Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toying with a Mini Cooper S at ECR Toys for Tots run...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 08:29 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Default Toying with a Mini Cooper S at ECR Toys for Tots run...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpwj...ature=youtu.be
Now I like to think I'm a decent driver and not the typical Corvette driver with an ego who has no experience driving it at the limits, but was told the line is the same for an approximately 2,700lb 200fwhp car on 205mm tires with a 59/41 weight distribution and a 3100lb 450rwhp car on 275/295mm tires with a 51/49 weight distribution which I thought was interesting. Was also surprised to be told that the car would dust my car on track because I asked if they had considered grouping fwd and rwd togethers cars for the event being that they would behave more similar on track ie apex/braking zone. As you can see/hear in the video he was working pretty hard and I was hardly on the throttle/tires squealing as I can't pass him of course, until we caught another run group out there and had left the others in our group behind being it was a lead/follow session. I would have gotten closer though the perspective from the license plate is a little skewed, but didn't trust my 320 treadwear tires with no ABS as I also wanted to apologize to the other modded C5Z in case he's on here that I was following later and had to dive to the inside/pass to avoid hitting as my left front locked up on cold tires and a bumpy part of the track. I've had issues in the past with a bad wheel speed sensor causing abs to not work, but the light wasn't on...I bled brakes and checked caliper when I got home to make sure it wasn't sticking, but was wondering if maybe the BPMV could be gummed up as I never get into ABS on the street and always turn the traction control off so it doesn't get to work much???
Appreciate any help, Chris

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 12-07-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:47 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The Mini Cooper will use roughly the same line as your car true. It would have been good if he used all the track out points so that as you got faster you were used to using them at the corner exits. ECR has pretty smooth gators at all the track outs. Neither car was trying that hard, that much is clear. Will a mini-cooper dust your car? No, but if he was very experienced it would have been very difficult to fetch and pass him, that is always the case with any skill level driver regardless of the car. A mini isn't trying until they are 3 wheeling in the turns

On my C6, a faulty wheel speed sensor shows up at the worst time: Under hard brakes just before I'm about to run out of pavement. A key cycle clears the code, giving a false sense of security. Fresh pads/fluid etc also extend that false sense of security. Replace that wheel speed sensor and enjoy. Track mode on or off will not change the behavior of ABS, at least on the C6 cars.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:23 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by JerryTX
The Mini Cooper will use roughly the same line as your car true. It would have been good if he used all the track out points so that as you got faster you were used to using them at the corner exits. ECR has pretty smooth gators at all the track outs. Neither car was trying that hard, that much is clear. Will a mini-cooper dust your car? No, but if he was very experienced it would have been very difficult to fetch and pass him, that is always the case with any skill level driver regardless of the car. A mini isn't trying until they are 3 wheeling in the turns

On my C6, a faulty wheel speed sensor shows up at the worst time: Under hard brakes just before I'm about to run out of pavement. A key cycle clears the code, giving a false sense of security. Fresh pads/fluid etc also extend that false sense of security. Replace that wheel speed sensor and enjoy. Track mode on or off will not change the behavior of ABS, at least on the C6 cars.
Agreed, his line could have been better was what I thought and could possibly see the mini being faster in certain sections of the track where it's more technical and higher hp/more weight won't help. I've seen times from stock vettes in the 2:0x range and hear ya on the 3 wheels, but curious what you think a good lap time from a mini at ECR would be as those were 2:2x? We hit ~100mph on the back stretch, and I was told a vette usually does 120 not sure of the hp level though I've seen a zr1 hit 130. Which are similar speeds to what each respective vehicle does in the 1/4 and I can't see the mini carrying much more speed at corner exit, so it's then a drag race to that next corner where a mini does around a 100 ironically. Different and longer track I understand, but there was quite a bit of time difference between this mini and vette on same day/driver I believe...http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ks-3171-page-3
Regardless I understand the driver is going to make the most difference after riding in a 184hp 2.5L Z4 driven by a Formula 3 driver passing vettes with twice the power 10 years ago at TWS.

As far as the wheel speed sensor I took care of that and the light no longer comes on like it did, but I'm going to check the BPMV with a Tech 2 even though it has been discontinued for pre-2000 models from what I've heard. I was also told that a bad steering position sensor could be to blame from giving false steering angles and incorrect brake application, but I don't have a code from it either. I'm wanting to get a shifter kart soon to work on driving skills rather than spending more money on the vette as it's honestly the most fun I've had on 4-wheels, better even than giving thrill rides in Ferrari and Lamborghini's on the infield road course at TMS

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 12-08-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:34 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Agreed, his line could have been better was what I thought and could possibly see the mini being faster in certain sections of the track where it's more technical and higher hp/more weight won't help. I've seen times from stock vettes in the 2:0x range and hear ya on the 3 wheels, but curious what you think a good lap time from a mini at ECR would be as those were 2:2x? We hit ~100mph on the back stretch, and I was told a vette usually does 120 not sure of the hp level though I've seen a zr1 hit 130. Which are similar speeds to what each respective vehicle does in the 1/4 and I can't see the mini carrying much more speed at corner exit, so it's then a drag race to that next corner where a mini does around a 100 ironically. Different and longer track I understand, but there was quite a bit of time difference between this mini and vette on same day/driver I believe...http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ks-3171-page-3
Regardless I understand the driver is going to make the most difference after riding in a 184hp 2.5L Z4 driven by a Formula 3 driver passing vettes with twice the power 10 years ago at TWS.

As far as the wheel speed sensor I took care of that and the light no longer comes on like it did, but I'm going to check the BPMV with a Tech 2 even though it has been discontinued for pre-2000 models from what I've heard. I was also told that a bad steering position sensor could be to blame from giving false steering angles and incorrect brake application, but I don't have a code from it either. I'm wanting to get a shifter kart soon to work on driving skills rather than spending more money on the vette as it's honestly the most fun I've had on 4-wheels, better even than giving thrill rides in Ferrari and Lamborghini's on the infield road course at TMS
Mini should be able to do 2:06s or better with slicks. I can't help you with C5 electronics, a lot of guys on this forum know that stuff really well. Do some searching on there I'm sure you will find some help.

Shifter karts rock! I got one this year and my son and I joined NTK (in Denton, look into it!) for $330 for the year. We need to get the carb dialed in and the front brake master working, but even with those problems its just silly fun and really teaches fantastic skills.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:46 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I am not really sure if a Mini Copper S is much of a contender for the C5Z. I am not super fast in my '01 Z06 on R888, but there was an experienced older guy at Putnam earlier this year at one of the track days with a gutted Cooper S with slicks on and his times were a good five seconds slower than mine. It wasn't even a contest. I would have lapped him if one of the sessions was a little longer. They handle well, but his power to weight ratio as compared to my 425whp Vette was no match.

Last edited by tytek; 12-09-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:26 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by JerryTX
Mini should be able to do 2:06s or better with slicks. I can't help you with C5 electronics, a lot of guys on this forum know that stuff really well. Do some searching on there I'm sure you will find some help.

Shifter karts rock! I got one this year and my son and I joined NTK (in Denton, look into it!) for $330 for the year. We need to get the carb dialed in and the front brake master working, but even with those problems its just silly fun and really teaches fantastic skills.
I was thinking 2:1x on street tires as his mini was, but if talking slicks then vette should be able to do a 1:5x I'd imagine.

For sure, yeah you can't beat the inexpensive seat time and hoping to get my son involved as well...we've been a few times, maybe we'll see y'all out there sometime!

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 12-09-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:32 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by tytek
I am not really sure if a Mini Copper S is much of a contender for the C5Z. I am not super fast in my '01 Z06 on R888, but there was an experienced older guy at Putnam earlier this year at one of the track days with a gutted Cooper S with slicks on and his times were a good five seconds slower than mine. It wasn't even a contest. I would have lapped him if one of the sessions was a little longer. They handle well, but his power to weight ratio as compared to my 425whp Vette was no match.
Thanks for sharing your experience, that was my thinking...as fast/maybe slightly faster through the corners being an oversized go kart, but no match once the track starts straightening out and overall even if it's faster in the corners it's not enough to make up for the straights unless somehow there aren't any.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:13 AM
t.renz791
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Minis and Miatas are great cars to use as learning tools because youu are rewarded for correct lines, braking points ect with maintaining momentum. A powerful car like a vette, m3, 911s ect can allow a driver to hide his mistakes with power.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:55 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

ive found that the connectors on the lines going to the wheel speed sensors corrode and cause issues. You may want to check them out.

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Hmmmmmmm,,,,,, VERY INTERESTING! GM has had very POOR reliability with certain female connector pins. The C5 wheel speed sensor female pins are a very good example. They spread and loose contact with the male pin. Very common issue. Heres a good connector and a bad one:

Bill C
you can bend the corroded pins so that they contact the sensor's as a temporary fix until replacement. should be around 30 bucks each.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:29 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by t.renz791
Minis and Miatas are great cars to use as learning tools because youu are rewarded for correct lines, braking points ect with maintaining momentum. A powerful car like a vette, m3, 911s ect can allow a driver to hide his mistakes with power.
I hear what you're saying, but at the same time it's easier to overshoot those marks with a faster/more powerful car and overdrive the car ruining corner exit speeds. To me it's more rewarding driving a fast car fast than a slow car fast as it's more of a challenge.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:31 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by el es tu
ive found that the connectors on the lines going to the wheel speed sensors corrode and cause issues. You may want to check them out.

you can bend the corroded pins so that they contact the sensor's as a temporary fix until replacement. should be around 30 bucks each.

Thanks, I have looked into that even though I'm not throwing any codes from the wheel speed sensor anymore like previously. I'm still waiting to test BPMV with tech 2, but will report back.

Get notified of new replies

To Toying with a Mini Cooper S at ECR Toys for Tots run...

Quick Reply: Toying with a Mini Cooper S at ECR Toys for Tots run...