Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll Bar, Harness, and Seats Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 03:10 PM
B505
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll Bar, Harness, and Seats Questions

Hey all! Safety Upgrades will be in this week on my c6Z06

I will be installing a Pfadt Roll bar which I bought used this weekend. I think the installation should be pretty straight forward but I'm curious to know if anyone had answers to any quirky fixes they ran into.
I'm also going to be buying a recaro spg seat which I need to attach and I'm doing research to see what else is involved? Do I need airbag dummy sensors?

I'm reading up on seat rails and it looks like hardbar is the way to go...I will be calling them to see if they work well with the recaro spg seats.

Any Harness suggestions with this setup?

And lastly I bought a vetteworks hardbar before deciding to go this route. Would I still be using this or should I just go with the hardbar seat rails and go straight to those?

Thanks for the help guys, looking to be making some purchases today adn installs through out the week before this Saturday!

Fabian
Old 07-18-2011, 03:32 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

If you have not bought the Racaro seats there are others.

Do not get Leather seats, Nomex cloth is best. Leather is too slippery

Sparko, Momo Suzuka, TeamTech are a few names for seats.

Good Luck
Old 07-18-2011, 04:02 PM
B505
Instructor

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
If you have not bought the Racaro seats there are others.

Do not get Leather seats, Nomex cloth is best. Leather is too slippery

Sparko, Momo Suzuka, TeamTech are a few names for seats.

Good Luck
No I havnt purchased the seat yet. Why is it you dont like them? I tried it in an s2k and found it to be perfectly snug for my frame.
6'2" 185
Old 07-18-2011, 04:07 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

If they are not leather then they are OK. Leather gets sweaty and slippery not fire proof.

Fit is important but the Others may be much less expensive too.

Most seats have adjustment pads to put into place that helps.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:08 PM
B505
Instructor

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
If they are not leather then they are OK. Leather gets sweaty and slippery not fire proof.

Fit is important but the Others may be much less expensive too.

Most seats have adjustment pads to put into place that helps.
Of course! and I agree on the leather...not interested!
Old 07-18-2011, 10:22 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

"Do I need airbag dummy sensors?"
Is there such a thing? There is a harness/terminator to retain the functionality of the telescoping steering wheel, but I'm unaware of any such device for the air bag function.

Jim
Old 07-18-2011, 11:18 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jlutherva
"Do I need airbag dummy sensors?"
Is there such a thing? There is a harness/terminator to retain the functionality of the telescoping steering wheel, but I'm unaware of any such device for the air bag function.

Jim
Yes, you need three simulators for the drivers seat. One for the airbag in the seat, another for the seat track position sensor, and another for the seat belt pre-tensioner. If fyou don't want to take the existing harness out of your seat you will also need to buy a new seat harnes. I have been messing with this for a few months....I now have everything except the pretensioner simulator, which is on order.

Charley
Old 07-19-2011, 08:29 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
Yes, you need three simulators for the drivers seat. One for the airbag in the seat, another for the seat track position sensor, and another for the seat belt pre-tensioner. If fyou don't want to take the existing harness out of your seat you will also need to buy a new seat harnes. I have been messing with this for a few months....I now have everything except the pretensioner simulator, which is on order.

Charley
Charley, Can you share your sources for these harnesses?
Thanks,
Jim
Old 07-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jlutherva
Charley, Can you share your sources for these harnesses?
Thanks,
Jim
I don't have the entire answer yet...but, I can tell you what I know so far. If you want to make the telescoping wheel work with the standard seat removed you can purchase a harness from Pfadt...I am not sure about their current design, but,with their previous design you needed to remove the memory box from your existing seat to make the harness work. For the airbag you need to install three simulators (if you have an '08 or later with seat belt pretensioners). If you look at the picture below you will see that there are three plugs located under the seat.

The yellow plug has two sides as show below.

One side goes to the seat air bag and the other goes to the seat belt pretensioner. Vetteworks is the only company that I am aware of that sells simulators that fit into these plugs. The have been out of stock for a while, but I believe they are working on getting them in stock again.

The large plug goes to many things...but, the only part that matters for airbag simulation is a couple of wires going to the seat track position sensor. Again Vetteworks is the only source for simulators that I am aware of. In addition to the simulator you need a harness to hook the simulator to. One way to do it is to cut your existing harness from the seat and use that (seems like a PITA to me)....or you can purchase a new harness (Non memory / heat version) for ~$25 from Forum vendors. This is what the harness looks like when you get it.

You can trim all of the excess wires out and it ends up looking like this.

I may be able to trim out a couple of more wire....but, need to experiment a little more.

The third wire coming from the floor I believe is for the Memory....This is where the Pfadt harness hooks up I believe.

Charley

Last edited by Charley Hoyt; 07-19-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:27 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Thanks Charley!

Jim
Old 07-19-2011, 08:53 PM
B505
Instructor

Thanks guys! I talked to pfadt yesterday about their setup and it does not affect the airbags. The connector just allows you to preserve telescoping steering wheel function.

Charley is right about vetteworks seeming to be the only people who are working on a bypass. Apparently its hard to get the GM connectors for these badboys. I believe I will be setting my seat position and my steering wheel with the factory box plugged in, then disconnecting the box once I've adjusted the seats where I like it. Airbag light will stay on but as far as I know, wont put the car into any kind of limp mode. This just disables the use of the airbags. And since I'll be using a harness and chasis bar, I'll be ok without the bags in place.

Let me know what you find Charley as it looks like you're doing it the right way. I also have an 08

Fabian
Old 07-21-2011, 11:34 AM
B505
Instructor

Chasis bar 70% installed...having problems with the interior panels on the roof. I think I have to end up removing this for the install to go in...anyone run into this problem?

I also picked up a SCHROTH 6 pt harness last night and boy does it look great!.

Get notified of new replies

To Roll Bar, Harness, and Seats Questions

Quick Reply: Roll Bar, Harness, and Seats Questions