Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IR photo of my tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 07:44 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

Default IR photo of my tire

I came across this the other week

http://www.rhworkshop.com/products/ir-blue-dm

and bought one.

Here is a photo of one of my tires after a hot autoX lap

Haven't figured out how to convert color to temperature yet, but just the notional display of red hot, blue cool and where looks pretty useful.

The upper left hand corner shows the whole temp range.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:26 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by ignatz
I came across this the other week

http://www.rhworkshop.com/products/ir-blue-dm

and bought one.

Here is a photo of one of my tires after a hot autoX lap

Haven't figured out how to convert color to temperature yet, but just the notional display of red hot, blue cool and where looks pretty useful.

The upper left hand corner shows the whole temp range.
Makes me wonder if we all should just water the outermost area.

??
Old 03-17-2014, 08:37 PM
w00tw00t
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

pretty cool!
Old 03-18-2014, 01:54 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Is the 136.4 a temp reading from some place on the tire? I think the variation in colors shows you may not have a high enough air pressure, enough negative camber or both so the whole tire isn't working for you. You want an even distribution of temps all the way across the tire for best performance. How long after you finished the run did you take your tire temps? An IR scanner may not be able to show what the actual profile of the heat distribution is unless you make the measurement just as you pull off the course. Just driving to a parking spot can screw up the surface temp of the tire.

Bill
Old 03-18-2014, 08:12 AM
lefrog
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always heard that surface heat readings was only accurate when aimed at tire while on track and recording to an onboard data logger. That's why tire pyrometers use a probe.
Your temp readings seem really low. After hot laps, I would expect the temps to be in the 180+ range.
If the relative temps are reliable enough that could give you a quick reading of your tire pressure and camber settings. For the price, I think a real tire pyrometer is still cheaper and will give you more accurate readings.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:42 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Looks like the left side of the tire is the inboard side and that is hotter than the outboard side. You need less negative camber or lower pressure if that was a good reading.

Problem is temperatures that you get from an autocross lap only reflect the last couple of corners and that can be very misleading if for instance the last two corners were right hand corners, the temperatures on the left side of the car would be good and the temps on the other side would be meaningless.

Best to do tire temps on a skidpad as opposed to an autocross course. Do one side at a time and don't worry about the other side, and just run the pad for a couple of laps and bring the car to a stop right on the pad and dive in and get the temperatures of the outside tires quickly, after 20 seconds or so the temps all start to blend together.

You don't want to do most of your setup on the skidpad, if you do you will end up way loose compared to what is a proper setup, but it's a good place to check your camber and get that dialed in. Note too that for the front camber, the speed of the pad is an issue. The tighter the pad the more steering angle you are using, and the more steering angle, the more caster effects the front tire camber, so it is good to use probably three diameters and see what the fronts are doing at different speeds.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:22 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
Looks like the left side of the tire is the inboard side and that is hotter than the outboard side. You need less negative camber or lower pressure if that was a good reading.

Good catch. I didn't really look at the picture that way. Now that I took another look it does look like that is the inside of the tire.

Problem is temperatures that you get from an autocross lap only reflect the last couple of corners and that can be very misleading if for instance the last two corners were right hand corners, the temperatures on the left side of the car would be good and the temps on the other side would be meaningless.

Best to do tire temps on a skidpad as opposed to an autocross course. Do one side at a time and don't worry about the other side, and just run the pad for a couple of laps and bring the car to a stop right on the pad and dive in and get the temperatures of the outside tires quickly, after 20 seconds or so the temps all start to blend together.

You don't want to do most of your setup on the skidpad, if you do you will end up way loose compared to what is a proper setup, but it's a good place to check your camber and get that dialed in. Note too that for the front camber, the speed of the pad is an issue. The tighter the pad the more steering angle you are using, and the more steering angle, the more caster effects the front tire camber, so it is good to use probably three diameters and see what the fronts are doing at different speeds.
Bill
Old 03-18-2014, 09:59 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If that sensor array could somehow work with a lipstick camera I'd be all over it. Anyone know of such a thing?
Old 03-18-2014, 11:07 AM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know someone who just bought one of those cameras and noticed moisture in his ceiling above a light where without the camera, there was no visual evidence to expose an issue. The camera paid for itself in a sense that without it, they would have had to pay a lot more money if the roof had been allowed to coninue and cause more wrot.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:14 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Main point of this post was just a heads up on something new that is available. I've found it to be a real pain to always have to tag a buddy to take readings in the middle of an event. And in the time it takes to take the readings the tires have changed temps. This is quick and can't be that far off from what's going on.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:50 PM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
If that sensor array could somehow work with a lipstick camera I'd be all over it. Anyone know of such a thing?
You mean like this

Old 03-18-2014, 02:09 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, but lopping off a few zeroes from the price tag.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:36 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
Or could be toe-out scrubbing the inside of the tire.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:27 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mgarfias
Or could be toe-out scrubbing the inside of the tire.
This is a rear tire on a C3. Toe is set to zero with the expection that the outside tire moves to a slight toe-in position under load, based on the angle of my half shafts.

This is getting away from the point. I posted mainly to alert anybody who's interested. And I loved the F1 video.

Ir-Blue is open source and maybe there are some takers who want to hack the code and mount their iPhone in the wheel well! Or redesign the camera!

Old 03-18-2014, 10:15 PM
passons
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job.

Get notified of new replies

To IR photo of my tire

Quick Reply: IR photo of my tire