Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette noob needs some help with Grand Sport autoX/track day mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 05:01 PM
baddogz28
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vette noob needs some help with Grand Sport autoX/track day mods

Hi guys... Noob here with some basic questions about tracking my GS- right away I will be autocrossing the car the end of this month and running the July 5th track day at COTA with Edge Addicts.

Here's my tentative build out plan (did some searching but just wanted some opinions: )

1. Seat upgrade... Sparco Evo or the like with Crow harnesses and Sharkbar- any other seats that are 'go to' in the Vette community that I should consider?

2. Stainless steel brake lines and high temp fluid, any particular brands I should focus on?

3. Track wheels... Should I try to snag some OEM take off Z06 or GS wheels or would ebay knock-offs suffice for track duty? Used CCW's in the for sale forum? Any size and wheel widths that are the norm for you guys? I'd like to retain TPMS.

4. Tires... I'd like to stay with something 200TW for longevity and AutoX classing, any particular recommendations? I know from searching that many of the latest greatest rubber seems to not be exact fit for the Vette.

I'm not a newbie to being on track- familiar with the usual pre-track prep for what it's worth... Advanced run group with NASA Texas at this point.

Any other additional mods I should do before putting this thing thru its paces? Additional brake ducting in the front?

Thanks for humoring me guys, and I appreciate any feedback.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:40 PM
baddogz28
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump? Too many questions I guess... lol.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

The seat will take you out of stock autocross classes. If you don't change the seat before your first event make sure you use the seat belt cinch system to hold you in place. First run the seat all the way rear ward. Then pull the shoulder belt all the way out until it hits a hard stop and starts ratcheting when you let it back in. Fasten the belt and put your left hand on the shoulder belt near the take up reel, put your right hand on the shoulder belt near the buckle and then use the right hand to pull the lap belt tight while feeding the slack into the take up reel with your left hand. Once the belt is as tight as you can get it run the seat forward to your normal seating position. This can involve some discomfort but you want the belt feeling like it is going to cut you in half at the pelvis and tight enough across the chest that if you are breathing hard it stops your chest from expanding enough to take in enough air.

That will hold your butt in place in the seat which will limit the sliding around. Your upper body will still move sideways since the seat doesn't have deep enough side bolsters but that is the case with stock seats including BMW and other C&D vaunted brands. To counter balance your shoulders moving sideways you will automatically spread your knees outward to wedge them between the door and the center console. The speaker is a cheese grater so wear long pants.

18x11 front and 18x13 rear CCWs are sort of the favorites for track usage.

There are plenty of excellent brake fluids available. I prefer Wilwood 570 and 600 Plus.

Take a look at replacing the brake system with something more track capable. If you want to run the stock calipers put some antisieze on the padlet guide pin bolts so they don't freeze in the caliper during your first track day. Also get some cooling air to the calipers and rotors as they tend to boil the fluid quicker than other calipers. Track pads for the stock calipers are expensive and don't last long due to thickness limitations imposed by the caliper. Stock rotors are pretty good. You can probably get 5 hard track days before cracking them.

Bill
Old 06-16-2015, 06:28 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by baddogz28
4. Tires... I'd like to stay with something 200TW for longevity and AutoX classing, any particular recommendations? I know from searching that many of the latest greatest rubber seems to not be exact fit for the Vette.

The Bridgestone 71r. and the BFG's Rival S are the best 200tw tires you can buy, hands down. Buy the correct size rims to make it happen. Longevity is not going to happen with these.

Steve
Old 06-16-2015, 10:08 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

My preferences... Stainless lines, brake cooling ducts, Track pads (e.g., Crobotech RP2, Hawk DTC-70/60, Rabestos R43) and Motul 600 fluid (reasonable price, never boiled it). NT-05 tires (also good performance per $). I've driven COTA, slowing down to 30 MPH for the hairpin turn after coming 155 down the .7M strait ate through a set of Carbotech XP10s in one day (4 sessions). I'd bring an extra set of pads and rotors just in case.

Get notified of new replies

To Vette noob needs some help with Grand Sport autoX/track day mods

Quick Reply: Vette noob needs some help with Grand Sport autoX/track day mods