Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about tracking a Chevy Cobalt

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 02:56 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Question about tracking a Chevy Cobalt

Curious if anyone happens to know:

I'm thinking of picking up a Chevy Cobalt and helping a friend learn to track with it. Question: Can upgrade the suspension of a base cobalt to that of the SS version with GM parts for a reasonable price? No point in messing with a base Cobalt unless I can make it handle.

Thanks,

Andy
Old 10-03-2011, 03:22 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

99 C5's are selling for 10,000

I can not make a rational post right now with the information given, gotta stop there.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I built Cavaliers, owned one, and have driven the Cobalt built in the same factory. I wouldn't let someone I like drive one on the highway, much less the track.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:31 PM
punz
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

I was talking to some one at the track today that was tracking a 09 SS Cobolt. He was saying the 09 and newer SS's have a much better suspension and brakes than previous years, it was also was a tubro charged 4 cylinder with some decent torque at low rpm's. Not sure if they are rear wd or front. Not to bad for the kid learning to track.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:34 PM
quickc6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by punz
I was talking to some one at the track today that was tracking a 09 SS Cobolt. He was saying the 09 and newer SS's have a much better suspension and brakes than previous years, it was also was a tubro charged 4 cylinder with some decent torque at low rpm's. Not sure if they are rear wd or front. Not to bad for the kid learning to track.
if its the SS. Front wheel drive
Tris
Old 10-03-2011, 11:14 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I had a pretty advanced student in a SS Cobalt last year at CMP. He did really well with it, but it just felt like a ricer to me. Totally different ball game that the Vette.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:18 PM
c4pappy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go here:

http://www.gmsportcompact.net/forums/forum.php

Powell and his friends know everything Cobalt.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:23 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

You could also call Phoenix performance and ask them. They built and raced some in Showroom Stock a few years ago.

While it might not be as fun as a high HP car on track, I think it's a good place to start and if it gets balled up there's tons more out there to put parts on. Plus it's a good starter car to get track experience.

I never tracked my 06 SS (supercharged version) but know a few that did. The base cars did have discs in the rear and were 4 bolt wheels but all the SS suspension and such will be able to be swapped out for the earlier SS gear.
Don't know what they did with the newer version with Brembos in regards to using on older cars, but I'm sure it's been done.
All the good parts (suspension) should be usable. Koni makes a single adjustable shock kit for them ( strut inserts up front ).

Hope it helps some.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:21 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

We had some of the Colbalt Engineers driving them at the NCM Event.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Vette53
Instructor

I am not sure how much you want to spend but... I know you can pick up a very good Miata (1990-1993) that some one has already put a roll bar and suspension parts into for less than 5k. I have seen many Spec Miata cars sell for 8-10k. IMO, you can not get a better performing, more reliable and cheap track car than a Miata. Parts are everywhere for dirt cheap. I track a Spec Miata and love it. I know there are plenty of people that love front wheel drive, but not me. I will never own a front wheel drive track car. That is my personal preference.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:22 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Spec Miata race ready. would be the way to go.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:51 AM
ooldguy
Intermediate

I agree with starting out in a Miata.

If you'd like to discuss, I ran an '08 Cobalt SS for 2 season's in NASA TT and Midwestern Council Hi-Speed AX.

With a n/a Cavalier / Cobalt you'll end up driving every session in your rear view mirror.

Robert Dudek
MC HSAX Director
MC HSAX Car Class Committee Chair
former NASA Instructor
Old 10-04-2011, 09:08 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

If you are gonna go with low HP cars like that, the Miata would be a MUCH better option.
You would also have something to sell when you are ready to move on. With the Cobalt....not so much.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:50 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by punz
FWD, and the turbo charged SS Cobalts beat the same model year WRX STi's around Road Atlanta. They also won the Runoffs a couple years running in T2 (might've been T3?), they are very capable cars in the right hands
Old 10-04-2011, 12:57 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ooldguy
I agree with starting out in a Miata.

If you'd like to discuss, I ran an '08 Cobalt SS for 2 season's in NASA TT and Midwestern Council Hi-Speed AX.

With a n/a Cavalier / Cobalt you'll end up driving every session in your rear view mirror.

Robert Dudek
MC HSAX Director
MC HSAX Car Class Committee Chair
former NASA Instructor
Thanks for the info. and link (I need to go get an account there...didn't find answer by seach)! I agree on the Miata but the idea here is to replace my daily driver so it needs a back seat for the kids (day care). Then, with a good suspension(from the SS) it would still be fun for somebody new to HPDE for a few times to get there feet wet.

I should add I really like a car that handles well for daily driving. Since I try to buy only domestic, the SS comes to mind but I won't need the HP for commuting (and I don't want to fix the turbo if it goes bad...want reliability). I remember Road & Track had a shoot out for cars <20k and the Cobalt SS was #1 out of 10-15 entries. I think Heinricy was involved in the suspension.

Robert, do you know if GM sells a kit to upgrade the base cobalt suspension to SS? Is it commonly done some other way?

Andy
Old 10-04-2011, 04:56 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

It's not just the handling of it, but the brakes, seats, and transmission as well. The interior is a night and day difference, they have no lift shift, launch control etc...and the MPG isn't bad at all if you stay out of the turbo, rated at like 22/30 and like most other manual trans GM cars gets better than advertised. It's honestly worth it over a standard Cobalt if "track" ever comes to mind, even for a beginner (especially for the brakes and seats standard)
Old 10-04-2011, 07:18 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just sold my 08 Cobalt SS so I have a little experience with the Cobalt. I'm an ex motorcycle road racer that still does track days regularly with both my Yamaha R1 and my C5 Z06. I run in the advanced group with both cars and bikes. I did not track the SS. I bought it as a fast and fun commuter car. I did a lot of research before I bought the car and I read everything I could on the Cobalt forums while I had it.

Here's what I learned:

As SIK02SS mentioned above, the 08-10 Cobalt SS is an amazingly fast and capable little car. On the road it can be as fast or faster than a Z06 depending on road conditions. And yes, in all the comparisons of sport compacts it kicks butt on comparable cars and beats lots of way more expensive cars. Easily as good in the bang for your buck category as a C5 Z06.

Unlike the SS, the regular Cobalt is a total dog on the street and would be even worse as a track car. The two cars may look similar but the suspension, brakes, wheels, interior items, and especially the engine/driveline are not the same. Upgrading to SS trim could not possibly be cost effective.

If you spend about 100 hours wading through the retarded useless posts by 19 year olds on the Cobalt forums you'll probably reach the same conclusion. Just trying to answer your question and save you some time.

So now that I've answered the Cobalt upgrade question and suggested you should go in another direction, my advice would be to follow the other posters advice and look for a different beginner track car, or just get an 08-10 SS rather than trying to upgrade the turd version. You can get low mileage used 08-10 SS Cobalts for approximately $12-18k. Higher mileage for a little less money.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Dog

Get notified of new replies

To Question about tracking a Chevy Cobalt

Old 10-07-2011, 12:10 AM
J.Yo
Intermediate

Many people look down on the Cobalt. I'm in the minority in supporting your thought of tracking a regular Cobalt on track. Along with my Vette, I have a Cobalt SS Turbocharged and I like it a lot; great handling car with an amazing engine.

The one thing to keep in mind when preparing any Cobalt for track duty (except for the Cobalt SS turbocharged version), is that the steering knuckle needs to be replaced with the GM competition version, or the Cobalt SS turbocharged version; they are stronger. I would call Phoenix Racing and see if they would be willing to share some information with you, as they know the car very well.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:41 AM
Bakerking31
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

depends on the year, the newer ones can handle very well with ss suspension, better than many rwd cars.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:59 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Think Spec Miata. Every time I'm on the track with them I know I should have bought one. First the tires are light and you won't get a hernia lifting them. They're really easy to get on and off the trailer. Plus, they generally eat Corvettes in the corners.

I haven't figured out what the downside to a Spec Miata is.

Richard Newton

Quick Reply: Question about tracking a Chevy Cobalt