Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road course auto TCC tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 11:03 PM
TurboCorky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Road course auto TCC tune

I searched through all the threads related to autos on a road course, but didn't come up with anything about locking the converter.

I'm looking at taking my built Z to an HOD event in a few weeks. Being a long time drag racer, I'm really excited to try something completly new. I'm also scared how addicting road racing might be compared to drag racing

What I'm wondering from anybody who has much time under their belt with in auto is, are you setting up for TCC apply/release values to lock up the converter during your run? I'm not sure if trying to keep it locked up is the ticket, especially to help decel going into a corner. I know an auto will be a nightmare on the brakes.

My converter isn't too loose, but it's not stock either. I have a big trans coolor up front, and will be running an open screen in place of my front license plate to help with temps, but it's still a concern.

Thanks,
Corey
Old 09-07-2011, 06:46 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Converter on a manual trans?

If you have a auto then learning to shift the automatic is a must. Never let the automatic trans shift itself as it will shift in the wrong places.

Downshifting right before corner turn in, and upshifting after the corner if needed.

Good Luck
Old 09-07-2011, 10:24 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Converter on a manual trans?

If you have a auto then learning to shift the automatic is a must. Never let the automatic trans shift itself as it will shift in the wrong places.

Downshifting right before corner turn in, and upshifting after the corner if needed.

Good Luck
I started HPDE in an 88 automatic. I've instructed several students with automatics. Down shift while on the brakes for turn in, up shift at track out or when RPM is close to the upshift point.
The auto will down shift right at the apex and you'll be in the sand or worse.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Evilash
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was worried about the shifting at first also.
I have two track days now in this car, many others in different stick car, and the auto shifting is the least of my problems.
Tires, then brake pads (HPS Plus's worked just fine to slow me down from 140mph), then oil temps and PCV pressure (got up to 275 and blew out a rear seal, then shocks seemed to be more cause for concern to me.
I may not be extracting every last second from my lap but at Pacific we have trees to run off into. I just leave it in D and work on my line and braking. With more practice I would work the shifting as said above by those who know this more than I.
I did remember to try competitive mode on my last time out but that's when the motor blew out and got black flagged so I don't know how much better it would be.
I have 525hp going through a 3,200 Yank into 3.42's with an agressive drag race program.
I got too agressive on exit and it did step out once but other than that my oil temps were more of a concern than the trans.

I don't love it and I have a 6 speed to replace it but the trans and program woudn't keep me from going.
Have fun and good luck with it.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:16 PM
TurboCorky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thanks for the quick feedback.

I remember someone mentioning that allowing the auto to up shift by itself could end up shifting at the wrong time and could put you in the dirt.

My car puts down 700rwhp through an auto, so I'm easy throttle transitions will probably be in order.

Watching some of the videos on the site has been helpful from the perspective that consistency is the key and drive well within the skill limit.

Evilash, are you locking up the converter at all? That's what I'm really curious about.

Thanks again for everyones input, its much appreciated.

Corey
Old 09-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Evilash
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes the converter is set up to lock.
This was a dual purpose street/drag car before I got it.

Get notified of new replies

To Road course auto TCC tune

Quick Reply: Road course auto TCC tune