Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5Z with 18s all around at track tomorrow..?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 10:41 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default C5Z with 18s all around at track tomorrow..?

I put my extra set of 18s on the front for tomorrow and they have the same height/aspect ratio tires as the OEM tires on the rear. I noticed that the front is sitting maybe as much as 1" higher in the front now. It didn't scrape as normal when backing out of the driveway, so I know it's definitely higher. Any concerns I should have about running the car this way?
Old 08-14-2015, 11:06 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Just remember to either turn the traction control off or turn the competitive mode on before you try to go anywhere. The car will turn in quicker and you'll probably never go back to a stagger set up again.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:40 AM
REVHARD
Racer

started running 315 square this year...simply AWESOME!!
Old 08-15-2015, 12:33 PM
CeeFiveZee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like others have said...you'll never go back. If you have front brake ducts you'll most likely be hitting the tires on the ducting at full lock...so you'll be making multipoint turns out of simple parking lot maneuvers but that's the only drawback.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:42 PM
V3tt3l
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Strong this. Once you go 18 square with appropriate tires you'll never go back. I went to C5Z 18's and NT01 315's and ooohhhhhh boy. I've had to start holding back in corners for fear of losing the motor b/c no dry sump >.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:06 AM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I took Last C5's advice and went square with Toyo R888's on TSW Nurburgring 18" wheels. The car was significantly more responsive in the turns.

Thanks Doug!
Old 08-16-2015, 12:21 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I run a C4 with a square 17 inch 275 set up. So I already have the advantage of being square.

How much, if any, of the benefits described above could I harvest by going 18 square?

And how much results from jumping from 275 to 315?
Old 08-16-2015, 02:03 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

**search**
Old 08-16-2015, 02:46 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Thanks guys. I learned a lesson I'd never known yesterday after 8 years of open tracking. Never run two different compound rear vs front and turn active control off. I had 100 compound slicks up front with my BFG Rivals out back. Was fine in Competitive Driving mode, but oh boy...with it off not so much. The *** end got loose exiting a fairly wide 180 turn. They broke loose like i hit water or something. I guess the TC automatically came back on as my pedal went soft for a second but my car turned back the other direction. I still went all four off but was able to save it and drive back onto the track without stopping.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:49 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 475 Likes on 352 Posts

Just put the stickers on the outside 2, that way most of the track is good.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:34 AM
Xian
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SKMCOBRA
Thanks guys. I learned a lesson I'd never known yesterday after 8 years of open tracking. Never run two different compound rear vs front and turn active control off. I had 100 compound slicks up front with my BFG Rivals out back. Was fine in Competitive Driving mode, but oh boy...with it off not so much. The *** end got loose exiting a fairly wide 180 turn. They broke loose like i hit water or something. I guess the TC automatically came back on as my pedal went soft for a second but my car turned back the other direction. I still went all four off but was able to save it and drive back onto the track without stopping.
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with mixing compounds if you're making a conscious decision/choice to do so with the intention of changing grip/handling at the different ends of the car... but doing it accidentally? lol
Old 08-18-2015, 10:29 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by Xian
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with mixing compounds if you're making a conscious decision/choice to do so with the intention of changing grip/handling at the different ends of the car... but doing it accidentally? lol
I think I should have put the Rivals up front and the slicks out back. Then if anything I would have pushed a bit and could have countered with the throttle a bit.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:25 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

You need to rent the track by yourself, jus sayin.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:02 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
You need to rent the track by yourself, jus sayin.
You can keep your sarcasm to yourself if you don't mind. I've been open tracking for about 8 years now with many many hours of track time. However most are on my former Mustang Cobra. This was my third time on track with the C5Z. Sheesh...
Old 08-20-2015, 03:26 PM
Xian
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can keep your sarcasm to yourself if you don't mind. I've been open tracking for about 8 years now with many many hours of track time. However most are on my former Mustang Cobra. This was my third time on track with the C5Z. Sheesh...
I think his point might be that putting on grossly mis-matched tires isn't the best idea. Having found out that it's not a good idea, flipping the low grip tire to the front of the car is also kinda bold. Given your 8 years of experience, I'm sure you've seen or at least heard about one person's error in judgement taking out somebody else... it doesn't happen often but it really shouldn't happen at all.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:02 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Having 8 years of track experience in any car and

#1, Not knowing how to use the search function to find out 80% of C5 guys run the 18 square setup

and the winner

#2, With 8 years of track experience, not knowing the consequences of running two different tire compounds on each end of the car would DRASTICALLY effect grip. Most guys know the same tire with more heat cycles on each end of the car will have an effect on grip. I bet everyone in the paddock who saw your car did a facepalm.

Carry on.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:01 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

#2, With 8 years of track experience, not knowing the consequences of running two different tire compounds on each end of the car would DRASTICALLY effect grip. Most guys know the same tire with more heat cycles on each end of the car will have an effect on grip. I bet everyone in the paddock who saw your car did a facepalm.

Carry on.
I'd be embarrassed to ever admit I wasted a track day by running slicks on one end and R's on the other. Still running the nannies after 8 years would be another thing I don't think I'd broadcast
Old 08-20-2015, 11:06 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Having 8 years of track experience in any car and

#1, Not knowing how to use the search function to find out 80% of C5 guys run the 18 square setup

and the winner

Carry on.
Not sure what you meant by #1. Mine was the 18" set up on all four corners AND yes I have known that since I bought the car two years ago. As for #2 I'm in a bit of a situation. When I ran the Cobra I had a car hauler and Ford F150 Supercrew to tow it. Divorce and buying teenagers cars has caused me to sell both. This was at a local county sheriff's track and I was able to drive there only a few miles away. Thus why I threw the slicks on the front and left the Rivals on the rear. There weren't many cars on the track at a time and it was held by the local Mustang club. I was out there more to play around and just didn't think about the fronts being that much more sticky than the Rivals on the rear. Yes...may bad. Take it easy on a guy who was missing the track.

Get notified of new replies

To C5Z with 18s all around at track tomorrow..?

Quick Reply: C5Z with 18s all around at track tomorrow..?