Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few random COTA laps

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 11:21 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Default A few random COTA laps

So, I did my first track event since installing poly bushings, race seats, harnesses, and an aggressive track alignment. WOW. I cannot believe how much more comfortable I was not having to hang on for dear life in the awful stock Corvette seats. Also, after having run track days for over a decade, I admit to being quite an idiot for not realizing how much of a difference a good aggressive alignment can be. It woke up my Continental slick big time. These things gripped like crazy and the turn-in/response was incredible.

I had too much traffic to try to beat my previous street car lap record, but I have no doubt at all it will happen when the weather cools off and I can get a few clean laps with no traffic. I'll be shooting for a sub 2:20. I have a set of brand new Finspeed wheels/Michelin slicks waiting for the big day.

Here's a few random laps. Watch in 1080p for the best view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nW0r...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by QUIKAG; 06-11-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:36 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I couldn't watch anymore, the trains are too painful. I was hoping at any minute you would deploy guns and begin clearing traffic.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:43 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you like the poly bushings? Noticeable difference?
Old 06-15-2013, 11:01 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How did you like the AIM Solo DL? Any issues?
Old 06-16-2013, 02:12 AM
c5_4_me
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crease-guard
I couldn't watch anymore, the trains are too painful. I was hoping at any minute you would deploy guns and begin clearing traffic.

You should be granted sainthood for your patience.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:46 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Actually, those trains seemed to be pretty well minded; looks like points were given fairly promptly in the passing lanes.

OP, I'm curious, how are your brakes wearing, and how well are the cooling systems keeping up? You're the only ZR1 owner I've seen that drives their car hard, that run you made at MSR running CW on the 1.7 was fantastic!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-16-2013, 11:16 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

It was tough, but patience is a virtue and I definitely needed the practice.

Originally Posted by MarkDFW
How did you like the poly bushings? Noticeable difference?
I honestly don't know how much was the camber and how much was the poly bushings, but the car truly felt amazing. The seats and harnesses also gave me a much better feel for what the car was doing. It was easier to drive faster when I had the opportunity. With fresh tires, I will easily knock seconds off my previous lap times.

Originally Posted by skxf430
How did you like the AIM Solo DL? Any issues?
It was awesome. I loaded the COTA Austin map and it just worked, everything was automatic. I need to figure out how to view all the data it stores and I hope to overlay my video laps with the data using Dashware. Just need to spend some time figuring that out. Unit is very well made and easy to use. I highly recommend it.

Originally Posted by c5_4_me

You should be granted sainthood for your patience.
Hehe, I had no choice as we could only pass in specific areas of the track with a point.

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Actually, those trains seemed to be pretty well minded; looks like points were given fairly promptly in the passing lanes.

OP, I'm curious, how are your brakes wearing, and how well are the cooling systems keeping up? You're the only ZR1 owner I've seen that drives their car hard, that run you made at MSR running CW on the 1.7 was fantastic!

Have a good one,
Mike
Mike, thank you! I agree everyone was courteous and friendly. I just had a very fast car so getting stuck behind other cars was inevitable. It was still a blast. Brakes are wearing well, but I am on my 4th set of pads so I will weigh the rotors next time as I am probably getting close to minimum rotor weight will will necessitate replacement. I was getting about 8 hard track days out of a set of the OEM pads, but as the rotor has lost weight, it's more like 6 track days now with the last set or two of pads. Pads are around $900 and I think a full set of rotors is around $4500. Brakes really are amazing so I think they are worth the cost. SRF fluid is required IMO due to the high heat the brakes generate.

I did have heating issues at COTA this time as ambient was around 95F and muggy. Oil temp peaked at 295F and coolant at 253F. Warning for coolant is at 260F. I slowed down and started short shifting at that point. Sessions were longer (20+ min) so that didn't help. Honestly the stock cooling system is pretty robust, but you just can't beat on the car for more than 15 min or so when it's hot out without getting the temps up.

I am keeping the powertrain 100% stock for warranty purposes including cooling. I do plan to go to water/water wetter to help efficiency though as I live in TX and won't drive it if it gets too cold and I did add that hood vent to replace the window. See below pic:

URL=http://s3.photobucket.com/user/quikag/media/photo14_zps49a6a919.jpg.html][/URL]

Last edited by QUIKAG; 06-16-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:29 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the reply. Something to consider on that hood vent; it's pretty close to a traditional high pressure point on the hood (highest is at the base of the hood/windshield). It might behoove you to put some yarn tufts on the hood vent and get some video of it next time you're out at MSR or somewhere.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-17-2013, 09:56 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Mike, could you clarify what I would be looking for with the yarn tufts? I'm a little confused (which isn't hard to do now as I'm at home on Norco recovering from a back surgery.).
Old 06-17-2013, 10:16 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Do a search on "tuft testing" on Youtube. One example:

Essentially it lets you observe airflow in rough terms. If you see the tufts laying down flat the air is attached to the surface and usually is moving at a fairly high velocity, which equates to lower pressures and a better chance at good high pressure extraction. If the tufts are standing up, or moving forward, then the airflow has detached from the surface (i.e. "turbulent") and the pressure is close to ambient.

I'd put the clear cover back on to do your testing, as the louvers will trip the airflow by themselves.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-24-2013, 12:50 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Do a search on "tuft testing" on Youtube. One example:

Tuft Testing - YouTube

Essentially it lets you observe airflow in rough terms. If you see the tufts laying down flat the air is attached to the surface and usually is moving at a fairly high velocity, which equates to lower pressures and a better chance at good high pressure extraction. If the tufts are standing up, or moving forward, then the airflow has detached from the surface (i.e. "turbulent") and the pressure is close to ambient.

I'd put the clear cover back on to do your testing, as the louvers will trip the airflow by themselves.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Great info. I'll definitely have to check it out. Even if it the heat just rises and vents our without pressure, it's still better than nothing, I suppose. Thanks, Mike.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:50 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Here's a few pics from COTA.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:05 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Our radiator would make a HUGE difference in temps....shouldn't have any issues with warranty with it in there, but talk to your service advisor. I know a few guys that track them stock...just for your reason and have done the radiator upgrade with no ill effects towards the warranty.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:10 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What organization are you with to get on COTA? How did it cost you and what is the procedure for getting on there?
Old 06-24-2013, 04:47 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Our radiator would make a HUGE difference in temps....shouldn't have any issues with warranty with it in there, but talk to your service advisor. I know a few guys that track them stock...just for your reason and have done the radiator upgrade with no ill effects towards the warranty.
I know! I really need to look into a better heat exchanger and radiator and know you guys have one of the best. I typically don't have track temp issues because I only run in the cooler months, but I obviously wasn't going to miss COTA just because it was June. I definitely didn't like the inflated coolant and oil temps.

Originally Posted by erichg1000
What organization are you with to get on COTA? How did it cost you and what is the procedure for getting on there?
I ran with BMWCCA this particular time. It was $600 track fee for the weekend per participant and it was worth every penny. Everything is up the air for next year with COTA and DE organizations. Track management is still deciding whether they will let DE organizations run again next year or if they are going to go in a different direction (stick with private track days which are $$,$$$) or start their own DE school. So, it's TBD on what will happen down the road.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:18 PM
erichg1000
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you know of any other events down there I could get on LMK. Is there a resource to find out who will go on COTA? I will drive down this year if they are changing rules for next year.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:36 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by erichg1000
If you know of any other events down there I could get on LMK. Is there a resource to find out who will go on COTA? I will drive down this year if they are changing rules for next year.
There's nothing scheduled for non-professional racing the rest of this year besides maybe a few private track days that aren't advertised. If you have about $55,000, you and up to 35 or so buddies can rent the track for a day. It includes lunch if that sways your decision to shell out the cash. Just call the track and tell then you want to rent it and give them a credit card number with a big limit.

Get notified of new replies

To A few random COTA laps

Old 07-06-2013, 04:51 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

My first vid with data overlay so still a work in progress. Fast forward to 4:50 or so for a little back straight action.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:35 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a minute there I thought the guy in the white car was a left arm amputee.

Is it me, or are you just taking it easy? Doesn't look like you are pushing at all.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:01 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

For a minute there I thought the guy in the white car was a left arm amputee.

Is it me, or are you just taking it easy? Doesn't look like you are pushing at all.
Due to traffic and heat, I wasn't pushing nearly as hard as I was at the January Driver's Edge event at COTA. Though, with my new race seats, harnesses, etc. I don't have to work as hard to go faster now. Can't wait for better conditions to break my previous personal best.

Quick Reply: A few random COTA laps