Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about what to do when spinout happens

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 09:14 AM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember the saying slow is smooth and smooth is fast? keep that in mind and you wont spin anymore.. Ive spun 3 times in 7 yrs of track driving. One time I left the track and when I got back on the black top the car just didn't want to settle in time and I forced a spin to stop the cars momentum. The other time was braking too hard too late into a tight corner and the back got real light and the car went around..
As you get more experience you know where the limit is and you don't spin much.. maybe fish tail but you can correct it with little quick inputs or letting go of the gas to tuck it in..

Drive in perfect weather track days and find that edge of your cars handling and performance, then when in the rain/snow or less perfect conditions take 10 to 15 mph off that for a buffer and you should be fine. Listen to your car. It will tell you what it doesn't like.. and remember when you slide too much and have to correct all the time you are actually going slower..
Old 12-21-2014, 01:59 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

2 feet in works great without ABS. Ruins your tires but can save your bacon.

OTOH with ABS and the car trying to prevent wheels from locking up, I am not so sure what the right answer is. Don't spin, I guess (but I have, usually on corner exit which is just stupid over exhuberance).

Spinning on corner entry and you have yourself a problem.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:08 AM
magracy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the one thing I didn't see anyone mention is to straighten the steering wheel to stop the tilta wheel effect. I think thats why people put tape at the top center of their wheel.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:52 AM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by magracy
the one thing I didn't see anyone mention is to straighten the steering wheel to stop the tilta wheel effect. I think thats why people put tape at the top center of their wheel.
yes unwind the wheel, do it all the time.. tape on the center of the wheel is a good idea
Old 12-22-2014, 10:27 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

is that tape on the steering wheel?

they tought us to steer in immediatly after braking, to take advantage of the weight transfer to the front. if you dont get it right, you spin.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:40 AM
cwikstro
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

When wheel to wheel racing, sometimes the "spin" is due to fluid on the track from another car, or your car. Sometimes it can happen when tires go away and the driver pushes them farther than the grip allows. Or contact from another car. The main thing is to be aware of where you are and what is nearby, if you can drive a little to avoid hitting something, try! I always try to get the clutch in to keep the car running, assess if you and the car are OK, then look for safe reentry to the track, watch the course workers for this.

Your question of spinning at speed is likely grip related which is driver controlable. Stay within yourself and your car, it is more fun that way.

When you get back going a good smokey burnout is in order as you will feel mad at yourself for letting it go around!
Old 12-25-2014, 04:46 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This might be an interesting related thread;

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...in-please.html
Old 12-26-2014, 08:02 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

good thread. thanks.

Quick Reply: question about what to do when spinout happens