Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forgestar Wheels: Suitable for track use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 12:03 PM
Greg Campbell
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Forgestar Wheels: Suitable for track use?

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with track use of Foregstar wheels and if they are strong enough to withstand the load, curbs, etc.

I have just been quoted $1,550 for a set of wheels, which seems suspiciously low for a forged wheel (vs. CCW prices of ~$3,000 and Finspeed of ~$4,000).

What do you think?
Old 09-02-2015, 12:17 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I have been using them for over two years. I have three sets. Many others in SoCal are racing on them, too. I cracked a spoke on one of my more heavily used and abused wheels last October. I think it was due to the abuse the wheel incurred. The others are doing fine so far.

It is important to note I have cracked and bent CCW and OEM wheels as well. In most cases of cracked spokes on wheels I have been able to suspiciously tie the cracking to a wheel that was very previously not properly or fully torqued before going out on track and where I had to pit to tighten the wheel when I noticed the clicking sound of a loose wheel.

These wheels are called Forgestars, but don't confuse that with forging in the conventional sense. I think they are made in a process known as spin forging. I have run some wheels from 949 Racing that were spun forged and they have proven to be the strongest wheels I have.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:13 PM
GetYourWheels
Supporting Vendor

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Forgestars are a great value for the money, they're light/strong, and many of my customers use them for hardcore track setups.

The difference in price vs CCW is because the wheels are not cold forged multi-piece wheels like CCWs. They are a flow formed is a more advanced method of casting, and gives you a lighter/stronger one piece cast wheel without the $1000/wheel price point of 3piece wheels.

Check out our Forgestar thread here for more info and photos!
Old 09-02-2015, 02:14 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 166 Posts

May also depend on the tires you are using for "track use". You'll need stronger wheels for R-comp tires, whereas OEM wheels should be fine with street tires.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:07 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

I carry Forgestar, and own a set myself. I run them on Z06 on track and to autocross on (with Hoosier A7's). Lots of customers on them on cars up to 4100 pounds race weight (Gen 5 1LE Camaro) too.

I would be happy to take care of you on some and that price wouldn't be a problem. Depending on a few details maybe I can do a little better.

But I'm out of the office until 9/14 racing myself. Either way, the wheels aren't going to snap.

Get notified of new replies

To Forgestar Wheels: Suitable for track use?

Quick Reply: Forgestar Wheels: Suitable for track use?