Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for NCM VIR HPDE in 2013

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 09:54 AM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Suggestions for NCM VIR HPDE in 2013

I am starting this thread in order to compile a list of suggestions of things that can be done at the NCM VIR HPDE in 2013, while the recent event is still fresh in our minds.

I would like for this topic to be a very positive approach, not complaining, but expressing suggestions for improvement. The goal is for the event to be the very best it can be. New ideas will help.

After compiling this list, I will submit it to Roc and Wendell at the NCM for their review.

Please, no rants or personal attacks! They are not productive.

Examples:

1. It was suggested on the other thread that it would be nice to have a cook-out one night, like a "meet and greet".

2. It has been suggested that Motorsportreg.com be used for the the on-line registration.

So chime in and contribute your idesa / suggestions.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:13 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Got to make the scheduled run group grid time announcements easier to comprehend for the announcer. The schedule layout should maybe just simply show group and time. The other columns can be somewhat confusing, I suppose.

Also, if a black flag is thrown perhaps that group should simply lose that amount of time. Staying on time without adjustments to schedule seems to work very well with other track events.

And, as has been suggested, a second emergency vehicle since there are so many present at the NCM events.

I really don't think there is a lot of room for improvement since Roc and crew have done very well with the amazing amount of intimidating logistical nightmares. The NCM event is the complete package as is; great track, super drivers/instructors, GM engineers present for questions and input, helpful vendors with the latest products, raffles, museum discounted items and instructional rides from many renowned drivers. I am sure I have left out many other things that should be mentioned but I believe one gets the idea.

Good thread idea, BTW.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:06 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Got to make the scheduled run group grid time announcements easier to comprehend for the announcer. The schedule layout should maybe just simply show group and time. The other columns can be somewhat confusing, I suppose.

Also, if a black flag is thrown perhaps that group should simply lose that amount of time. Staying on time without adjustments to schedule seems to work very well with other track events.

And, as has been suggested, a second emergency vehicle since there are so many present at the NCM events.

I really don't think there is a lot of room for improvement since Roc and crew have done very well with the amazing amount of intimidating logistical nightmares. The NCM event is the complete package as is; great track, super drivers/instructors, GM engineers present for questions and input, helpful vendors with the latest products, raffles, museum discounted items and instructional rides from many renowned drivers. I am sure I have left out many other things that should be mentioned but I believe one gets the idea.

Good thread idea, BTW.
Agree with the above. Also, what about another time of year? Could we have 2 NCM VIR, one in the Spring/Fall? I realize that w/other times of year, there is an increased risk of rain. However...I really like the Month of October as you are well into the Fall so there are no change-of-season storms and it is not as rainy on average as the Spring.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:42 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Any possibility of getting weekend dates for next year?
Old 07-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,408 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

I did not attend the 2012 event but have been to the previous 3 events in 2009, 2010, 2011 and I WILL be there in 2013.

I really like the idea of a Cook-Out on Monday night so everyone can meet and also be able to talk about Day 1 on track and what we hope to do in Day 2.

The Oak Tree Tavern is so tiny that going there Monday night has proven in my case to be pretty much a disater trying to eat, drink and socialize. Having a cookout in an area large enough for all to gather sounds like a good time to me.

As far as run groups and how they are staged and run, I don't think anything need be done there. In my 3 years attending this event they have run flawlessly. Great planning ahead proved to work well when the time came to run..

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
......................Could we have 2 NCM VIR, one in the Spring/Fall? I realize that w/other times of year, there is an increased risk of rain. However...I really like the Month of October as you are well into the Fall so there are no change-of-season storms and it is not as rainy on average as the Spring.
I'd be up for that as well. Great idea..
Old 07-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

How about making it 3 days? It always feels like with a 2-day event you're packing up as soon as you finish unpacking.

Also, I would like it if the event was another week but that's mainly because every year is conflicts with another family event so I can't bring them along. I always do the Audi club at VIR in April and so far the weather has been perfect.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Would suggest making the event hotel the lodge and garages @ VIR. I got a very nice suite in the villas for about the same as the sleep inn. It would be nice if everyone stayed at the track.

Tim
Old 07-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

This was my first time attending but I agree that a date change to either spring or fall would make the event much more enjoyable. This year was only hot on sunday and monday but frankly we dodged a bullet this year in regards to the remnants of the tropical depression that came through. If that storm came through a few days earlier there would have been a whole lot of people stranded.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:17 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Werks
This was my first time attending but I agree that a date change to either spring or fall would make the event much more enjoyable. This year was only hot on sunday and monday but frankly we dodged a bullet this year in regards to the remnants of the tropical depression that came through. If that storm came through a few days earlier there would have been a whole lot of people stranded.
Late June-Mid Sept. is going to be hot in southern Va. You can take a shot at late May through-June5 as a more mild summer-like pattern. But if you pick late October, it won't be freezing but you are outside of Hurricane season. Late May-June 5 is too early for Hurricanes and you rarely get 100F days. We thankfully dodged those by just a few days.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:06 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

1) The Green group should have 8 sessions, just like everyone else, instead of just 7.

2) I know that instructors are a valuable commodity, but try not to schedule them back-to-back. I lost laps on my first session because my assigned instructor was just coming off the track when I was supposed to be on the grid. Then, he didn't realize that he had another ride and was off debriefing his student while I was parked next to his trailer. Luckily, there was a fill-in instructor standing by the grid. He hopped in and off we went, though at least 3 laps late.

3) In the Green group, I'd have liked to have seen more in-class instruction on what line to take in each turn, visual references, braking points, etc. You get this in-car from your instructor, but things are going pretty quickly and it is sometimes hard to process for a noob. I thought the most valuable class time I spent was when our scheduled session had actually ended in our Tuesday class and a number of us stayed after to watch the instructor show various lines on the simulator.

4) Something we could do individually is put our CF "handle" on our name tags under our name so we can get to know one another.

5) A CF booth would be a cool idea. You could sign in with your "handle" and real name and where you're parked in the paddock.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:26 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
1) The Green group should have 8 sessions, just like everyone else, instead of just 7.

2) I know that instructors are a valuable commodity, but try not to schedule them back-to-back. I lost laps on my first session because my assigned instructor was just coming off the track when I was supposed to be on the grid. Then, he didn't realize that he had another ride and was off debriefing his student while I was parked next to his trailer. Luckily, there was a fill-in instructor standing by the grid. He hopped in and off we went, though at least 3 laps late.

3) In the Green group, I'd have liked to have seen more in-class instruction on what line to take in each turn, visual references, braking points, etc. You get this in-car from your instructor, but things are going pretty quickly and it is sometimes hard to process for a noob. I thought the most valuable class time I spent was when our scheduled session had actually ended in our Tuesday class and a number of us stayed after to watch the instructor show various lines on the simulator.

4) Something we could do individually is put our CF "handle" on our name tags under our name so we can get to know one another.

5) A CF booth would be a cool idea. You could sign in with your "handle" and real name and where you're parked in the paddock.
You have a couple of good suggestions about the CF user names. As far as hooking up with the instructors, you may want to affirm the next run time with him/her each time you complete your session. Sometimes it gets a little hectic and it helps to coordinate often. I had just the opposite scenario. My student had a car problem and left without letting me or any of the folks I was parked with know so I spent five minutes or so running through the paddock trying to locate him. Coordination works both ways. As far as classroom, it is very difficult to cover every pertinent item so the one on one instruction with in car instructor is very important.

I might suggest that when you find yourself at a new track with many turns such as VIR it is best to break it up in groups of turns and learn the first group well, then the second and so on. At VIR I find it best to teach turns one through six, then work on esses - T10,11, Oak tree, then the series at the end of the back straight. This can be done on paper before one gets into the car, also.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:55 AM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
How about making it 3 days? It always feels like with a 2-day event you're packing up as soon as you finish unpacking.
This seems like a great idea given that the average travel time is probably greater than most local club events.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:10 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

I really like the idea of a 3 day event. One thing that would help the instructors, would be to swap the red and black. This would allow instructors time between there green session and the red group. I know we can run black also!!!! But most of us run red! With regards to a get together!! the PCA has a great dinner for their events up at the big rad barn, off the left after you cross over the bridge, that building is really nice, has lots of run and is air conditioned. They have it catered, and it is a real nice get together. This would be great for Monday evening. Just my .02 JD
Old 07-08-2012, 10:29 AM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

That idea would be pretty cool if it could be arranged.

Several clubs I drive and instruct with have three day events, with the first day being an open lapping day for advanced drivers only. No instructor assignments, just a ton of track time.

I think it helps the instructors and other advanced drivers get more track time on day one, and then they can put more time on their instructor responsibilities on day 2-3.

I also think this would result in more advanced drivers signing up to instruct.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

I also like spreading it over 3 days but just with an expanded format.

I like the evening meal at the track only if we pay for it in advance and it is catered. The NCM group has enough to do.

Jim
Old 07-08-2012, 12:16 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Thank you guys we are welcome suggestions and are working on quite a few ppl have passed on to us.

Examples:

1. It was suggested on the other thread that it would be nice to have a cook-out one night, like a "meet and greet".
We have had dinners in the past and were very expensive. $25 / plate So we opted to NOT have dinners to help keep costs down.
But we are looking into this again.

Would ppl like a Sunday night vs Monday Night ? Say Sunday Night at the VIR Gallery? big long red barn on top of the hill as you cross over the bridge.

any food event on the VIR grounds must be catered by the contracted food suppler

2. It has been suggested that Motorsportreg.com be used for the the on-line registration.
Motorsports Reg is NOT an option.

IIRC motorsporstreg does not release the event registration money until one week before the event back to the event club. Plus the the NCM keeps records of all its event participants, and that integration between the two just may not work.

Plus the NCM membership and its event participants are not public information. This is by request of the NCM membership.

The run group session are always a challenge. We have also found that normally 7 runs for Green is MORE then enough as most of the Green students have packed up and have gone home at the end of their sixth run session. many of the Yellow run group students have also packed up and gone home. This is the reason we combine the last green and Yellow session together. Still have under 30 cars in that run group

Three days would add considerable costs of about 30% more for the students. track Rental is not cheap ~ $700 for three days. Of even charging Instructors $100 cause fewer instructors to show up.

Week ends ( Thus to Sunday) are double rentals are double the costs of Monday to Wednesday.

In short would ppl be willing to pay 30% more for three days? and or would Instructors and advance students pay a separate fee for the 3rd day?

_ Events dates are secured year(s) in advance. especially weekend and April / May dates.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 07-08-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I'd pay 30% more for a 3rd day. Based on last year's rate I think that works out to ~$600 for 3 days.

Get notified of new replies

To Suggestions for NCM VIR HPDE in 2013

Old 07-08-2012, 01:28 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

Three days would add considerable costs of about 30% more for the students. track Rental is not cheap ~ $700 for three days. Of even charging Instructors $100 cause fewer instructors to show up.
Really? (I assume you meant $70K.)

That is very hard to believe unless there is a lot of added stuff in that.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:17 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

I'd pay 30% more for a 3rd day. Based on last year's rate I think that works out to ~$600 for 3 days.
I think $600 for 3 days is a much better deal than $500 for 2 days. The 3 day format allows a larger buffer for poor weather or other on-track emergencies. Regarding the combination of groups above, I think it's ok to combine run groups, Porsche events do that routinely. But they also give all the run groups the same originally scheduled time...typically 8-9 sessions. I don't think it is as attractive to prospective green/yellow to provide 7 sessions for the same fee as Blue Black pays to get 8.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
I think $600 for 3 days is a much better deal than $500 for 2 days.
I'm sure everyone is trying to offer suggestions and constructive criticism is always welcome but there are too many facts most participants are not aware of:

1) The cost would go up significantly like Tom mentioned incorporating a Sunday which is double the rental price just for one day.

2) Even if you made the third day a Wednesday, it would be extremely tough to find instructors who can take off an entire week. Most of us come to truly help, not for free track time.

Originally Posted by jcsperson
The Green group should have 8 sessions, just like everyone else, instead of just 7.
Seems reasonable except -- this is a driving school HPDE, not an open track event. If somebody wants more track time and less instruction (the pros still take lessons ) there are plenty of other events one can find. Green students should be thrilled they are getting the classroom hours. Chuck is an awesome teacher and a bargain considering the price of the event. Bondurant costs thousands and it's not really until the third day you get to see real track time, and for good reason.

Mike

Quick Reply: Suggestions for NCM VIR HPDE in 2013