Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

o2 Sensors Burning Up - LS7 C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 08:59 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Default o2 Sensors Burning Up - LS7 C6 Z06

Anyone else running headers on C6 Z06 having to replace front o2 sensors regularly?

They keep burning up their heater circuits after a few track days and then throw a CEL. They last forever on the street but I'm thinking it is the heat that is killing them with the headers when road racing.

I talked to my local shop and they said it is common and they replace them regularly on their track cars and customers track cars but haven't found a fix to prevent it.

Anyone found a fix to prevent the heater circuits from going bad?
Old 08-04-2015, 09:43 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by dapopa9
Anyone else running headers on C6 Z06 having to replace front o2 sensors regularly?

They keep burning up their heater circuits after a few track days and then throw a CEL. They last forever on the street but I'm thinking it is the heat that is killing them with the headers when road racing.

I talked to my local shop and they said it is common and they replace them regularly on their track cars and customers track cars but haven't found a fix to prevent it.

Anyone found a fix to prevent the heater circuits from going bad?
Did you buy the sensors at this local shop you refer to?
Old 08-04-2015, 09:46 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
Did you buy the sensors at this local shop you refer to?
I've bought them GM dealership and online as they have been replaced a few times. Why does that matter where they came from? haha
Old 08-04-2015, 10:13 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

Not had that problem
Old 08-05-2015, 01:51 AM
odxr
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

A track day would keep the o2's at a high temp for a long time.If you have no cats they could be relocated downstream so they run cooler.Some fab work needed.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:27 AM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by odxr
A track day would keep the o2's at a high temp for a long time.If you have no cats they could be relocated downstream so they run cooler.Some fab work needed.
You don't really want to relocate the primary O2 sensors further downstream, as this would increase the transport delay of the feedback loop. This will affect closed loop fueling, which shouldn't be a big deal for a track car, but could be on the street.

OP, are you using pump fuel? Any RTV silicone or anti-seize used upstream of the O2 that might not be sensor safe? I don't have a C6 Z06 but I've never heard of this problem. It makes me think that something unique to your car is causing the issue.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:03 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by miracle_whip4130
You don't really want to relocate the primary O2 sensors further downstream, as this would increase the transport delay of the feedback loop. This will affect closed loop fueling, which shouldn't be a big deal for a track car, but could be on the street.

OP, are you using pump fuel? Any RTV silicone or anti-seize used upstream of the O2 that might not be sensor safe? I don't have a C6 Z06 but I've never heard of this problem. It makes me think that something unique to your car is causing the issue.
Might be lean mixture causing Higher than normal exhaust temps.
I'd check for that first as it would eventually cause other problems (exhaust valves, burned pistons)
Old 08-05-2015, 10:05 AM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
Might be lean mixture causing Higher than normal exhaust temps.
I'd check for that first as it would eventually cause other problems (exhaust valves, burned pistons)
That's true. You could also check ignition timing, as very advanced or very retarded ignition timing can cause very high EGTs as well.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:06 AM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

It seems to only be an issue with C6 Z06 LS7 cars running headers and is happening to other cars in addition to mine. There are some other forum posts on this as well but not really much of a resolution. I see the guys from LG had these issues and they also mentioned moving moving the o2 farther back as well...I was hoping there may be another option besides this.

Ignition timing, mixture, and tune have all been checked a couple times and are spot on to where they should be.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:51 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by dapopa9
I've bought them GM dealership and online as they have been replaced a few times. Why does that matter where they came from? haha
When a vendor buys a bad batch of parts, exchanging a defective part for another defective part will lead to a problem that you have. GM has had severe quality control issues. Not sure if it has to do with bankruptcy and giving all their vendors the shaft or not. Is there a non-GM sensor you could get?
Old 08-08-2015, 06:07 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

What headers are you running? Cats or none?
Old 08-08-2015, 06:12 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

What fuel are you running? I had some race fuel do that to me before, supposed to be unleaded but was leaded killed my O2 sensors.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:55 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
When a vendor buys a bad batch of parts, exchanging a defective part for another defective part will lead to a problem that you have. GM has had severe quality control issues. Not sure if it has to do with bankruptcy and giving all their vendors the shaft or not. Is there a non-GM sensor you could get?

Try another brand.

Get notified of new replies

To o2 Sensors Burning Up - LS7 C6 Z06

Quick Reply: o2 Sensors Burning Up - LS7 C6 Z06