Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winch & Tow hook

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:52 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Winch & Tow hook

Yep I hit that slippery slope of road coursing

I have had the truck and the car to race but I needed a trailer and a friend tossed his up for sale. $800 later I now own a 16' flatbed trailer. It has built in ramps and runs great. Needs 1 tire for sure and the other 3 are worn on the inside edges a bit from I am guessing someone running a heavy load with under inflated tires. It tows perfectly fine and doesn't bounce so its not the axles. I also am going to drop the fenders so I don't have to dukes of hazard it every time I trailer the car. Also it has electric brakes but they aren't wired up. If anyone knows someone in the atlanta area that does the work that would be great to know too.

Now I want to mount a winch on it so I can get the car on the trailer myself comfortably. So I need to know what I can mount on there without breaking the bank. Also need advice on which tow hitch to put on the car. I think I am going to just have the shop install the tow hitch because I don't feel like dealing with that whole business. This is all for a C6Z.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:57 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Harbor Freight has a new line of winches! I put there 3000# in my new enclosed trailer and it works great, they also have a 5000# if you would rather have some extra power. You can get either on sale for a great price at HB. Also just mount a deep cycle battery right on the trailer and charge it before you go and it will last, no problem. Just my .02 JD
Old 09-06-2011, 10:07 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Harbor Freight has a new line of winches! I put there 3000# in my new enclosed trailer and it works great, they also have a 5000# if you would rather have some extra power. You can get either on sale for a great price at HB. Also just mount a deep cycle battery right on the trailer and charge it before you go and it will last, no problem. Just my .02 JD
Yeah my friend suggested HF but said they die out pretty quickly
Old 09-06-2011, 11:36 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the #3000 lb HF - still going strong after 2 1/2 yrs. Acutally used it at RA back in June. I had the HF port a power thing and it worked for a while, but it got to where it wouldn't charge very good. Trying to find 25 ft jumper cables to just power from truck battery now. I also have a receiver welded to front of trailer to mount winch. Locks in with clevis pin so I don't have to leave it out in the rain. congrats on the trailer. It takes a lot of pressure off while at the track.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:42 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whatcop?
if you know anything about corvette racing you get ur winch 1st go ahead spend the money on a warn and at least 5000 pounds it will be worth it...mount a resse reciver on the front of your trailer then bolt or weld your winch to a trailer ball mount.. then u can take it off to save it from the weather....or use it to pull your truck out of a hole in the back yard when you try to get your boat out too early in the spring (dont ask me how i know that!!!) ps you might think about mounting it to the left or right side of the front of the trailer in line with ur cars frame rails then u can use ur tow hook to winch the car up....i put mine in the center and it kinda sucks

Last edited by TRACKMAN2; 09-06-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:17 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by whatcop?
SECRET!!!! My HF 9000lb winch which is way overkill is actually a Ramsey winch!. If you down load the Ramsey instruction manual with exploded diagram it is exactly like the one that comes with the one from HF but does not say Ramsey. I also needed a solinoid once for it and bought it right from Ramsey and it worked fine and looks to be the Ramey OE winch without Ramsey labeling. My winch has been working for 10 years now.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:21 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

I think if I go the HF route I am going to snag up the 5000# unit because its only $40 more than the 3000# unit.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:20 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My HF 5000# is on it's last leg. Bought it in early 2010, and regret not getting a Warn.
You get what you pay for and I sure did with this winch.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:30 AM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also get a bridle with t hooks I got mine from MAC custom tie downs
Old 09-07-2011, 08:07 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dfinke23
My HF 5000# is on it's last leg. Bought it in early 2010, and regret not getting a Warn.
You get what you pay for and I sure did with this winch.
Argh you just had to go and ruin my fun lol.

Superwinch has the UTV4000 on sale for $199
Old 09-07-2011, 08:11 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Think about a stone guard on front of the trailer bed to protect the car in travel

Looks Great
Old 09-07-2011, 10:21 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

If the fenders are removeable why not use some scrap 2by(4, 10, 12) where the driver front tire goes. Thats what I use on mine to get the last bit of clearance to open the driver door with the fender off.

Trailer wiring - do it yourself! Mine came pre wired and now I need to spend a couple of days re-wiring the brakes and some of the running lights
Old 09-07-2011, 10:37 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You should also consider replacing ALL of the tires and get a spare. Otherwise, you stand a high probability of a blowout, especially down south in the hotter weather. Trailer tires are generally inflated to 50 PSI, and are only good for about 3-4 years.

Jim
Old 09-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

I have probably had 20-25 SuperWinches in my life and I never had one fail.

You should check into wiring your battery into your tow vehicle electrical system so the battery is charged when you tow and you can forget it. My trailer battery is also the same one for my Corvette so if/when I have a car battery issue I can just change them out. My toe vehicle had all the wiring already at the rear of the truck!

Nice trailer!

Jim
Old 09-07-2011, 11:51 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jaa1992
If the fenders are removeable why not use some scrap 2by(4, 10, 12) where the driver front tire goes. Thats what I use on mine to get the last bit of clearance to open the driver door with the fender off.

Trailer wiring - do it yourself! Mine came pre wired and now I need to spend a couple of days re-wiring the brakes and some of the running lights

The fenders aren't removable. The one on the passenger side had bad welds so my friend removed it. I am going to have someone remove the other and then drill them in lower with wingnuts so that way if I need to remove them I can.

Originally Posted by jlutherva
You should also consider replacing ALL of the tires and get a spare. Otherwise, you stand a high probability of a blowout, especially down south in the hotter weather. Trailer tires are generally inflated to 50 PSI, and are only good for about 3-4 years.

Jim
I think thats what its looking like

Originally Posted by Painrace
I have probably had 20-25 SuperWinches in my life and I never had one fail.

You should check into wiring your battery into your tow vehicle electrical system so the battery is charged when you tow and you can forget it. My trailer battery is also the same one for my Corvette so if/when I have a car battery issue I can just change them out. My toe vehicle had all the wiring already at the rear of the truck!

Nice trailer!

Jim
I am thinking about running terminals to the back of my truck so I can just jump off of that if I need to.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:45 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Jim
Grrr you jinxed me and I ended up ordering 4 tires and wheels....There goes another $386
Old 09-15-2011, 10:15 AM
Z07coupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like some folks have had better luck with Harbor Frt winches than I. had to return one that I had. (3500, I think.)

Here is another source of winch equipment.

http://www.winchdepot.com/

http://www.winchdepot.com/Winches-Wi...0704&t_pl=6428

http://www.winchdepot.com/Winches-Wi...t_c=18&t_s=126

Winches are a good idea, but driving up the ramps is more exciting.

Get notified of new replies

To Winch & Tow hook

Old 09-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I actually mounted a small solar charger to the top of the toolbox on my trailer. It keeps the winch battery charged whether I'm using it or not.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

I use Superwinch. I got a 4000 lb unit for under $300.00 through Amazon. I also use a winch block that I attach to the tow hook on the car, then run the winch cable end back to the front of my trailer. That gives me an effective 8,000 lb pull. I also hard wired a plug in the rear of my Yukon for the winch to plug into - no additional battery to worry about.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:21 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Jim

Quick Reply: Winch & Tow hook