Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

diffrences between a c5 and a c6 on the track

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 10:28 AM
repman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diffrences between a c5 and a c6 on the track

I am planning on buying my first Corvette and I need some advice on the differences of the two cars .

I have been Supra owner (single turbo 650+ rwhp) that I used for a street , track day car. It was converted to a wide body car with 335 tires out back and 275 up front.

It was a good compromise of street/track
with coil overs , big brakes , wide r compound tires ( both street and track Ra1's) good power big sway bars, ect.

I sold that car and I am looking for a new play car and I have settled in on a vette but have no real experience with them.

I actually like the look of the C5 frc/zo6 body style better than the c6-zo6 style but that's all in the eye of the beholder what I am curious about for those of you who have had both which is the better all purpose car?

I would be adding sway bars , coil overs , light rims and r compound tires of equal size and power levels about equal .

My question is does the newer car c6 have enormous advantages over the older model and if so maybe point out a few of the differences .

Thanks for any input from this group as I make my decision, I appreciate it
Old 01-06-2012, 10:38 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry not to answer directly, but search the forum first. there are a bunch of posts I remember seeing on this topic. are you limiting your choices to the z06 versions of each generation? if so cost is the first factor I think of. c6z much faster, but everything consumable is a lot more expensive.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:52 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

I went through the same transition, selling a Supra Turbo and investing in a couple of Vettes.

Short answer: The C6 Z06 is faster than the C5 counterpart but more fragile and more expensive to campaign. The LS7 is more prone to failure than the less powerful LS6, without oiling system upgrades, and the C6 electronics are more intrusive.

But by all means search the forum.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:46 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Depends on your percentages of street vs. track. Mostly street with a few trackdays then get the C6Z06. It's a nicer car on the inside and faster. If the car will be a trackday car you want to drive on the street some then get a C5 Z06 and mod it. Cheaper cost of entry and cheaper to maintain. Steel frame and less electronic nannies are easier to deal with.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by repman
I would be adding sway bars , coil overs , light rims and r compound tires of equal size and power levels about equal .
Your comment above removes a factory to factory car comparison. If you are going to mod the car with power, stick with the C5 because it will be cheaper to get into.

My only pause for caution is the amenity sacrifice you will be making as the C6 offers far more daily driver friendliness toys.

What is your budget?

Mike
Old 01-06-2012, 01:26 PM
repman
Instructor

Guys thanks for all of the replies , You all kind of confirmed what I had been thinking the interior and amenities are nicer in the c6 which I anticipated . It sounds like with the mods I would be doing they would be of similar performance on the track ( I will bring the LS6 engine up to similar hp levels as the 7 litre ) I guess I will be missing the dry sump oiling but from a dynamic level it sounds like the C5 can perform as well as a c6 with similar suspension and brake upgrades . now its just a question of the math and is it cost effective to bring a c5 up to c6 specs in the areas it lacks ( power , brakes, tire width ) or just cheaper to get a c6 and build on that platform.

Thanks for all the help I appreciate it.

Last edited by repman; 01-06-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Z06trackman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like the look of the C5 better than the C6, and if you are going to build it anyway, I can't think of a single reason to buy a C6. They are the same chasis and suspension (except the C6Z has aluminum frame), and the same crappy seats. Only the brakes are better, and then only on the C6Z and C6GS, all other models for both generations will need brakes replaced for 650HP (some would say the C6Zand C6GS need fronts replaced).

Bottom line - since you are going to replace the engine, springs, shocks and brakes (except maybe C6Z), go with the cheaper, less electronic nannied, and for you, better looking C5.

Don't forget cooling for the engine oil, trans, and diff.

BTW - try it with the stock Z06 suspension and good shocks - you might like it as is. I had a 94 Supra TT before I went C5Z and I tracked them both. You are going to love the Corvette!

Last edited by Z06trackman; 01-06-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:02 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are tracking only buy a C5 modded by someone else who spent a bundle it will be a lot cheaper. For dual use it depends on your pocketbook and how bad you want to beat it on track. C5 leaves more money for mods of your own. C6Z will be a lot faster and you may save on motor mods to an LS6.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:25 PM
MartyZ51
Instructor

The C6 is a significant track machine but it has a lot of computer involvement in your decision making. Examples of modifications that might cause a computer nanny to question your decision making: front and back tire diameter, front racing seats, tire pressure monitoring system, 100k drivetrain warranty....

Go with a C5 and drive it hard!
Old 01-06-2012, 07:51 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

In my opinion, Shortthrow is one of the best people to listen to on this issue, cause he has done it all right! Of paramount importance is whether or not you intend to "cage" your car, because of the C6 Z06 Aluminum frame, which is incompatible with a welded in steel cage.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:59 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

C5's are faster and have much better drivers
Old 01-06-2012, 10:23 PM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

funny how somebody always has to make it personal and ugly. Actually just kidding. However, at Nasa Rd. Atl early december I turned a 1:28.5 in a street legal full interior C6Z06 that still has air conditioning and navigation in the dash. You have to get into a radically moded c5 to turn laps like that! LOL Jerry
Old 01-06-2012, 10:46 PM
repman
Instructor

Guys, thanks for all the info very helpful in my decision making.

I think I will be going with the c5 and modify it for my needs.

Larry
Old 01-07-2012, 12:28 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I had it to do all over again (and I have spent way too much money on this "hobby") I would either buy a C5 and build it myself, or I would buy a C5 that someone has already built, and then drive the heck out of it, and primarily - learn to drive.

It all depends on what you want to do - "You pays your money and you takes your chances".
Old 01-07-2012, 08:03 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by Timz06
C5's are faster and have much better drivers
More modest too. If you don't believe us, just ask us.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:13 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Mod order

Contract patches first:

Brake Pads, Brake Fluid
Tires
Seats and harnesses

2nd order for mods:

Cooling

brake cooling
Oil Cooling
Transmission and Diff cooler
Larger Radiator
Old 01-07-2012, 08:15 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jason
More modest too. If you don't believe us, just ask us.
Timz06 C5's are faster and have much better drivers

Both of these guys are C5 Mafia...

Get notified of new replies

To diffrences between a c5 and a c6 on the track

Old 01-07-2012, 11:15 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jstout
funny how somebody always has to make it personal and ugly. Actually just kidding. However, at Nasa Rd. Atl early december I turned a 1:28.5 in a street legal full interior C6Z06 that still has air conditioning and navigation in the dash. You have to get into a radically moded c5 to turn laps like that! LOL Jerry

Jerry,

If you are who I think you are, your yellow "street legal C6Z06" is a monster with aero and a cam lope sweet enough to give me wood. Twice the car of my little red C5Z06.

-Kevin
Old 01-07-2012, 11:25 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

As others have said, if I were starting over again I'd buy a C5 Z06 T1 prepped car. For what Joe Aquilante at Phoenix Performance and others sell these cars for you can't buy one and build yourself.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

C5z-C6 are comparable, C6Z is another animal, I was referring to non Z C6's.

Tim

Quick Reply: diffrences between a c5 and a c6 on the track