Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curiosity, duplicating the gt lm sound....

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 08:06 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Curiosity, duplicating the gt lm sound....

The c7r is such a unique sound that sounds so powerful and those who have heard it know you feel it in your chest. I've been to a lot of track events and never heard anything even close to it... Now the z4m is starting to sound closer to the sound.

I don't need an answer like "well it depends a lot on the cam specs and overlap" I would like to get people who may have real insight like the c7r uses ______ overlap on the cam and this type of exhaust.

Then, could it be duplicated 90% close on one of our cars? Or would that velocity stack play too big of a role?
Old 08-26-2015, 09:20 AM
camcam
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been to a lot of track events and never heard anything even close to it.
Probably because most if not all tracks have some sort of decibel limit and excessively loud cars with no mufflers would not pass those limitations.

Without knowing how the headers are routed and even if they run the same firing order it's going to be tough to replicate exactly. However LTs with no cats, x pipe and bullet mufflers should be as close as you can get without knowing specifics.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:51 PM
vehicular
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This article has a pretty extensive overview of the C7.R, including views of the headers/ exhaust/ intake manifolds:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...vette-C7R.aspx

I would guess that the collection order of the headers (and the subsequent interaction of the exhaust pulses as they reach the exits of the exhausts), along with the collected ITBs are the reason it sounds like it does. I would also guess that the cam specs aren't that radical, as really outrageous cams don't get you anywhere with inlet restrictors. Rowdy cams make power up top, where the restrictors are capping the power off.

The ~2012 Whelen Grand Am cars (or maybe the Sahlen cars? one of them sounded like dump trucks, one sounded like race cars) sounded righteous. I can't find any engine bay pictures showing the headers, but they all have single throttle intake manifolds.

You could probably get pretty close on the sound with just 4-2-1 headers (I don't know of any except the Pfadts off the top of my head...) and straight pipes. ITBs wouldn't hurt either. They're pricey, though, obviously.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:51 PM
vehicular
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the way, MotoIQ has pretty extensive articles on both generations of C6R as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Curiosity, duplicating the gt lm sound....

Quick Reply: Curiosity, duplicating the gt lm sound....