Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6Z or GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 03:13 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default C6Z or GT3?

Next car.

I know quite a few of my "forum buddies" will understand so I think I will get the best honest feedback right here.

A lot of you track/autox with GT3's so you probably have valuable info on them.

It'll be used 2008-2010 low miles & as stock as I can find.

I have by no means made up my mind yet & a know a couple of guys personally who have each.

I am particularly interested in the weak points of both, especially the GT3 as I know less about them.

Try to lean heavily toward fact & not silly stuff like VW on steroids type comments.

We know both have proven records on race courses worldwide.

Maint costs (brakes/clutch/etc) are important, let's call tires a draw.

What breaks on both?

Happy 4th!

Old 07-02-2011, 03:24 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you driven both? You might like one more than the other.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:44 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice position to be in...lots of considerations

Performance: I've run with both at the track and the C6Z seems like a much stronger car, much more capable. If you want lap time I would go this way.

Maint.: Having to the Porsche guys at several events, they have plenty to gripe about in terms of maintenance and reliablity. The only gripe with the C6Z is the brake pad cost...could be fixed w/ BBK. Bigger issue is the reliablity of the LS7. I'd be very concerned w/the older ones and I think GM may have improved the sump system for 2009 or 2010. But not many units were made those years so hard to find used. I didn't hear the Porsche guys grip about blown engines.

Style: I think the Corvette is a big car with a big engine. I haven't driven the Porsche, but it might handle like a smaller car, a bit more nimble. Certainly folks rave about Porsche "feel" vs the "numbness" in the C6z. GM again improved the steering feel in later models but I doubt it's a match. If you love the twisty parts best and don't mind going German, I'd vote Porsche here.

Aesthetics: Well...I guess could say it doesn't count for a track car...but most are duel purpose. I think most like the Porsche interior design and materials much better. Might be a draw on the exterior or even to the C6z. Personal pref.

Other: Flame suit on. But really, there is a consideration of the type of social circle you want to hang out in if you are in to the car clubs. Few Corvette clubs track extensively whereas you have many options with Porsche. The demographic of drivers (as a whole...on the average) is slightly different IMHO and I'll leave it at that.

Have fun
Old 07-02-2011, 03:59 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

You can replace the bushings in the c6 so that it feels and communicates like it should.
You should probably do a true dry sump in the C6

You can go to P-club events with a corvette (or anything) and at least for the events I go to, there will be a number of other c5/c6s there (P-car owners decide they want to go fast and are sick of paying for parts).
Old 07-02-2011, 05:18 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
, let's call tires a draw.

Happy 4th!

You can't. The rear tires on the GT3 will only last 40 autocross laps at the most. The Corvette will get 60 laps. The fronts are closer to the same.

Steve A.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,961 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Just found out something interesting today while reading my latest Motor Trend. The C6 is a couple of inches shorter than a 911 so that so called small car nimbleness may be a myth.

A Z06 can be updated with the larger stock dry sump if need be. However, people really only seem to have trouble with long left hand sweeper turns. That is sort of the same issue the LS engines have had since the 97 was introduced. I remember a lot of people doing the same thing with LS1s.

Several years ago I was instructing with a group at Watkins Glen and one of the other instructors had an 08 GT3. On R compound tires he and I were pretty much equal with my stock 03Z better than his car on about half the course and with his car being better on the other half. Based on my experience I would suggest the C6Z will run away and hide from a GT3. That is also what C&D found out a couple of years ago when they tested the Z, GT3 and a C6Z51 at VIR. The GT3 on R compounds from the factory wasn't as fast as the Z and just barely beat the Z51.

Bill
Old 07-02-2011, 06:07 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
You can't. The rear tires on the GT3 will only last 40 autocross laps at the most. The Corvette will get 60 laps. The fronts are closer to the same.

Steve A.
Good to know,

I did hear that the awd turbo seriously shreds tires and is simply too expensive to autox, did not know of the gt3 rears.

Last edited by froggy47; 07-02-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:10 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
I have driven quite a few c6z. None felt "nimble and precise" but I am ok with that, I fixed my c5z & I can do the same with a c6z.

c6z are bigger car & bigger wheelbase than my c5z, which is not so good, but the miles are adding up on the c5z & at a certain point I like to get a newer car with lower miles (not brand new).

Never drove a gt3, but my friends who own them say they handle like a precision dream right out of the box. He has also said they are not very much for torque at low to mid rpms (at least the older ones that I could afford) & you have to make it up with the handling.

The new 4.0 may have that fixed, but it's $185k.

Last edited by froggy47; 07-02-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:19 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Talk to some of the guys who ran the PCA event before the NCM event at VIR.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:24 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Driving a mid/rear engine car at the limit requires more skill. Add a turbo to the mix and you could have your hands full.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:39 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you considered a viper acr? Seems like a great bang for the buck car.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:15 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

You can replace the bushings in the c6 so that it feels and communicates like it should.
You should probably do a true dry sump in the C6

You can go to P-club events with a corvette (or anything) and at least for the events I go to, there will be a number of other c5/c6s there (P-car owners decide they want to go fast and are sick of paying for parts).
Buy 2 C6Z's for the price of a GT3

Ben you headed to Pocono?
Old 07-02-2011, 07:22 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by trackboss
Have you considered a viper acr? Seems like a great bang for the buck car.
I drove a 96 double bubble & was not impressed by performance & on top of that it didn't figure to me to be much good as a street/track dual purpose car, more a single purpose car.

If I do a single purpose car I'd pick up a t1 type car, but that's not what I am looking for.

Last edited by froggy47; 07-02-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:24 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
Driving a mid/rear engine car at the limit requires more skill. Add a turbo to the mix and you could have your hands full.
When you drive P cars on autox/track what are the options for active handling stuff? Can/do you turn all off like a Vette?
Old 07-02-2011, 07:29 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
I've been warned.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
When you drive P cars on autox/track what are the options for active handling stuff? Can/do you turn all off like a Vette?

it's called PSM (Porsche Stability Management). Yes, you can disable it.

I sent you a PM.

Mike
Old 07-02-2011, 08:17 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Headed to Pocono now to beat on P-cars.

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z or GT3?

Old 07-02-2011, 08:29 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what you would pay for a GT3 (assuming you want a newer 08 and up model), I think you could find a used C6Z and then upgrade the dry sump, replace the exhaust valves and valve guides, springs etc. (if you believe that's an issue...whole other thread) Strip it and cage it, put in race seats, harnesses, fire system and you'd still be ahead with money left over for consumables.

Hell, you might be able to buy a trailer to haul it around.

Jay
Old 07-02-2011, 08:42 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

There is a ton of difference in driving the two cars. Everything from pedals andhow to drive fast. Before you decide do The Porsche school at Barber.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:56 PM
ukrbmw
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, all the comments from folks who have likely never driven a GT3.

I've always wanted a Vette. I got a C5Z and ran it at the track. Yes - very fast. First time out I was clicking off 2:09s in a stock car with Rs on it. However, I felt like I was driving in Forza - I.e. On my couch with a remote control. No doubt with some upgrades it would be much better. Then my transmission went and I spent 3 weeks fighting with GM for a repair under warranty. Anyways, I sold it once it was finished.

I know have 996 GT3, which is the best bang for the buck in P-car world right now. 55k will get you a car completely setup for the track. They are very different - and I can't stress this enough! My car turns 2 minute laps at VIR and I run with C6Zs all the time - at least well driven ones. Tires last a while, so do rotors and pads. Of course some things are more - wheel bearings, mods, etc. My pads are 400 bucks, but I get 7-8 weekends out of them.

If you can - try both. They are both very, very fast, but very different in terms of drive and feel. You can't go wrong with either car, just a matter of picking the right one for you.

Also, if you go GT3 - either pick a 996 or go for 997.2 car.

Quick Reply: C6Z or GT3?