Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternate Location for Oil Cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 10:17 AM
godzilladude
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Alternate Location for Oil Cooler?

I have a C6, LS3, blown. All the air going through the grill is ducted through the intercooler. So that heats the air up before it ever gets to the radiator. I also have a AC condenser that completely covers the radiator, as this is also my DD, here in Texas. Of course that is off during track days. My radiator is just water, nothing else plumbed to it. I have no oil cooler, or any other fluid coolers.

Whatever shrouding the car came with, it was removed to add all the ductwork for the blower. The radiator has air gaps all the way around it. I have tried to seal that up some by adding some sheet metal to the biggest gaps, but still not sealed.

On my first track day with the blower, the water was fine, but the oil got really hot, 290+. So, I'm thinking I'll add an oil cooler. The problem with the traditional location, in front of the radiator, is now I have ONE MORE HOT THING in that same air flow. I'm concerned that this will just make all of it run too hot. I'd really like to get an alternate air source for the oil cooler.

So two questions: One, does anyone track a blown Vette regularly, and if so, where do they put their OC and does it work? And two, if I wanted to put it elsewhere, any good suggestions?

Yeah, I may be overthinking this, I just hate to burn money on upgrades that I then have to take back out and try again.

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:14 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've instructed in blown cars in Texas in the summer. Heat management is part of the event for such. To answer your question, there are few places better than the radiator. You can go in under the headlight and replace one of the brake ducts with an oil cooler duct; might even want to put a fan behind it for those times when you have a hot car but you need to stop (for a red flag on track or other reason). Brake ducts are behind the engine for cooling priority, IMO. Just remember that cooler is up there if you hit anything. You can also look into liquid/liquid heat exchangers. Ron Davis Radiators sells them and they may be just what you're looking for. Smaller, and do not require airflow so can go lots of places.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:58 AM
godzilladude
Pro

Originally Posted by yakisoba
I've instructed in blown cars in Texas in the summer. Heat management is part of the event for such. To answer your question, there are few places better than the radiator. You can go in under the headlight and replace one of the brake ducts with an oil cooler duct; might even want to put a fan behind it for those times when you have a hot car but you need to stop (for a red flag on track or other reason). Brake ducts are behind the engine for cooling priority, IMO. Just remember that cooler is up there if you hit anything. You can also look into liquid/liquid heat exchangers. Ron Davis Radiators sells them and they may be just what you're looking for. Smaller, and do not require airflow so can go lots of places.
Thanks!
Old 06-30-2013, 02:39 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Or remove the blower, and go back to stock. Keep that heat down..
Old 07-01-2013, 06:34 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it was a race car, I'd say run lines out back (near the diff) and mount it back there... but you probably have a street car.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:54 PM
godzilladude
Pro

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
if it was a race car, I'd say run lines out back (near the diff) and mount it back there... but you probably have a street car.
Ha! Believe me, I've looked at the C6R, with its big fan at the back of car, I wouldn't mind having one of those. But yes, it's a street car. Indeed, my daily. Compromise, compromise, compromise.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:38 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Aren't the factory brake ducts on the bottom of the bumper facing the ground, NACA style? Does your C6 have a sizeable lip on the bottom? If it's like the C5, I've been thinking, if I'm willing to chop up the bumper, that a horizontally mounted heat exchanger (for whatever you want to cool) would be effective if mounted in front of that lip as that's a high pressure zone.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:31 AM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

1st do you have a DeWitts radiator the stock one isnt up to the task for Texas on the track. May want to look into ducting behind the foglight.

For track use you need all the brake cooling you can get.

Lots of work but great temp control with good airflow.

Did this for an automatic but can do the same for oil.
Attached Images     
Old 07-04-2013, 05:52 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

anywhere that there is air flow, or the ability to put a fan, will work. . Nice setup above with simple tin and plastic, but you just don't want to steal air from the radiator as you know. Long oil runs to get to the back, but lots of options back there with shrouded fans.

Get notified of new replies

To Alternate Location for Oil Cooler?

Quick Reply: Alternate Location for Oil Cooler?