Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Care & Feeding of Lexan Windows

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 06:34 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Care & Feeding of Lexan Windows

All of my Lexan windows have developed a surface roughness to them that reduces visibility. I've tried various polishes, cleaners and rubbing compounds with no success. My first reaction was that I used some type of window cleaner on them that damaged the surface however my side windows have not seen any cleaners and are doing the same thing. The only time the car is exposed to sunlight is when I have it at a track event. I keep it covered the rest of the time.

Would wet sanding help or is it end of life for the materials?

Jim
Old 12-14-2015, 09:40 AM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

depends on how old they are. i try my best to never touch the lexan windows unless i absolutely need to clean them. my back window was just cleaned last week for the fist time ever and i installed it at the beginning of this year. every time you wipe them down they get little streaks, even if you use a microfiber towel.

that's about all i know about windows i'm sure some of the more experienced people on this board can comment on how long they last.

Last edited by johnny c; 12-15-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:54 AM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think lexan is too soft to polish but try a small area with McGuire's headlight restoration polish. Best advice is to not touch them unless you have to.

The coated windshield on my stockcar had the coating start to degrade and flake off but it was very old. Nothing worked on the coated stuff. I replaced it with non coated lexan and have already scuffed it a little by putting a tarp over the car and towing it on an open trailer. Looks like that might clean off with McGuire's headlight restoration polish but haven't gone after much but a small area so far.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:23 AM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

don't try and install tear-offs yourself. i did this and it bubbled so bad i couldn't see out of it. i used to tint car windows when i was younger so i thought i could do it. when i pulled the film it left miles of glue and the window was trashed.
The following users liked this post:
PaConehead (12-31-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 01:21 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

They will wear out overtime and you will have to replace them. I don't know if I have seen one last forever.

This is what I used on our cars through the season though.

http://www.novuspolish.com/

Works pretty well if you stay on top of it.
jlutherva (12-14-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 03:18 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Novus works well. They make cleaners and polishes.

Had great luck with Plexus for maintenance on aircraft and motorcycle windscreens.

Works well on headlight lenses also.
jlutherva (12-14-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 03:34 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
Novus works well. They make cleaners and polishes.

Had great luck with Plexus for maintenance on aircraft and motorcycle windscreens.

Works well on headlight lenses also.
Thanks guys, I'll give Novus and Plexus a try. I've already tried the Mcguire's headlight restoration kit with no luck. Window may be beyond saving.

Jim
Old 12-14-2015, 07:27 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have a Novus kit that I used on my Stock car. Still had to replace the windshield every year, but I would polish it during the season. Stuff works great ! I even use it on my eyeglasses !
Old 12-20-2015, 09:31 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

How long did you get from them? Im considering a rear hatch glass
Old 12-21-2015, 10:21 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Lexan windows in general are not very durable in terms of scratches and overall clarity, but if you buy molded ones from Five Star or similar, they have a coating that seems to help. I personally run a glass windshield because it's less hassle, but when we were running lexan I always kept a thick tearoff (~$60) on the car. It made the windshield a 4 year replacement item rather than yearly.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:13 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by 383
How long did you get from them? Im considering a rear hatch glass
The windshield and rear hatch window came with the car. I added side windows for transportation. The side windows lasted about 2-years. This year, I replaced the Lexan windshield with a glass windshield. It had degraded beyond the point of serviceability. I'll get another year out of the rear window. All of the Lexan products were from 5-Star.
& Merry Christmas
Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Care & Feeding of Lexan Windows

Quick Reply: Care & Feeding of Lexan Windows