Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler thermostat & cooler for C6Z road course discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 10:21 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,285 Likes on 930 Posts

I may have missed this but you are recording the oil pressure after the coolers yes?

Also, has anyone calculated the forces on the bearing at WOT @ MBT? I'd be curious if that 44psi (at the top of his temperature chart @270deg) would be enough to have no issues...

Might give me something to do today lol I'll find the ol' textbooks
Old 11-12-2014, 11:24 AM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Have now done lots of street and track driving in hot and "cool" weather.

Improved Racing thermostat does a fantastic job of helping oil get up to operating temp.
Before on highway on a 60* day oil would sit at 145* at the tank oil temperature sender, now it is up around 180*. In a normal 15 minute street drive it is now averaging 25* warmer.

Noticed a significant pressure bump at every RPM on track using same weight 10w40 Redline oil as verified by oil analysis. Can only assume it is due to less restriction through #10 lines, Improved Racing thermostat and Setrab 172 cooler.

This Autocal EFI Live oil pressure datalog is from a 90 degree day at Sebring.

Yes pressure is recorded at stock pickup location after cooler and filter.

Yes now that logs are done I will be bumping oil weight up for hot days. My conclusion is 40 weight is just not enough for the track in Florida in the heat. Thinking 1/2 and 1/2, 40 and 50wt.?

Log photos not showing up worth a darn on a phone, so I included a smaller link that can be blown up.

You will notice pressure peaks at 5400 rpm then drops 3 to 5 psi as rpm goes up. This is something I have seen with every LS oil pump driven at crank rpm. Does not seem to matter what tank, pan, baffles, pump, oil, ext. Pressure just drops above 5400, rotor cavitation or flutter is my bet?

Attached Images   

Last edited by blkbrd69; 11-12-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:13 PM
parsonsj
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You will notice pressure peaks at 5400 rpm then drops 3 to 5 psi as rpm goes up. This is something I have seen with every LS oil pump driven at crank rpm. Does not seem to matter what tank, pan, baffles, pump, oil, ext. Pressure just drops above 5400, rotor cavitation or flutter is my bet?
Yep. It seems to be true across the board, and I think the only real fix is to go with an external pressure pump. I saw pressures on mine drop (with 30w oil near 270*F) into the 40s near redline. That's with two scavenge stages, ARE baffles, Lingenfelter tank mod, etc.

This data logging thing can really take away your sense of security!
Old 11-12-2014, 05:40 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Or maybe you guys are over thinking it. I'll ask again has anyone calculated the approx pressure needed for the bearing at those typical power levels? How about any oil analysis to see if any bearings are getting worn or if people are worrying about useless things.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:59 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Or maybe you guys are over thinking it. I'll ask again has anyone calculated the approx pressure needed for the bearing at those typical power levels? How about any oil analysis to see if any bearings are getting worn or if people are worrying about useless things.
Oil analsis looks good for no bearing wear.

Really wish some engine builders would chime in to how low is to low on oil pressure, seems like the old 10psi per 1 thousand rpm is changing.

Data logging does give you too much information some times. My problem is I am 50% mechanic 50% engineer...

No freeken way could I calculate pressure actually needed. Not sure anyone could. Real world testing would provide the real answer.

Lots of guys have ran factory M1 5w30 at 300 degrees+ and survived.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:57 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

You are going to make me bust the textbooks out...arent you...

That rule has been around since engines have been running 20w50 as an all around engine oil lol. Says a lot I think...

Here is a quicky for how journals work:

http://www.substech.com/dokuwiki/dok...ournal_bearing

This one has some calculations for lubrication for different style of bearings (shows some maximum pressure from other engines):

http://www.substech.com/dokuwiki/dok...9ed8475a44ca2f

Classic engine oil page:

And this one is for engine bearing clearances and viscosity (would be what you are worried about with your temps and pressures):

Last edited by Apocolipse; 11-12-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:52 PM
parsonsj
Racer

Originally Posted by Matt
No freeken way could I calculate pressure actually needed.
Me either. I can probably follow along if somebody laid it all out in a comic book level explanation.

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
You are going to make me bust the textbooks out...arent you...
Yes, please.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:55 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

What clearances are you running? (approximately)

Ill see if I can use some computer programs to simulate it as well.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:17 PM
parsonsj
Racer

Clearances (from my engine builder, Crume Racing Engines): 2 to 2.5 thousands on the mains, 1.8 to 2 thousands on the rods.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:15 AM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Had to post a photo I took this weekend.

The new Pirelli World Challenge twin turbo Cadillac racecars of Johnny O'Connell and Andy Pilgrim are just sweet setups.

This take on cooling may drive some in a different direction. Thinking it would open up some airflow, help warmup, and make packaging easier especially for the C7Z guys having problems.

Note the large water to oil heat exchanger in the center of the photo.

Do not know who makes this one but looks something like a 18 plate C&R?
Attached Images  

Last edited by blkbrd69; 04-01-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:21 AM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
Note the large water to oil heat exchanger in the center of the photo.

Do not know who makes this one but looks something like a 22 plate C&R?
Nice. Another OEM for in-line oil to water heat exchangers is Laminova. One of my friends has one on his supercharged BRZ that he tracks and likes it. Not sure if Laminova makes units that are much bigger, though.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:22 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by miracle_whip4130
Nice. Another OEM for in-line oil to water heat exchangers is Laminova. One of my friends has one on his supercharged BRZ that he tracks and likes it. Not sure if Laminova makes units that are much bigger, though.
http://www.laminova.se/products/oil-coolers/
Old 04-01-2015, 07:58 PM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice read
Old 04-01-2015, 08:58 PM
mesospeedy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would something like the Laminova cooler put too much strain on the stock coolant/radiator? It seems like a nice, simple solution to helping the oil stay cool on track and getting it up to temp faster on the street vs a bigger cooler and thermostat. But will it actually decrease oil temps in the summer on track, and will it have a negative affect on coolant temps? My thinking has been go to the setrab and a thermostat to reduce oil temps, and hope it also helped coolant temps some so the stock radiator would be sufficient, saving the cost of the bigger radiator. The Laminova type cooler would be (or seems like it would) a pretty simple install assuming the fittings could work with stock lines for the oil and I guess adding T fittings in the coolant hoses. Anybody have a more info on these?
Old 04-02-2015, 04:03 PM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mesospeedy
Would something like the Laminova cooler put too much strain on the stock coolant/radiator? It seems like a nice, simple solution to helping the oil stay cool on track and getting it up to temp faster on the street vs a bigger cooler and thermostat. But will it actually decrease oil temps in the summer on track, and will it have a negative affect on coolant temps? My thinking has been go to the setrab and a thermostat to reduce oil temps, and hope it also helped coolant temps some so the stock radiator would be sufficient, saving the cost of the bigger radiator. The Laminova type cooler would be (or seems like it would) a pretty simple install assuming the fittings could work with stock lines for the oil and I guess adding T fittings in the coolant hoses. Anybody have a more info on these?
Not sure about the C6Z, but for the C5Z, the stock radiator is already undersized for track duty, so adding the Laminova to an otherwise stock system wouldn't work too well. If I remember correctly, the Laminova coolers aren't too cheap, either (~$400). My solution on my C5Z was to buy the Dewitt's radiator with oil cooler integrated in the end tank. This was only $620 and took care of the oil cooler and radiator issue for me, and lets the coolant warm the oil up quickly, as you said. I'm not sure if anyone makes a similar cooler for a C6Z, though, as they are already plumbed from the factory to run a standalone EOC.

Maybe someone else that has a C6Z will chime in......
Old 04-02-2015, 04:39 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I installed a laminova on my C5 a few years back. I double passed the radiator which made packaging the laminova pretty easy. I also built a complete custom cradle for the cooling.
The things that stand out about the laminova is:
It's a modular and very easy to service/repair/modify
Lots of surface area
Very robust although a bit heavy
For me, the built in oil coolers for the corvettes are just not large enough. I have seen over 300* oil temp with them on a stock motor driven hard, but kept well under the factory redline. There is not enough room to install a adequate size oil heat exchanger in a drop in radiator for the corvette.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:59 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Have now done lots of street and track driving in hot and "cool" weather. Improved Racing thermostat does a fantastic job of helping oil get up to operating temp. Before on highway on a 60* day oil would sit at 145* at the tank oil temperature sender, now it is up around 180*. In a normal 15 minute street drive it is now averaging 25* warmer.
That is great to hear. I am looking forward to the new kit from Improved Racing that integrates with the stock oil cooler.

Originally Posted by Mark2009
I'm really curious where your AIM picks up the oil temp info. I'm assuming via the OBD II port, if so do you happen to know or can you find out which PID? I've tried 221154 but it's a little flakey.
I use an OBDLink MX to feed Torque on an Android Head Unit and have noticed that readings from that oil temperature PID are inconsistent with what is displayed by the DIC as shown here. Any theories?

Get notified of new replies

To Oil cooler thermostat & cooler for C6Z road course discussion

Old 04-22-2015, 03:03 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Blkbrd,

How long are the oil lines that you ordered?

Thanks,
Old 04-22-2015, 04:35 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Originally Posted by skxf430
Blkbrd,

How long are the oil lines that you ordered?

Thanks,
I build my own lines, mocked them up and cut to length.
Didn't write down exact measurements.
Have an offer to Michael to come buy and measure them if he wants.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:34 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I build my own lines, mocked them up and cut to length.
Didn't write down exact measurements.
Have an offer to Michael to come buy and measure them if he wants.

I will probably do the same. I think about 8' will be enough to cover both lines.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler thermostat & cooler for C6Z road course discussion