Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA Socal ST-2 Race Rd.3 - Willow Springs - 5/4/2013

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:22 PM
jimtway
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default NASA Socal ST-2 Race Rd.3 - Willow Springs - 5/4/2013

Round 3 is in the books. We traveled to Willow Springs International Raceway near Palmdale, CA a couple weekends ago. This is the only race of the season at the "The Fastest Road Course in the West". Not having much seat time at the track, I decided to add Time Trials to my slate both days for more track time. Plus it gave me an opportunity to win more swag. We had some viscous winds both days, affecting our lap times, and at times blowing cars right off the track.

Saturday Race
Six ST-2 cars would qualify on Saturday. The P.A. Construction Corvette would start in 4th, with Chuck on pole, Oli in 2nd and Khan in 3rd. We exited Turn 1 in that order, with some faster ST-1 cars in the mix. It took me a few laps get around Khan in the black Corvette, who started to struggle with what was a lost belt. I had lost some time to Chuck and Oli, so I turned on beast mode and started to click off fast laps. On lap 9, I had caught Oli. He took a defensive line through infamous Turn 8/9, so I took it wide and got by him on the front straight. I had some good opportunities to take the lead, but couldn't get it done. Late in the race, some oblivious lap traffic and poorly timed yellow flags dropped me back to 3rd, where I finished the race.

Saturday's Race Keeper video:

Sunday Race
I had a better run in Qualifying Sunday, putting us in 2nd behind Chuck. Oli would qualify 3rd and that is all we would have. The harsh conditions and mechanical issues sent Khan and the other ST-2 cars home Saturday night.

Pre-grid for Sunday's Race

On the start I got sandwiched in Turn 1, and giving up 2nd to Oli. This race was a blast from there on, with action throughout. I never was able to get back in front of Oli, but I kept on him for the majority of the race, and he did the same to Chuck. My front left tire wore down near the end of the race and I lost the pace, ultimately finishing in 3rd. But, in the process, I set another ST-2 Track Record!

This was my view most of Sunday. Here's a close call between Oli and Chuck.

Sunday's Race Keeper video:

Time Trials
There wasn't anyone to compete against in TT-2, which is the class our car should Time Trial in. So we upped the ante and enter TT-1, where we would be outgunned by 600 hp cars. Suprisingly, we ended up with 1st place victories both days. A little bit of luck and good timing went our way for sure. But all I know is that all that sweet sweet swag was ours!

Swag, it's all mine!

Next Race
Even with the 3rd place finishes, I am still holding on to the points lead. We head to Buttonwillow Raceway on June 1st. We got some repairs and new upgrades planned. Stay tuned!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:15 AM
cdbmathews
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing! That was an awesome race, NASA Super Touring is alive and healthy in SoCal. The next two races should see close to ten cars each.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:35 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the race summaries, keep it up.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:41 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great write up, cool pics!! Thanks for reporting!

Get notified of new replies

To NASA Socal ST-2 Race Rd.3 - Willow Springs - 5/4/2013

Quick Reply: NASA Socal ST-2 Race Rd.3 - Willow Springs - 5/4/2013