sure updated afterwards.

Interesting read of the NJSP findings of that accident. You can Google it and read all the details but here is some of what they said about the cause

Cross the 1/4 mile at 300 MPH. Parachute failed due to fire, tears and entanglement. Clutch system locked which meant the engine continued to power the rear wheels. Mechanical braking was applied for over 1800 feet but only slowed the car down 50%. Car was traveling at 125 MPH when it hit the pea gravel which is where the car lifted off the ground. The car flew over the retaining net hit a pole and hit heavy equipment which was used by ESPN. The cockpit with Kalitta came to a stop 250 feet passed the shutdown area.

Impact gs were 100g up to 200g. Although IMHO it wouldn't matter but they did find his BAC to be .02 which is against NHRA rules.

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 02-16-2011 at 03:10 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To NJ Racing / High Performance Rules and Regulations

Quick Reply: NJ Racing / High Performance Rules and Regulations