Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any one install a ASA 525 LS3 crate engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 05:57 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Any one install a ASA 525 LS3 crate engine?

I just had an 525 LS3 crate engine install in my 2000 C5 to replace the LS1. I am using a Lingenfelter Reluctor converter box and a LS2 throttle body. The problem is it won't idle very good. you have to constantly work the throttle. I have another friend that had the same engine install about a month before me with the same issue. I was just wondering if any of the tuners out there had run into this before and if they were able to solve it.
Thanks
Old 09-20-2014, 11:01 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Does it idle at all? If it starts and dies quickly, check the wiring for the cam sensor. You may need to swap some wires to make the LS1 PCM happy (LS3 has same connector but wires are hooked up differently).
Also, do you have the proper cam trigger on the cam (1x) for the LS1 PCM?
What tune are you using and what other parts are on there (MAP, MAF etc)?
Old 09-21-2014, 07:51 AM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Does it idle at all? If it starts and dies quickly, check the wiring for the cam sensor. You may need to swap some wires to make the LS1 PCM happy (LS3 has same connector but wires are hooked up differently).
Also, do you have the proper cam trigger on the cam (1x) for the LS1 PCM?
What tune are you using and what other parts are on there (MAP, MAF etc)?
Thanks for the reply. Yes it will idle. The MAF is from a 2004 LS6 and the throttle body is from a 2006 LS2. I had a local corvette shop do the installation and tune. The only part I worked on was to install a dry sump. They want the car back to experiment but I am looking for a shop that has done this swap before and know exactly the tune it needs and what parts.
The whole project has gone way over budget. I know GM makes a stand alone controller kit for this engine. But I don't know how hard it would be to integrate with the rest of the car. What I am really looking for is if any one else has done this same swap and what their results were.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:31 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Old 09-21-2014, 12:01 PM
Kyle@KMC
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lan.Jet
I just had an 525 LS3 crate engine install in my 2000 C5 to replace the LS1. I am using a Lingenfelter Reluctor converter box and a LS2 throttle body. The problem is it won't idle very good. you have to constantly work the throttle. I have another friend that had the same engine install about a month before me with the same issue. I was just wondering if any of the tuners out there had run into this before and if they were able to solve it.
Thanks
My father and I installed a GM Performance ls3 525hp crate motor in his 70' Camaro and had a similar problem upon initial start-up. This car previously had an LS1 transplant so the swap was very similar to what you are doing. We had to work the pedal to keep it alive and even then it didn't sound like a nasty high performance engine. The verdict ended up being the MAF sensor location. We put the new (Credit Card style) MAF in the wrong location (The location is very finicky) and that caused the whole problem. We then moved the location to the proper 10" ish away from the throttle body with no bend for at least 4" in front of that and now the thing flat out runs. I am not sure where you mounted yours and it may be just fine but it might help to read into where GM wants that located (They have instructions on line just for the positioning of it and I don't recall them exactly). Just wanted to share what helped with our transplant Hope this helps. Also the 525 LS3 lopes like crazy on idle so there will be some fluctuation but you will know because it sounds beautiful.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:23 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Old 09-21-2014, 08:00 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine didn't idle worth a crap either after installation. Justin Abbott at ZIP did some reprograming that got it corrected. Maybe he'll chime in.

BTW, I like the engine.

Jim
Old 09-21-2014, 08:08 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Originally Posted by Kyle@KMC
My father and I installed a GM Performance ls3 525hp crate motor in his 70' Camaro and had a similar problem upon initial start-up. This car previously had an LS1 transplant so the swap was very similar to what you are doing. We had to work the pedal to keep it alive and even then it didn't sound like a nasty high performance engine. The verdict ended up being the MAF sensor location. We put the new (Credit Card style) MAF in the wrong location (The location is very finicky) and that caused the whole problem. We then moved the location to the proper 10" ish away from the throttle body with no bend for at least 4" in front of that and now the thing flat out runs. I am not sure where you mounted yours and it may be just fine but it might help to read into where GM wants that located (They have instructions on line just for the positioning of it and I don't recall them exactly). Just wanted to share what helped with our transplant Hope this helps. Also the 525 LS3 lopes like crazy on idle so there will be some fluctuation but you will know because it sounds beautiful.
Thanks for the reply. It sound like you used the GM performance controller kit. I am currently using a LS6 MAF in the stock location.
But this may give me a direction to look in.
When I started it today if the gas was not touched and it was started it would idle fine. If you rev it and let off it will die.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:13 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Originally Posted by jlutherva
Mine didn't idle worth a crap either after installation. Justin Abbott at ZIP did some reprograming that got it corrected. Maybe he'll chime in.

BTW, I like the engine.

Jim
Thanks for the reply. What year car was this? and do you know what throttle body and MAF was used?
Thanks
Old 09-21-2014, 11:01 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I assumed you had a canned tune or something flashed to the C5's PCM. Is that not the case?
FWIW, MAF instructions are on p2 -
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/pdfs...rol_system.pdf
Old 09-22-2014, 05:30 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
I assumed you had a canned tune or something flashed to the C5's PCM. Is that not the case?
FWIW, MAF instructions are on p2 -
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/pdfs...rol_system.pdf
Yes the shop that installed it did the tune.
Thanks for the link. It will help me trace out what they did.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:51 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

reason why is LSA 110
tune it in SD and it will purr like a kitten
Old 08-01-2018, 12:03 PM
vertigyn
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this is an old thread...so I'm hoping that you resolved this. Do you have any updates on what resolved this? I am currently going through this same problem and the shop is struggling to figure out the solution. 2003 Z06 going from a built LS6 to the LS376/525. Stalls out on decel and letting off the gas.

Edit: using a Haltech intake and an LS2 throttle body.

Last edited by vertigyn; 08-01-2018 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Adding TB used
Old 08-01-2018, 06:10 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Which MAP sensor did you end up going with? Did you use the LS3 MAP or the LS6 MAP? If you are using the LS3 MAP I believe you need a different MAP table - I don't know exactly what my tuner changed but I know he had to alter them MAP settings for the LS3 MAP, because that's what we used. I've installed 4 crate LS3's in the last year and a half including 2 525's and they all idle well. The 525's surge under 2500 on the road but other than that they are pretty well behaved. Same tuner on all 4 cars.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:26 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Part of the issue is the LS1B controller. It does not have the amount of idle tables nor the control that the E38 and E67 controller has. I am actually in the middle of one now and I am struggling with it. I have a 03 auto car with the 525 motor in it. It starts easily and idles, but you can just rev it up and let the throttle off, it will die. The fueling tables seem really good now and the transient fuel tables are much better. However it is still a problem, timing is stable. I am using the stock MAF with the curve modified for this engine. I have installed a ton of these motors and that cam but in this case they have all been on the E38 and E67 plateform. I have never had a cam difficult to idle on the LS1B so I figured it would be no problem. I am eating plenty of crow right now even possibly thinking about changing the cam which my customer nor me really want to do.

Get notified of new replies

To Any one install a ASA 525 LS3 crate engine?

Quick Reply: Any one install a ASA 525 LS3 crate engine?