Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your thoughts on cargo carrier vs trailer.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Alludc
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Your thoughts on cargo carrier vs trailer.

id 'prefer' to not run a trailer. all I am carrying is my 4 wheels/tires. think thats too much (tounge) weight to run on a hitch? the hitch will obvioiusly be fine, more worried about the car itself. would be approx 275lbs total with the cargo carrier + tires.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:02 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that. It'd probably make the back of the car sag badly. Everyone I know, myself included, does the tire trailer thing before getting a car trailer. The nice thing about a proper tire trailer is that you can add a big storage box to keep extra stuff in.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:07 PM
Alludc
Pro

couple miatas do it locally, with obviously smaller tires. but theyre smaller cars too so figured all would be equal-ish
as of right now, I have all 4 tires IN the car. yes, im serious
Old 01-24-2012, 03:09 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

It's worth a shot. If it doesn't work you could always sell the carrier and get a tire trailer.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:00 PM
track wish
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carrier

I think it would work fine, have seen just tire racks across the back of cars. The people that use them say their are no ill effects. The nice thing about it is where speeds are limited with a trailer you are able to drive the posted limit with the carrier. Who makes it and what size is it?
Old 01-24-2012, 04:05 PM
Alludc
Pro

32x48 pro series

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-....html?feed=npn
Old 01-24-2012, 04:44 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by track wish
I think it would work fine, have seen just tire racks across the back of cars. The people that use them say their are no ill effects. The nice thing about it is where speeds are limited with a trailer you are able to drive the posted limit with the carrier. Who makes it and what size is it?
Tire trailers do very well at or above the speed limit, tire trailers are nice because you can bring all the extras, tools, pop up tent, etc
Old 01-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Alludc
Pro

large events in my future, maybe. but for now, I drive to and from my house for a max of 2hrs to autox at diff venues and I dont want the trailer, yet. I carry enough tools in a small plastic bin, and my 4 tires. if I can travel with all that INSIDE my car currently, I feel that I am far from needing a trailer.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:06 AM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd be hesitant to do that, but then I know a person who had a tire trailer flip on him (he was going a little fast, maybe)

If you can carry all that stuff now, maybe you can just carry some of the tires on the rack to free up some interior space?
Old 01-25-2012, 07:57 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Our frames are certainly strong enough, just be sure and mount the hitch correctly. Make sure the hitch you use is rated for the weight of the carrier + the wheels&tires.

Edit: are those carrier/trays rated to carry 200+lbs?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:04 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

a small trailer may be better to load, unload and tow.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:15 AM
GCMan
Instructor

I was looking at doing the hitch tire carrier also. With diesel going thru the roof for towing I was thinking of trying this approach for some events. I found pictures of one in the C6 section of a guy who made on. Just do a search over there with something like "trailer hitch" and you should find it. It is basically a T shaped deal where you put two tires on either side of center. It looked like you could still see his tail lights just barely. Obviously you would really need to relocate your license plate to the back somehow to be legal. If you got the hitch that states a 250# weight limit then you should be just under that with four tires and the metal frame.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:20 AM
GCMan
Instructor

Here it is:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...and-hitch.html
Old 01-25-2012, 12:12 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

that would be like always having downforce from a good aero setup the car should be able to handle it - you may need to put a few extra psi into rear tires.

having lived w tire trailer for 2 and a half years, i do have to say that lower speed limits and bad hwy surfaces are super annoying and this would address that.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:25 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alludc
large events in my future, maybe. but for now, I drive to and from my house for a max of 2hrs to autox at diff venues and I dont want the trailer, yet. I carry enough tools in a small plastic bin, and my 4 tires. if I can travel with all that INSIDE my car currently, I feel that I am far from needing a trailer.
How, may I ask, do you get 4 tires in the C5? Coupe or Z06? I can't see it for the Z.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:03 AM
Ludeaem
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bumping this to see if anyone has done one of the carriers opposed a trailer?
Old 12-30-2015, 12:12 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Trailer. You will always add more things to take with you....not take less.

Get notified of new replies

To Your thoughts on cargo carrier vs trailer.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:20 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Trailer speed limits????

I've towed my tire trailer for more than 25 years... Never drove any slower than I would have without it...

I've cruised just on the south side of 80 most of the time, the limit being "ticket city" and not the trailer...

Once some clown in beat up ricer wanted to follow me closely after I had passed him... so I "left him"... ran close to 100 for about 10 miles and he was gone... Trailer was still back there the last time I looked...

Every 10 years or so I put new seals in it (and it probably needs to be done again) and other than tires, that's been the total maintenance.. Never had a flat or lost a tire on the road, they just got so old and dry rotted that I decided to put new ones on... and OBTW my trailer was made from a "Kmart" or Harbor Freight trailer, it just had bins and a car topper bolted on plywood that sits on that frame, and that includes the small wheels that lots of folks say are bad because they turn so fast.. Never had any issues related to wheels or tires.

I can see where the rack idea is easier and you don't have to license it, but you'll need to move the plate to behind the tires every time you use it and the tires are still out in the open and can get stolen so there's always that issue. Best thing is a small trailer and some kind of box to keep the tires out of view...

Last edited by Solofast; 12-30-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:38 PM
Ludeaem
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I am keeping costs in mind here. A trailer is:

- more expensive
- harder to store if you don't have much room
- Have to register it
- Does offer more flexibility though and perhaps more stability than a carrier.

I wanted to see if anyone had done a carrier like the OP has because doing a google search did not bring up one. I found a roof rack that didn't look safe and a bike rack that looked iffy as well. Keep the comments coming. Thanks
Old 12-30-2015, 01:45 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Done it.

works great but I am limiting it to about 150 lbs

Ran One Lap of America in 2015 with this setup:

Here is the final version:

I added the sliding legs with casters and placed the spare inside the cargo box for theft prevention. Also added lights.

We drove well into the triple digits on every leg of OLOA with no problems that a trailer would not allow us to do. 600-700 mile transits in 7-8 hours

There are ice chests on either side of the cargo box.

Last edited by fmcokc; 12-30-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on cargo carrier vs trailer.