Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALMS race at COTA prior to F1???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 11:32 PM
sspeed30043
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ALMS race at COTA prior to F1???

Took this from a transcript of a meeting between COTA and Travis County, I am wondering what his event might be prior to the F1 race?

">> how much -- by when -- my concern is -- is working backwards from the first event date, which is not f 1, it's actually an event prior to that, working backwards from that, by when do we have to have all of the -- of these permits finalized in order to assure that the county has enough time to appropriately prepare for the -- for the off cota site, the planning that we need to do?"

Hmm maybe the ALMS rumors might be true???
Old 04-05-2012, 01:21 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

They have just seven months to be prepared for the F1 race. Given the amount of work that remains to be done I think it's highly unlikely that they will try to inject another properly sanctioned race into both the COTA schedule *and* the other racing organisations schedule before that. Bigger fish to fry and all that.

It used to be that F1 insisted that new venues for F1 hold a prior race to show that they were up to it and to work the bugs out (see Formula 5000 race at Long Beach in 1975.) Not so much any more.

Z//
Old 04-05-2012, 06:16 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Porsche Cup races or Ferrari cup races or GP2 are held the days before the F1 race
Old 04-05-2012, 11:20 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Porsche Cup races or Ferrari cup races or GP2 are held the days before the F1 race
Yes, but those are support races FOR the F1 race. An ALMS race (or the F5000 race I mentioned) would be (was) a seperate event held some time earlier as a sort of "proof of concept" + "debugging" process.

F1 never allows a "major" companion event to share the bill. An ALMS race would be considered major enough to not be considered an option and would have to be an event unto itself (with its own support races...)

Z//
Old 04-05-2012, 08:09 PM
sspeed30043
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ALMS had a open date in September but looks like VIR made it to the schedule, so maybe the rumor is dead...
Old 04-05-2012, 10:19 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I just received my April 2012 Formula 1 Racing magazine today, and there is a story that the archetect Tilke, promises that the circuit will be "complete by September 2012".

Get notified of new replies

To ALMS race at COTA prior to F1???

Quick Reply: ALMS race at COTA prior to F1???