Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA moves STO & Trans Am2 cars to GT2

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 08:54 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Default SCCA moves STO & Trans Am2 cars to GT2

TOPEKA, Kan. (Dec. 7, 2012) -- In an effort to strengthen the GT2 class, the SCCA Club Racing Board announced the classification of Trans-Am Series Class 2 cars as well as many former Super Touring® Over cars.

To accomplish this, the current GT-2 spec lines have been revised for 2013. These changes came after more than a year of study by the GT Advisory Committee and by an ad hoc group of GT drivers, builders and car owners.

The new spec lines include revised weights and restrictors for existing GT-2 cars.

Ex-STO cars may be prepared to the 2012 STO rules, with the exception that tires are free in GT-2 within the STO wheel sizes. Specifications for these cars are now included in the race memo and may vary from 2012 STO specifications.

Trans-Am 2 cars may run in GT2 under TA2 rules and published spec lines, with the exception that tires are free in GT-2 within the TA2 wheel sizes. Regional GTA class cars may run in GT-2, but must make the changes necessary to comply with the TA2 rules.

The CRB apologizes for the late notice of the change, but the opportunity to embrace these cars became available as a result of a cascading set of rule changes from the Touring reclassification that was just completed.

Link to new rules: TOPEKA, Kan. (Dec. 7, 2012) -- In an effort to strengthen the GT2 class, the SCCA Club Racing Board announced the classification of Trans-Am Series Class 2 cars as well as many former Super Touring® Over cars.

To accomplish this, the current GT-2 spec lines have been revised for 2013. These changes came after more than a year of study by the GT Advisory Committee and by an ad hoc group of GT drivers, builders and car owners.

The new spec lines include revised weights and restrictors for existing GT-2 cars.

Ex-STO cars may be prepared to the 2012 STO rules, with the exception that tires are free in GT-2 within the STO wheel sizes. Specifications for these cars are now included in the race memo and may vary from 2012 STO specifications.

Trans-Am 2 cars may run in GT2 under TA2 rules and published spec lines, with the exception that tires are free in GT-2 within the TA2 wheel sizes. Regional GTA class cars may run in GT-2, but must make the changes necessary to comply with the TA2 rules.

Link: http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...RM%2012-10.pdf

Last edited by bosco022; 12-08-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:01 AM
bosco022
Drifting

All SCCA GT2 cars fit in Crane Cams V8 StockCar V8 GT-2 class as well as NASA ST-2, Ex Grand Am Conti GS & ST cars and others by review.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:04 AM
jfaphoenix32
Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

so let me get this straight....

They destroyed t-1 to allow sto cars in by slowing them down, and forcing t1 cars to speed up...

Now they say, oh, just kidding, all sto cars can go to GT2 with no changes...

So why would any STO car go to T-1? Most are faster than GT2 anyway..

Joe
Old 12-08-2012, 11:17 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jfaphoenix32

They destroyed t-1 to allow sto cars in by slowing them down, and forcing t1 cars to speed up...

Joe
Good point. 2012 T1 cars have to mod to STO spec in 2013, which is moving to GT2. So T1 is no longer STO but now GT2? Wait, what is T1 now? I'm confused...
Old 12-08-2012, 11:17 AM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jfaphoenix32

Joe
Right?! Isn't this idiotic?

The new T1 IS STO with different restrictor sizes and weights.

This is clearly a ploy to merge the new T1 into STO / GT2 in a year or two and make the final destruction complete.

Someone said this to me this morning- the SCCA is going to blame class consolidation on reduced entries (because they have driven everyone off), while claiming that they did everything to accomodate everyone. Idiots.

I posted over on the GT2 forums that all disenfranchised GT2 guys should go to NARRA.

How is a 996 Cup Car supposed to compete against an unrestricted 997 Cup Car?
Old 12-08-2012, 11:20 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Sounds like a good reason to keep T1 with the 2012 rules since it will be a wide open class with no cars in it. Why change it if all 3 STO cars are moving out?
Old 12-08-2012, 11:44 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

The traditional GT2 cars can reduce weight by 6%, if I remember correctly, so the targeted performance level has been increased.

This was something that was being discussed very recently (I was contacted for performance data), but I was under the strong impression that this was a 2014 initiative, not 2013. I wish I would have known earlier, as my plans for 2013-2015 might have been different...maybe.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:44 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
Sounds like a good reason to keep T1 with the 2012 rules since it will be a wide open class with no cars in it. Why change it if all 3 STO cars are moving out?
I agree.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:47 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

NARRA SCCA
Old 12-08-2012, 12:24 PM
ukrbmw
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow - I was really considering trying to run GT2 with SCCA and now this is just dumb. I'm suppose to run a 40mm restrictor on my little 3.2 motor while a 997 Cup car goes unrestricted. Oh, but wait - I get to take a 120 pound weight reduction.

Oh well, SCCA just sealed the deal for me.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:27 PM
fcarga
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somehow this doesn't sound like the "racers" ie the guys who save up some money to buy a car, then modify the car to a class then plan, budget and figure out what they and their families can scrimp on so they can drive their car in Club events that they pay for and support with their dollars are the #1 priority of the SCCA.

Sort of sounds like our dysfunctional government....
Old 12-08-2012, 05:56 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
Wow - I was really considering trying to run GT2 with SCCA and now this is just dumb. I'm suppose to run a 40mm restrictor on my little 3.2 motor while a 997 Cup car goes unrestricted. Oh, but wait - I get to take a 120 pound weight reduction.

Oh well, SCCA just sealed the deal for me.
With so many new cars introduced to GT-2, SCCA is going to have to closely monitor performance and make adjustments in a timely manner.

Judging from lap times I have witnessed around the SE div SCCA, I think top flight STO cars and top national GT2 cars aren't that far off.

I don't have a dog in the T1 fight but feel like the class should have been left closer to stock
Old 12-08-2012, 10:02 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
We in T1 pledded and pettitioned for the SCCA to leave T1 alone. But
The October news was that T1 cars need to add weight and restrictor and go to T2 or we could go to STO with no modifications but could build to STO rules because all the STO cars are faster than T1 cars but that the SCCA would try and slow the STO cars. In a fit of rage and final capitulation the entire socal T1 group has left for NASA and are adding wings and things as we speak. Money has been spent investing in NASA. Now on Peral Harbor day the SCCA has dropped this bomb which effectively leaves T1 alone with the 2012 ruleset we wanted in the first place and all the fast STO cars going to GT2! Genius... pure genius a little too late. Did SCCA get scared when all the rats started jumping off the sinking ship? It is 12/8/12 and the first national race is 1/26/13 about 30 days away with holidays. Who wants to bust their butt and jump through car modification and testing hoops by 1/26/13? How many racers are sitting on the fence waiting to see who shows up for the first race?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:26 PM
ukrbmw
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bosco - 997 Cup is pretty much an overdog in GT2 right now. STO runs 997 WC Cups that have trick suspension and about 40-50 more hp. I simply don't see how things can stay the same for actual GT2 cars that ran before.

Plus 997 Cup absolutely destroyed everything else at the runoffs while being restricted, so to remove it's restrictor completely while only giving a little bump to everybody else seems a little ludicrous. But hey, what do I know.

T1 thing is just kind of crazy. After all the drama to read this?
Old 12-08-2012, 11:19 PM
jimtway
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey, but Peter Keane knows what is best for us. Lets all obey!
Old 12-09-2012, 12:22 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
NARRA SCCA
SCCA seems to be intentionally chasing people away.

The ideal situation would be for NARRA to have an east and west coast series and combine at COTA for a championship. That would be unreal.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:40 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
We in T1 pledded and pettitioned for the SCCA to leave T1 alone. But
The October news was that T1 cars need to add weight and restrictor and go to T2 or we could go to STO with no modifications but could build to STO rules because all the STO cars are faster than T1 cars but that the SCCA would try and slow the STO cars. In a fit of rage and final capitulation the entire socal T1 group has left for NASA and are adding wings and things as we speak. Money has been spent investing in NASA. Now on Peral Harbor day the SCCA has dropped this bomb which effectively leaves T1 alone with the 2012 ruleset we wanted in the first place and all the fast STO cars going to GT2! Genius... pure genius a little too late. Did SCCA get scared when all the rats started jumping off the sinking ship? It is 12/8/12 and the first national race is 1/26/13 about 30 days away with holidays. Who wants to bust their butt and jump through car modification and testing hoops by 1/26/13? How many racers are sitting on the fence waiting to see who shows up for the first race?

Carl,

I have not read this myself as I am between driving stints at the Thunderhill 25, but if your assessment is right I am morosely speechless.

Oli

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA moves STO & Trans Am2 cars to GT2

Old 12-09-2012, 09:17 AM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Carl, you are incorrect. They did not leave T1 with the 2012 rules.

That is the point. The new T1 is effectively STO but with different weights and restrictors, and stays as such. The old STO is now moved into GT2.

The latter move only makes sense if the SCCA had left T1 as it was in 2012. But needless to say this is the SCCA, so sense has nothing to do with it. Another great decision from Peter Kean's scotch riddled brain.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:08 AM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonberkeley
That's my reading as well.

Old T1 cars competing in new T1 now have unlimited trans ratio options, lightweight flywheels, LS7 swaps, splitters, wings, etc.

Absolutely none of this makes sense.

Last edited by MJM; 12-09-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:05 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jasonberkeley

That is the point. The new T1 is effectively STO but with different weights and restrictors, and stays as such. The old STO is now moved into GT2.

The latter move only makes sense if the SCCA had left T1 as it was in 2012. But needless to say this is the SCCA, so sense has nothing to do with it. Another great decision from Peter Kean's scotch riddled brain.
Yes, the new decision to move STO to GT2 makes the T1 changes even more idiotic. Why in the hell would we change our T1 cars to STO specs when they are moving to GT2??? This is the worst overall strategy for combining race classes that I can imagine. Like we said from the start, move STO to GT2, leave T1 alone and move up the fastest cars from T2 with allowances to make them faster (if needed). Basically they could have accomplished the same goals by leaving 90% of the cars alone and not requiring restrictors for any car. But instead they have affected 90% of the cars and require restrictors for 90% of the cars which will have to be continually adjusted in attempt to equalize the fields. Absolutely negligent decision making.

Quick Reply: SCCA moves STO & Trans Am2 cars to GT2