Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phoenix Performance and HPDE Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 07:12 AM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Phoenix Performance and HPDE Insurance

For anyone who wonders if track insurance is a good idea or not, let me share my experience.

I ran Summit Point main in August with RTR PCA. I consider myself a sensible driver not inclined to do anything stupid. Unfortunately you can't control what others do. Heading into turn 1 in the braking zone another car behind me spun 180 degrees and his left rear caught the right rear of my car after turn in. Never saw it coming. And that's the point! The other guy took full responsibility and neither one of us were hurt. But it was an eye opener to the fact you can't control what others do.

So the major damage was the rear facia, RR fender, bumper, bumper absorber, muffler and crossover pipe. Good news was I could still drive it home.

I chose Phoenix Performance for the repair. Lockton Affinity was the Ins provider. Long story short, Phoenix worked with the insurance company, I got my check in a timely manner, and I was again in the driver's seat this past weekend.

We all know Joe has a stellar reputation making Corvettes fly, but don't discount their body shop. Chris did a fantastic job matching the MY color on my Z which was a major concern of mine. Many thanks Chris

Summing all this up, my premium for the event was 160.00 (give or take a couple dollars) on a stated value of 24,000 with a $1500 deductable. Total damage was 6000.00 +............1500.00 out of pocket was a lot less painful than 6000.00!

This past weekend when I ran Summit again and signed up for track insurance I wondered if my claim would impact anything. Never did. The premium was 158 and change and the deductable was 1500.00

I ended my season on a positive note and look forward to next year

Oh, and thanks again Joe & Chris for getting me back on the track for this final event
Old 10-26-2012, 07:24 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Great Story
Old 10-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Zak77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw what Joe's Z looked like after the accident and saw it again this past weekend. Great job by Phoenix as you could not tell it was in an accident. I did not have track insurance and felt like something was going to happen all weekend. Luckily I "only" hit a ground hog but next year I shall be purchasing track insurance.

And my hat off to Joe (Poster, not Joe from Phoenix) as he has been extremly helpful with my C5 with tips, tricks etc. The man even gave me a set of used brakes to use for the last day as I destroyed my HPS's. And WOW Joe, these pads are lightyears better than those HPS's. Thanks again, and I'll be texting you sometime this winter about your suspension set.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:47 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Glad it worked out. I was just curious if the other driver took responsibility why did you have to pay?
Old 10-26-2012, 09:51 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Great Story
Thats a very reasonable price too.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:32 AM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also saw Joe's car at Summit last weekend and the pictures of the damage, prior to repair. The car looks great!!!

Phoenix also fixed my front end after my ABS failure and trip into the tire barrier at NJMP. They did a first rate job, as always. Thanks, Chris and Joe A for getting me back in action so fast.

Steve

Last edited by SLandstra_Z06; 10-26-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Zak77
Racer

Originally Posted by SLandstra_Z06
I also saw Joe's car at Summit last weekend and the pictures of the damage, prior to repair. The car looks great!!!

Phoenix also fixed my front end after my ABS fairure and trip into the tire barrier at NJMP. They did a first rate job, as always. Thanks, Chris and Joe A for getting me back in action so fast.

Steve
Your Z06 Steve is simply amazing! And you are quite the driver as well.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:31 PM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by crimlwC6
Glad it worked out. I was just curious if the other driver took responsibility why did you have to pay?
Same here. apparently taking responsibility doesnt entail paying for damages?? Or did you use your insurance and subrogate the claim to them and they'll go after the other driver??
Old 10-26-2012, 03:01 PM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by phxcobra
Same here. apparently taking responsibility doesnt entail paying for damages?? Or did you use your insurance and subrogate the claim to them and they'll go after the other driver??
There is no recourse if the fellow does not want to pay for his [ her] actions.

If your in a for real sanctioned event NASA, SCCA, CHIN you are on your own.

You sign the waiver or you don't enter. Sign and you accept the conditions. It's racing not traffic. And HPDE is racing [ as far as Insurance Co are concerned].

The insurance is Collision insurance and is to repair your car... there may be liability policies but I doubt it.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:16 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

NARRA requires payback after determining fault. Need to be careful about rubbing/racing with things like a 458 challenge car.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:28 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
NARRA requires payback after determining fault. Need to be careful about rubbing/racing with things like a 458 challenge car.
NASA should adapt that exact same rule. $2500/$5000/$7500 1-2-3 offenses, video required in all cars
Old 10-26-2012, 04:46 PM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TJM
There is no recourse if the fellow does not want to pay for his [ her] actions.

If your in a for real sanctioned event NASA, SCCA, CHIN you are on your own.

You sign the waiver or you don't enter. Sign and you accept the conditions. It's racing not traffic. And HPDE is racing [ as far as Insurance Co are concerned].

The insurance is Collision insurance and is to repair your car... there may be liability policies but I doubt it.
No recourse? Why not a lawsuit?
Old 10-26-2012, 04:49 PM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by drivinhard
NASA should adapt that exact same rule. $2500/$5000/$7500 1-2-3 offenses, video required in all cars
Good thought. But this is a ticklish matter.

Once you assign responsibility [ criminal aside ] you open a bad door,.... a real bad door.

I have never been involved with NARRA, in fact I am a neophyte to this sport, but I am not young, stupid, or naive.

That waiver language is there for a reason and tinkering with it is opening Pandora's box.

We just come to play, but I insure. If Trevor screws up and hits you and wrecks the two cars, I will bay you the limits of the policy before I use the money to fix ours.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:50 PM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by phxcobra
No recourse? Why not a lawsuit?
If your at NASA you signed a waiver not to sue.

Take that to court and you will likely get whacked for a frivolous law suite.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:24 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

a waiver can always be construed to be less than what it seems.
If someone intentionally tries to run you into the wall, you might have a chance if you can prove it.

The problem with the NARRA system in NASA is the spec classes that (seemingly) pride themselves on playing bumper cars.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:41 PM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
a waiver can always be construed to be less than what it seems.
If someone intentionally tries to run you into the wall, you might have a chance if you can prove it.

The problem with the NARRA system in NASA is the spec classes that (seemingly) pride themselves on playing bumper cars.

True enough. I have watched guys in what amounts to prettied-up dirt track car run their nose up under people. Never got pulled off the track??

We assumed his victim was a friend.. but I would hate to be in the mix?

I have never seen what amount to assault out there, but I am new to this? I don't think a Waiver protects a criminal complaint issue? Burden of proof et al???

But that really is past what we are fretting about. It's that 23 YO **** ant in the Porsche, that never makes a mistake, and wants you to pay if there is an "accident" in the corners??

At least that is my worry.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:07 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Waiver applies to the Padock as well.

Friend of mine hit a C6 in the paddok at RA. C6 in left lane (he was on the wrong side of road) turned right in front of him with no warning or turn signal (C6 was turning wide to get into parking spot). My friend was in the right lane. Hit the C6 passanger door, scared the crap out of the instructor in the right seat of C6. Both drivers had a talk and my friend thought that was it. C6 driver came down wanting my friend to pay for the damage. Politely as possible told to suck it up (paraphrasing).

C6 driver wasn't satisfied and decided to file a claim with his regular insurance company. His insurance company contacted my friend. My friend sent his insurance company the Go-Pro video of the accident. The insurance agent told my friend that it was obviously the C6 drivers fault. C6 drivers insurance company sent a check to my friend for the damage to his car.

Feel bad for the C6 guy though, it was his first HPDE, not a good way to start.

Get notified of new replies

To Phoenix Performance and HPDE Insurance

Old 10-26-2012, 08:26 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just curious what his reason was for spinning out in a braking zone? Did he hit oil or debris on track? Did he get a black flag for the day??

Glad it turnout ok. I feel less stupid for purchasing Lockton every event. I really think of it as total loss insurance; 6k I am not as concerned about.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:04 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TJM
Good thought. But this is a ticklish matter.

Once you assign responsibility [ criminal aside ] you open a bad door,.... a real bad door.

I have never been involved with NARRA, in fact I am a neophyte to this sport, but I am not young, stupid, or naive.

That waiver language is there for a reason and tinkering with it is opening Pandora's box.

We just come to play, but I insure. If Trevor screws up and hits you and wrecks the two cars, I will bay you the limits of the policy before I use the money to fix ours.
The OP is obviously talking about DE, in the case of NARRA, the rules (as I'm aware) only applies to the competition events (W2W and TT) and not DE, which is what I was responding in reference to Ben's post.

It is not an automatic case of if involved, that you are at fault. It's a judgement call based on the chief steward, generally with all parties involved reviewing the same video, generally, from as many angles as captured by your or other in cars and/or trackside cameras. They certainly allow for "racing incidents" which we all know, is just racing, and it's nobody's fault, or it's unavoidable contact from a mechanical, etc.

The idea is, with avoidable contact (99 times out of 100 is simply a poor judgement call), in the back of every racer's head before thinking about a divebomb braking event from the cheap seats, is "if this goes south, at min, I'm in this for $2500". It is a not a bad thought to have lingering in the heads of all those involved, especially at a NASA type event, where MOST of the guys running don't have gold lined pockets and $2500, $5000, or $7500 is gonna sting, and may put somebody on the sideline for the rest of the year.

Personally if it was me, on your 2nd offense, you'd be parked for 3 months and the 3rd offense you'd be parked for 12 months.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:05 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by crimlwC6
I met him briefly at the scene and he stated it was completely his fault. I was given his contact info and called him a few days later and asked since I was an innocent party in this if he would contribute towards my deductable. He said he couldn't, not even a token amount. I didn't press him since we all sign the wavers and really didn't have much leverage. I will say he was honestlly apologetic and stuttered like hell during the conversation, but didn't man up with even a token amount.

I was told by my mentor Jim M. that if you do this sport long enough, it's not a question of if it happens, it's a matter of when it does. So I decided I got the contact issue out of the way and it's time to just move on.

Quick Reply: Phoenix Performance and HPDE Insurance