Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tricks needed to keep my car aligned.. Keeps coming un-done.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Tricks needed to keep my car aligned.. Keeps coming un-done.

98 c5. Mostly autocrossing. For years I had actual race car mechaics do my alignments. They would hold for at least two years. But these guys are no longer available. So I"ve been taking the car to a local trustworthy shop and giving the guys specs to hit. They do hit my numbers and the car handles great. After I race and am on the way home it starts pulling one way or the other.

Do you guys ever use lock tight or any other products to keep things tight?

Is this an issue where these guys need to put some serious elbow grease to work?

Can they use air tools to tighten things down?

What can I tell your average Joe to do in order to keep the car alignment from slipping out of spec?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Z06 AXer
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at your lower a-arm bushings. On the early C5 Z06 it was common for the bushings to be crushed to nothing leaving you chasing the alignment as the ruibber deteriorates.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Tighten the cam bolts with the longest breaker bar and the biggest hammer you can. Those are big bolts, you aren't going to break them.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:02 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Tighten the cam bolts with the longest breaker bar and the biggest hammer you can. Those are big bolts, you aren't going to break them.

And if you still have problems go to the PFADT Camber Kit, Installed one a couple weeks ago on a C6, its a little time consuming to get right but not much way it can move afterwards...
Old 12-03-2012, 11:26 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BERETTA

And if you still have problems go to the PFADT Camber Kit, Installed one a couple weeks ago on a C6, its a little time consuming to get right but not much way it can move afterwards...
+1..........we NEVER worry about this issue anymore. Stud kit on the uppers makes things so easy to adjust.......hint.......tape the tops of the shims together once you get the correct setup......keeps them from falling apart when you are working on the suspension.

The PFADT poly kit with offset bolts make it easy to adjust from aggressive setting to less aggressive just by jacking up the car, removing the nuts on the upper studs and flipping the bolts over.........quick and easy 'street' to 'track' and back again.

Last edited by CP Thunder; 12-03-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:17 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

control arm bushings may need to be replaced. now bolts while your at it.

and get some camber blocks.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:46 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Check all bushings and replace as necessary. Once alignment is set to your specs mark everything with paint. Get a yellow enamel and small brush. Paint a line across every adjustment point, bolt and eccentric cam. That way you can examine and quickly know if something has shifted. You can also easily restore settings by just aligning everything back up according to the marks.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I had a similar problem with my car. The shop kept telling me this was normal when racing...it's not. I finally brought the shop the torque specs from the shop manual and that solved the problem. They admitted that they felt they didn't normally use a torque wrench
Old 12-04-2012, 09:39 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Torque is supposed to be 125 ft lbs, if they don't torque then they will come loose. Tell them the torque spec and it will probably solve the problem.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:40 AM
alextz
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I use 140 ft-lbs on the back, otherwise they move.
front needs 125 ft-lbs on the camber cam, 110 ish on the caster cam.

Get notified of new replies

To Tricks needed to keep my car aligned.. Keeps coming un-done.

Quick Reply: Tricks needed to keep my car aligned.. Keeps coming un-done.