Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NARRA event at TWS

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 12:03 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default NARRA event at TWS

I attended the NARRA event this weekend at Texas World Speedway. NARRA took over the Viper Days events, and expanded the thing, so now there are more things to do. There are two race series, a time trial (sponsored by Whelen) and a DE series. It's a national level event, and it shows.

For example, there was plenty of parking space for single car open trailers, because most folks brought semi trailer transporters.

There were Vipers everywhere! All years and most variations were represented. They were fast too. The top dogs were pushing down to 1:40 around TWS, which is very fast on the 2.9 mile track. It's a hoot to see the green flag drop and hear multiple 10 cylinder engines go to full song.

Viper Days used to tolerate Corvettes; now they welcome us. It's a subtle but welcome change.

There is lots of press coverage. You will end up on web TV someplace, if you compete and win. Never seen that before at an amateur race.

I competed in and won both days in the time trial 2 class. The rules are very open, and are based on HP/Weight ratio like NASA, but with somewhat fewer other restrictions. The level of competition was very good, and everyone was congenial. The contingency sponsorship for the time trial is Cool Shirt and Hoosier. So I came home with a full set of new tires and $200 in cool shirt coupons.

I would recommend doing a NARRA event if they come to your area. They are at most of the famous tracks in the US, and it's a great bunch of folks.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

"The top dogs were pushing down to 1:40 around TWS, which is very fast on the 2.9 mile track"

1.40 flat? Which direction did you run?
Old 09-05-2011, 03:26 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by yakisoba
I attended the NARRA event this weekend at Texas World Speedway. NARRA took over the Viper Days events, and expanded the thing, so now there are more things to do. There are two race series, a time trial (sponsored by Whelen) and a DE series. It's a national level event, and it shows.

For example, there was plenty of parking space for single car open trailers, because most folks brought semi trailer transporters.

There were Vipers everywhere! All years and most variations were represented. They were fast too. The top dogs were pushing down to 1:40 around TWS, which is very fast on the 2.9 mile track. It's a hoot to see the green flag drop and hear multiple 10 cylinder engines go to full song.

Viper Days used to tolerate Corvettes; now they welcome us. It's a subtle but welcome change.

There is lots of press coverage. You will end up on web TV someplace, if you compete and win. Never seen that before at an amateur race.

I competed in and won both days in the time trial 2 class. The rules are very open, and are based on HP/Weight ratio like NASA, but with somewhat fewer other restrictions. The level of competition was very good, and everyone was congenial. The contingency sponsorship for the time trial is Cool Shirt and Hoosier. So I came home with a full set of new tires and $200 in cool shirt coupons.

I would recommend doing a NARRA event if they come to your area. They are at most of the famous tracks in the US, and it's a great bunch of folks.
I ran with them at Road Atlanta and hope to run again in Daytona. I provided a lot of advice on the TT rules.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:54 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
I ran with them at Road Atlanta and hope to run again in Daytona. I provided a lot of advice on the TT rules.
They should pay you too.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:37 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Originally Posted by Corvee
"The top dogs were pushing down to 1:40 around TWS, which is very fast on the 2.9 mile track"

1.40 flat? Which direction did you run?
Counter clockwise. There was a tailwind down the front straight, but still that's fast.

@ varkso: Thanks are in order then. I'd say that the rules are pretty good, and keeping things simple was a great idea.

Seriously folks. If you go and compete in TT2, you'll be facing SRT-4 and less powerful vipers. Corvettes rule in that sort of field. TT1 is a little harder. 6.5:1 HP to weight is 507 rwhp at 3300 pounds. That's a tall order, so you would want a very, very light car. TTU, well, that's unlimited. Bring out that ZR-1!

Last edited by yakisoba; 09-05-2011 at 10:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To NARRA event at TWS

Quick Reply: NARRA event at TWS