Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

custom seats used by pros, creafoam

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 12:30 AM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default custom seats used by pros, creafoam

I did a search and came up blank. Is anyone using this. I saw it on bald spot sports. Custom seat used by a few pro series groups. Would it be possible to use this in a c6z06. Wonder if this is in the c6r. They also sell foam for the doors for side impact
Old 02-03-2012, 07:29 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

yes, but you would need an oversized seat to begin with. The idea is to make a custom insert for each driver, that slips into the frame with you. Unless you share the car with another driver, I think finding a seat that fits you properly would be cheaper and easier.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:46 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Butler-Built does build custom seats for many NASCAR racers. and several guys do have these in their C6Zs. These are full containment seats and do need a roll cage.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:09 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

Butler-Built does build custom seats for many NASCAR racers. and several guys do have these in their C6Zs. These are full containment seats and do need a roll cage.
I wouldn't have thought that a full containment seat would fit in a c6.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:43 PM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fits in a C5
Old 02-04-2012, 08:13 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Originally Posted by MJM
Fits in a C5
Which make and model. How wide. I'm assuming when you refer to a full containment that's with a halo. How wide can you go

Last edited by CodeBlack; 02-04-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:00 AM
CodeBlack
Drifting

[QUOTE=davidfarmer;1579908220]yes, but you would need an oversized seat to begin with. The idea is to make a custom insert for each driver, that slips into the frame with you. Unless you share the car with another driver, I think finding a seat that fits you properly would be cheaper and easier.

I've seen the inserts that your speaking of meaning switching drivers. This set up is for the sole driver like the one that's been used by indy. According to what I've read, NASCAR has been looking at them and may have started using them to replace aluminum. Is there any data on the safety of replacing a stock seat with an aluminum or fiberglass seat and mounting it to seat rails. Is this really a safe way to go even if you use a brace from the back of the seat to a harness bar. I'm no expert but I would think that the seat should be tied into the roll cage. Are the seat rails bolted to the frame or the floor pan in a c6 or c5. As a side note we even have companies on the forum that claim their seats are racing seats that aren't even certified some of which iv seen at hpde. I'm not looking to stir the sht I'm only looking to learn whats the proper and safe way to go.

Last edited by CodeBlack; 02-05-2012 at 03:17 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:52 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CodeBlack
I wouldn't have thought that a full containment seat would fit in a c6.
very very tight
Old 02-05-2012, 10:52 AM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which make and model. How wide. I'm assuming when you refer to a full containment that's with a halo. How wide can you go
Kirkey series 45 with halo. 15 inch model on hard bar rails.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

This set up is for the sole driver like the one that's been used by indy. According to what I've read, NASCAR has been looking at them and may have started using them to replace aluminum.
I haven't read the Nascar thing but I don't see how you could do it without an oversized aluminum or c/f seat in a Nascar or production car .

I've done 10 or so over the years, all for open wheel cars with the exception of a set of driver inserts on a Miata for the 25hours of T-Hill.

I've used the Indi-Seat, Bald Spot and Pennon Composite kits.

As David mentioned, you need an oversized seat to start. I'd think you'd want at least 2 inches of material thickness between your ribs and hips (my opinion, talk to Bald Spots).

Done correctly, these seats are unbelievably comfortable. In an open wheel seat, there is zero body movement (damn near feels like you could race the car without the belts on ).

This is the only seat I'll use in an open wheel.

It does take a while to do and you only get one shot to fit the driver.There's cutting/shaping the excess material, putting on the nomex cover (better done by an upholstery shop) and a few "tricks" .

Worth the effort - yep,IMO.

Note: If you have a big impact, the seat should be replaced (even the multi-impact material ones).
That's also why 2-part foam is a bad idea for seat inserts.

Get notified of new replies

To custom seats used by pros, creafoam

Quick Reply: custom seats used by pros, creafoam