Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

f55 suspension 2006 c6 question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 05:13 AM
frankgtb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default f55 suspension 2006 c6 question

anyone track a bone stock f55 c6 that runs perfectly normal and smooth on the street going home from the track but develops lots of vibrations under hard braking [not warped rotor pedal vibration] and hard cornering when driven on the limit on a roadcourse????

should tell you all that i only track worn, street compound tires but i do track my c6 like i stole it

Last edited by frankgtb; 10-27-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Before I changed to coil-over's I ran my F55 equipped C6 on the track (with various anti-sway bars and tire combinations). I never experienced any 'track' vibration. I don't know the details of your problem but in general, you're bound to be driving the car quite-a-bit differently on the track than you would on the street. I'd eliminate the obvious things first....tire balance, alignment, etc. I'm not suggesting you go push your car on the street (to find out) but given similar inputs it's unlikely the F55 suspension would react differently on the track versus the street. Good luck.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:37 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default are coil overs worth it?

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Before I changed to coil-over's I ran my F55 equipped C6 on the track (with various anti-sway bars and tire combinations). I never experienced any 'track' vibration. I don't know the details of your problem but in general, you're bound to be driving the car quite-a-bit differently on the track than you would on the street. I'd eliminate the obvious things first....tire balance, alignment, etc. I'm not suggesting you go push your car on the street (to find out) but given similar inputs it's unlikely the F55 suspension would react differently on the track versus the street. Good luck.
Wondering how different the coil overs have worked for you? This is the 4th season I have been running my '08 C6 w/ F55s. Have had a set of Pfadt anti sways, good race brake pads/rotors and Hoosier A6s. I have always wondered how much different a set of coil overs would be on the track, especially since GM has the new Z06 and ZR1 with magnetic rides. Has it been worth the money to add coil overs? Which ones do you have?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:30 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by frankgtb
anyone track a f55 c6 that runs fine and smooth on the street but develops lots of vibrations on the track????
I tracked my F55 2006 C6 and never saw any vibrations either.

As I put stickier rubber on the car I found the springs of the F55 suspension to be way too soft and I was rubbing the tires against the inner fender liners at all four corners -- a track with any elevation changes will bottom out the suspension and put you on the bump stops. Driving on the bump stop rubber makes you slow, so I switched to Penske double adjustable shocks with hypercoil dual rate springs and that made a huge improvement.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:39 AM
frankgtb
Instructor

Originally Posted by naschmitz
I tracked my F55 2006 C6 and never saw any vibrations either.

As I put stickier rubber on the car I found the springs of the F55 suspension to be way too soft and I was rubbing the tires against the inner fender liners at all four corners -- a track with any elevation changes will bottom out the suspension and put you on the bump stops. Driving on the bump stop rubber makes you slow, so I switched to Penske double adjustable shocks with hypercoil dual rate springs and that made a huge improvement.
thx for your help ...
should have told you all that i only track worn, street compound tires but i do track my c6 like i stole it....
question i have no doubt a quality shock will improve ride quality over the questionable f55 and all other factory shocks but honestly did your Penske double adjustable shocks with hypercoil dual rate springs actually show a noticable decrease in laptime??????and if so by only afew tenths or seconds?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:45 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by frankgtb
thx for your help ...
should have told you all that i only track worn, street compound tires but i do track my c6 like i stole it....
question i have no doubt a quality shock will improve ride quality over the questionable f55 and all other factory shocks but honestly did your Penske double adjustable shocks with hypercoil dual rate springs actually show a noticable decrease in laptime??????and if so by only afew tenths or seconds?
If you find you are running into the bump stops, you effectively have no suspension and will lose several seconds per lap. You lose traction on a loaded tire and that is the worse thing that can happen.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:58 AM
frankgtb
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wayne O
tire balance is smooth as silk on the drive home from the track....
tracks straight and all 4 tires wearing very evenly...
no sign of shock fluid leaking or shock/suspension warning light
Old 10-27-2011, 02:55 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Default Other things to look at, besides alignment and wheel balancing

I had a bent wheel that was fine on the street and caused vibrations at track speeds (100mph+).

Most recently I had a cracked rotor that only vibrated when it was hotter than it would ever get on the street -- hairline cracks in the rotor that almost closed up when the rotor cooled down.

Also had enough rubber pickup to cause vibrations, but that showed up on the drive home too.

Get notified of new replies

To f55 suspension 2006 c6 question

Quick Reply: f55 suspension 2006 c6 question