Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you fix a leaking bead on a Hoosier R6

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 07:34 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Default How do you fix a leaking bead on a Hoosier R6

I have been running Hoosier R6s for several years, and for the first time I have a tire that is leaking between the bead and the lip of the wheel.

I am reluctant to use an over the counter sealant because I am afraid that the high temps on track would cause the sealant to de-compose.

Anybody had this problem, or have a good fix?

TIA
Old 05-22-2013, 07:55 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Had the same problem last season. Dismounted tire, cleaned bead of tire and wheel mounting surface. You need to check the tire bead carefully for any damage. Remounted tire and problem was gone. Probably just some junk (small) between the tire and wheel.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:53 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Been through too many hoohoos to count and I mount my own wheels. Hoos have the worse bead flash of any maker that's why you got a leaker. So you deflate the tire and pry the bead down a bit like 3/8" with a tire iron or wide flat blade screwdriver paint in rubber cement or real tire bead sealer. Inflate and you are done. Sometimes if the area is small you can deflate just step on the bead all your weight spray in cheap hairspray and reinflate. Dismount remount is a last resort and sometimes just moves the leaking to another place. You got to peel the flash off or use proper beadsealer.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:53 PM
JRL
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Mount with hair spray (Aqua Net). Worked for me. Don't wet beads. Just use hair spray. YMMV

------
John

Get notified of new replies

To How do you fix a leaking bead on a Hoosier R6

Quick Reply: How do you fix a leaking bead on a Hoosier R6