Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today the racing world just gave birth to Spec Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Default Today the racing world just gave birth to Spec Corvette

More to come later. Stay tuned.....
Old 10-13-2012, 09:53 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

That's just not fair ! You dangled the carrot and didn't give us all the information.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:01 PM
jimtway
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

hehehe....
Old 10-13-2012, 10:06 PM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

TT too?
Old 10-13-2012, 10:07 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR
TT too?
T one
Old 10-13-2012, 11:28 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wth!!!!!
Old 10-14-2012, 07:30 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Old 10-14-2012, 08:39 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 10-14-2012, 09:30 AM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 10-14-2012, 11:08 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

NASA racers, what would you like? We are trying to put together a ruleset for this class and could use some input. We want to include as many corvettes nationwide as possible while keeping the class competitive and eliminate the arms race nature of ST2. We would run within ST2 as a sub-class at 8 lbs/hp with stock body, stock engines, trannys, and rear diff ratio of 3.42. Other than that, we have to make a decision of how "spec" we should run vs. allowing people to run what they currently have for springs, shocks, and sways. Our T1 group as a whole wants to keep our close racing alive by avoiding aero and stump puller engines. But should we all run the same springs and shocks or just let people run whatever springs and shocks they have as long as we all are on the same tires and hp/wt ratio? As you know, T1 already runs open shocks. I know the PTA guys have stock suspensions and most ST2 guys probably run coilovers or hyperco leaf springs.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:46 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

How would this work compared to ST2? Separate contingency?

Does anyone have a synopsis of what happened to the existing T1/STO and why that is unpalatable compared to this?

Last edited by RX-Ben; 10-14-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:43 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by redtopz
NASA racers, what would you like? We are trying to put together a ruleset for this class and could use some input. We want to include as many corvettes nationwide as possible while keeping the class competitive and eliminate the arms race nature of ST2. We would run within ST2 as a sub-class at 8 lbs/hp with stock body, stock engines, trannys, and rear diff ratio of 3.42. Other than that, we have to make a decision of how "spec" we should run vs. allowing people to run what they currently have for springs, shocks, and sways. Our T1 group as a whole wants to keep our close racing alive by avoiding aero and stump puller engines. But should we all run the same springs and shocks or just let people run whatever springs and shocks they have as long as we all are on the same tires and hp/wt ratio? As you know, T1 already runs open shocks. I know the PTA guys have stock suspensions and most ST2 guys probably run coilovers or hyperco leaf springs.
Why does rear diff have to be fixed at 3:42? Corvettes come from the factory with 2.73, 3.15 and 3.42.

When you say stock engine, do you mean stock to that VIN number? You just eliminated a ton of cars that have replaced blown LS1's with crate LS6's or guys who have LS1's that they put 243 heads and LS6 intakes on.

I think brakes should be stock diameter rotors front and rear (or smaller)for the model car but allow any manufacture or piston count for calipers and rotors.

Many transmission combos around. Stock for the VIN? or stock for the generation? C5 trans options for C5's and C6 trans options for C6? Or just an unmodified corvette transmission?

Suspension should be open.

There should be a spec tire! Tire widths should be limited to 315's with a HP bump of .4 for 285 or smaller. A spec tire will do more than most of the other mods/rules to keep the racing close when aero is not a player.
One other thought regarding stock body...I like stock body but there are guys who have made mods for aero such as converting the car to a front breather. If they want to pull the wing and splitter will they still be allowed to have a front breather? Many have changed and modified the radiator mount to convert to front breathing and it would be a huge expense to buy all replacement factory parts and put everything back to make it a bottom breather.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited by geerookie; 10-14-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:52 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, it all gets complicated in a hurry, as per the recent thread on this. Since C6Zs are indeed Corvettes, you already run into the torquer engine issue at 8:1. Even excepting out LS7s, the incentive is then to swap in LS3s (which will need a costly dry sump) unless you are going to intentionally favor C6s.

An earlier version of the first post mentioned Topeka, but now this seems like a NASA thing. Kind of hard to fathom that they would consider draining ST2 in favor of ST3, and then immediately drain the new ST3 with a Spec Corvette class.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:47 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
Make it st2 minus aero, on a spec tire. No bigger than 6.2l displacement since that is the common GM short block available. I'd do it!
Old 10-14-2012, 09:18 PM
ukrbmw
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See, and therein lies the issue when I attempted to do this awhile back. Too many people want too many things to be open so that everyone can run what they already have or build what they want. If you really want a Spec class you should lock down the engine, transmission, diff, suspension (shock, springs, sway bars) and create a spec tire - just one, no modifiers. Otherwise, all you are doing is watering down ST2 to create a "somewhat T1" class which will only exist in SoCal to accommodate all the ticked off C5 T1 guys.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:33 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
If you really want a Spec class you should lock down the engine, transmission, diff, suspension (shock, springs, sway bars) ...

My opinion counts for exactly 0, but unless you have a fairly strict rule set, you are going to very quickly be back in an arms race where the biggest wallet wins. Of course money will always matter, but the more you limit things, the closer you keep the field.

Engines are limited to stock, with weight variances to compensate LS6, LS2, etc., suspension parts must be all GM, including T1 parts. No $7k shocks, etc. Leave room for upgraded brakes for safety reasons but nothing too wild. Current T1 rules seem pretty good.

Basically, with the exception of safety gear and brakes, every part on the car needs to be a GM part.

Of course with all of the people who have already spent a lot of money out there, I don't see it ever happening.

The C6Z does throw a wrench in things. I really have no good solution of how to make it a level playing field once you add the LS7 in the mix.

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 10-14-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:52 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Boy I miss the Corvette Challenge series from the late 80's. it was close
racing with sealed engines and showed true driver talent, not who had the largest checkbook.

Get notified of new replies

To Today the racing world just gave birth to Spec Corvette

Old 10-15-2012, 12:39 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Power to weight ratio (how many pure stock, zero bolt on vettes go to the track?), front breather ok, slight penalty for rear spoiler and other aero, tire and tire width penalties...dammit I'm just starting to sound like st3 but I was serious. Not easy to accommodate the majority but I hope an attempt is made.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:41 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I would be fine with open suspension to be as inclusive as possible; I run stock leaf springs and inverted spring for what that's worth.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:21 AM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Would not a CMC rule set be a good template for this?

Have a spec tire. Toyo is coming out with the RR (new spec tire for SM and 944 in NASA), a dedicated dry track compound and already has a nice contingency program in NASA. Let suspension be open. Class can be a combination of C5s and C6s. I think it would be hard to let the C6Z in without some serious concessions/restrictions.

The key to a spec class is keeping the cost down and try to limit the "ideal" package. I race Spec 944, which is a fairly new class. We are still working through some of the kinks, but its not turned into a money spec class like SM is where you can spend 7k on a "spec" motor.

We allow any motor/trans from the 83-88 944/924S. No turbos, and only 8V motor. Short 5th gear and LSD transmissions are rare, but are ideal. The way we get around that is to allow an open LSD and the short 5th are common in other version of gearbox so its an easy and cheap swap. Keep the rules stupid simple.

The way I see this going is the following for:

C5: Any body style is legal so long as it remains stock. Update backdate engine/trans/diff to any combination offered from 97-04. Rebuilds to stock spec. Stock tune? Price limited shock, open sway, max leaf spring rate, no spherical bearings. Intake in front of TB is open, accusump/drysump legal, radiator is open so long as it fits in stock location. Exhaust can be open or using stock manifolds. Clutch can be open or restricted to a dollar amount.

C6: any non aluminum alloy chassis. similar other rules as C5 in order to level the playing field.

C4: Any way to be made competitive? I don't know the performance well enough to judge but I bet it could be made competitive with a few more allowances.

I would apply the T1 rule to brakes since that opens them up to a decently reliable package at a fairly low price point that's already available and proven. Interior can be completely gutted and its a toss up on the dash.

I dont see being able to handicap the C6Z fairly to make it either not a ringer or worth it to build one. There are plenty C5/6s out there to make the entry point into the class reasonable.

I would love to race a corvette, but the current class offerings don't allow that to happen due to the cost required.

Last edited by WBHighwind; 10-15-2012 at 01:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Today the racing world just gave birth to Spec Corvette