Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The wheel to wheel talk

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 10:04 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default The wheel to wheel talk

Anyone have any tips on convincing the wife that this is a good idea?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's better than drinking, smoking, gambling and chasing other women, but then again only ex-wives come to that realization. Good luck, Ben.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:49 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Selective mating. I married a woman who has raced her entire life. Makes for an easier discussion on where to blow disposable income.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:52 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I tell my wife the only thing I could think of that would be as much fun and exciting and CHEAPER would be a mistress. So for now, wife just asks if life insurance is paid up.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:21 AM
braknl8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Selective mating. I married a woman who has raced her entire life. Makes for an easier discussion on where to blow disposable income.
June at RA was my first time meeting you two and it amazed me how much she does to support....and knowledge of racing. You really did hit the jackpot, Kevin!!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:23 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Serious response...because I deal with this almost daily...

It keeps me "alive."

My wife thought this hobby was a mid-life crisis. I told her quite the opposite. This keeps me from having one.

Men are designed to hunt. I today's civilized society we don't have to chase down deer for our food; we go to the Piggly-Wiggly. So our "hunting" desires need to be quenched in some other fashion. Racing fills that void.

I can see guys chasing skirts because they are bored. Not me, as every other weekend I get to start looking forward to getting my butt kicked on a race track.

Paul Newman said racing keeps him breathing. I know exactly what he meant. At my stage of life, my everyday life can get pretty boring. But not with the challenge of racing.

Economically it doesn't make sense, don't even go down that road, unless you have something that's more expensive (like horses!).

It does make us better people. This may be a hard sell, but think of the people we are surronded by in the racing world. We all have our different opinions on things, sometimes we argue, but when "one of our own" needs help, we rally like no other group.

I can count on one hand the number of *ssholes I know through racing; there's not many. Golf may be a Gentleman's sport, but racers treat each other better.

I can go on and on...(and likely will).
Old 09-27-2012, 11:28 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

here is a picture of my wife when I started #174, she got it
Old 09-27-2012, 01:30 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Alot of what David said is what fuels my fire to go out and race. While I may not have the budget that I see many have on race weekends, I go out there and compete as hard and tough as I possibly can. I make use of the best resources I have and give myself the best chance I can to finish well.

I have to say, going wheel to wheel was well worth it for me even though it's been very expensive. But I wouldn't trade those times for any other hobby as they just don't give me the thrill like racing does. I always knew I wanted to be in some type of racing and road racing has been a blast.

My fiance has been on a couple of racing trips with me so far... while it really isn't her cup of tea, she enjoys watching me race. She has told me as long as the bills are paid, no accumulating debt to race... she doesn't have a problem with it. The danger of wheel to wheel racing does concern her, but being in a safely prepped racecar and doing it on the track where you're supposed to does give her some peace of mind.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:56 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by PushinTheLimit
The danger of wheel to wheel racing does concern her, but being in a safely prepped racecar and doing it on the track where you're supposed to does give her some peace of mind.
Show her the video of my wreck from this May. That should provide comfort that the safety equipment we use works.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:15 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Much safer then most belt-line highways around any city.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:18 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

compromise? give her something she wants? If you race, she can have X.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:26 PM
zigspeed10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ben,

In your case wheel to wheel will be much safer. It will require you to have a cage. Also for more ammo, lap times in a race are slower than a tt session.

Looking forward to running fender to fender with you next year if I can keep up.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:05 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
Show her the video of my wreck from this May. That should provide comfort that the safety equipment we use works.
Already have... and she also got to see my wreck at Road Atlanta this past December and see how well the car held up through the wreck. Of course my wreck was nothing like yours was.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:27 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by braknl8
June at RA was my first time meeting you two and it amazed me how much she does to support....and knowledge of racing. You really did hit the jackpot, Kevin!!
Thanks!

She laughed and said thanks as well.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:51 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

No matter how much you have already done, it has just been preparation for w2w.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:09 PM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm very lucky to have a fiancée that is very supportive in general, and actually encouraged me to buy the car in the first place (although it was a daily driver at first...). Her philosophy is, "You don't want to be on your death bed wishing you'd done <insert activity here>, this is not a dress-rehearsal."

That being said, the possible points for friction are - as I see it: time, money, and safety. As long as I have the cash and time to race without it impacting on the things we do together (social/family stuff, entertainment, vacations, etc) it's all good. She realizes there is some risk, but also gets that there is a great deal of safety equipment as well.

She'd rather I didn't want to race (or fly, I just got my pilot's license), but she wants me to pursue my dreams - and take the appropriate precautions to stay safe.

Anyway, that's one somewhat rational argument that might work. Good luck!

Old 09-28-2012, 10:03 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by darguy

She'd rather I didn't want to race (or fly, I just got my pilot's license), but she wants me to pursue my dreams - and take the appropriate precautions to stay safe.

Okay guys, who wants to be the first to tell him what changes to expect after the wedding ceremony?

Get notified of new replies

To The wheel to wheel talk

Old 09-29-2012, 12:31 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Okay guys, who wants to be the first to tell him what changes to expect after the wedding ceremony?
Exactly what I was thinking!
Old 09-29-2012, 08:51 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Not really good on convincing another about my ideas. Personally, I got a divorce.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:27 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Not really good on convincing another about my ideas. Personally, I got a divorce.
That makes racing look cheap.

Quick Reply: The wheel to wheel talk