Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am 6'1" tall, is it possible to install a roll cage in my C5z with the OEM Roof

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 12:44 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default I am 6'1" tall, is it possible to install a roll cage in my C5z with the OEM Roof

Hi all,

Like the title states, I am looking into caging my C5z. My cage builder is concerned that there will not be enough room in the car to get the 2" minimum required head clearance from the main hoop with the OEM roof/b-pillar intact.

Thoughts/Experience?

Pictures will be VERY helpful.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:03 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I had a Kirk Roll Bar installed in my C5Z. Their roll bar was just the rear portion of their cage so the cage cross bar mounted in the same place.

Is he installing the overhead bar in front of the stock halo? I know that Kirk bar/cages have the bar mounted under the halo which may move it back far enough for your head to clear.

http://www.kirkracing.com/C5%20thru%...nside%20EM.jpg

http://www.kirkracing.com/C5%20thru%...%20section.jpg

Bill
Old 03-18-2014, 07:49 AM
lefrog
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevensa
Hi all,

Like the title states, I am looking into caging my C5z. My cage builder is concerned that there will not be enough room in the car to get the 2" minimum required head clearance from the main hoop with the OEM roof/b-pillar intact.

Thoughts/Experience?

It is doable but it depends on what seat you are using. Also are you more long legs or long torso?

I am also looking into building a rollcage and have compiled the pictures of all the rollcages I could find. You can get the doc here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0rollcages.pdf
Old 03-18-2014, 11:41 AM
fcarga
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Thoughts/Experience?

You might want to talk to another "cage builder".....
Old 03-18-2014, 11:51 AM
firebirdfan
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I had a Kirk Roll Bar installed in my C5Z. Their roll bar was just the rear portion of their cage so the cage cross bar mounted in the same place.

Is he installing the overhead bar in front of the stock halo? I know that Kirk bar/cages have the bar mounted under the halo which may move it back far enough for your head to clear.

http://www.kirkracing.com/C5%20thru%...nside%20EM.jpg

http://www.kirkracing.com/C5%20thru%...%20section.jpg

Bill
How did they weld the upper bars? Did they have to cut the roof out?
Old 03-18-2014, 12:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by firebirdfan
How did they weld the upper bars? Did they have to cut the roof out?
I don't think so. The bars are sold as a kit and in the one picture you can still see the headliner mounted to the roof. The headliner shown is from an 02 or earlier Z or FRC. 03+ headliners gave less room headroom.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 03-18-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:14 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm just under 6'1" and my cage (built by Phoenix) is compliant. You might have to experiment with seat angles. If you have a capable cage builder it shouldn't be an issue. 6'1" isn't exactly huge by any standards.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:21 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm 6'4". I took the OEM roof off, cut out the halo bar, bolted the OEM roof back in place.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:26 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Who has a 2" rule for roll cage to helmet clearance?
Old 03-18-2014, 01:31 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Some groups do a "broomstick" test for convertibles with rollbars, but never heard of a specific 2" rule.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:14 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Who has a 2" rule for roll cage to helmet clearance?
Originally Posted by travisnd
Some groups do a "broomstick" test for convertibles with rollbars, but never heard of a specific 2" rule.
Good question, now that I am looking through the NASA CCR I don't see a specific 2" rule. I do however see the 2" rule in the SCCA rulebook on page GCR 109-111. http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...R%20March1.pdf

The way it reads I can see it applying to only open cars, but maybe closed cars as well?

Another general question, is there a rule dictating a maximum angle for the main hoop? I ask because I see lots of cages with the main hoop welded to the floor behind the seats (these have some angle), and others that stay straight and go through to the frame by the fuel tanks.

Thanks for the feedback thus far guys.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:31 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Good question, now that I am looking through the NASA CCR I don't see a specific 2" rule. I do however see the 2" rule in the SCCA rulebook on page GCR 109-111. http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...R%20March1.pdf

The way it reads I can see it applying to only open cars, but maybe closed cars as well?

Another general question, is there a rule dictating a maximum angle for the main hoop? I ask because I see lots of cages with the main hoop welded to the floor behind the seats (these have some angle), and others that stay straight and go through to the frame by the fuel tanks.

Thanks for the feedback thus far guys.
Its pretty clear:
B.
MAIN HOOP
The main
hoop (behind the driver) must be the full width of the
cockpit for all cars. It must be one continuous length of tubing
with smooth bends and no evidence of crimping or wall failure.
The main hoop must maintain a single plane.
a.
On all closed cars,
the main hoop must be as close as
possible to the roof and “B” pillars.

The 2" rule is for open cars.

Get notified of new replies

To I am 6'1" tall, is it possible to install a roll cage in my C5z with the OEM Roof

Quick Reply: I am 6'1" tall, is it possible to install a roll cage in my C5z with the OEM Roof