Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA CAM S What are you running?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 10:38 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramo7769
Are you familiar with the Prince song, "Little Red Corvette?"
Yes, it is a kool song. I believe the song was air played for the first time in 1982 or 1983.

I bought a " Little Red Corvette" (C5 Peddle Car) for my grandson when he was born because I didn't want him to grow up in a Mustang environment. I parked the car in his bedroom where he can see it from his crib so he can get use to being a Corvette owner. When he was 8, I bought him another "Little Red Corvette" (C7 RC) and he likes the car. Unfortunately, he is still growing up in a Mustang environment but, he enjoys ridding in one of my real Corvettes. But, there is still some hope.

Now, his dad is even thinking about building a C3 Corvette realizing that a Corvette may be a better car to race.

Last edited by Nokones; 05-10-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:12 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Nokones
That is why I like CAM Challenge Events, no little cars and no little cars with grunt sounding motors.
CAM=fun.

I instructed last Sunday at our SCCA Novice school. My students (2 for the day) had a 60's Camaro & a 60's Nova, both with updated suspension (Ridetech?) and 350+ hp. The students had basic skills & listened so I got them going a bit faster around a 60 sec west lot course.

It showered for about 1/2 hour at about 10:30 which could not have been better for a school, off camber, elevation change lot. Wet the whole course down. What a blast. Dried off in the pm for some fast laps.

Got me thinking about an old CAM car. Hehe.

I did not realize they could handle with the suspension upgrade.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:39 AM
Siddvette
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

running a 96 in CAM S, although in my region there aren't enough cars to split into sub categories, so it's just CAM ...
Old 05-25-2016, 09:16 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Originally Posted by Siddvette
running a 96 in CAM S, although in my region there aren't enough cars to split into sub categories, so it's just CAM ...
You should sign up for the Washington DC National Tour.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:23 PM
Siddvette
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should sign up for the Washington DC National Tour.
Oh I'll be there, just haven't gotten around to signing up yet.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:40 PM
01badvette
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

A little late to party but I'm running Cam-S in upstate NY regions this summer.
2001 Vette

Suspension-
z06 mono springs (F/R)
Z06 sway bars (F/R)
GM T1 shocks
(lowered 1.2 inches from stock ride height)

Brakes- Stoptech slotted street pads / Rotors.

Engine-
PRC stage 2.5 heads
torquer v4 cam
Fast 92 w/match TB
monster stage II clutch
*plus all other bolt ons and supporting mods

Tires-
Stock 17/18 speedline wheels with bridgestone RE71R tires.

The following users liked this post:
BrianCunningham (06-19-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 07:02 PM
Borg Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Ran my STU car (2004 Coupe) in CAM-S. It was a lot of fun and we did really well with it. Some 315s and it would be a blast!

Results

Winning Runs

My Fastest
Lane Borg - Owner
lane@borgmotorsports.com
2012 AS Solo National Champion
2014 BS ProSolo and Solo National Champion

Last edited by Borg Motorsports; 06-19-2016 at 07:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Borg Motorsports:
383 (06-19-2016), BrianCunningham (06-19-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 11:29 AM
Acid666
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

I made a post recently asking about the AS class, as that's what I ran a couple of weeks ago only to find out that my mods were technically illegal in AS. I did some more reading and I think CAM might be the place for me. I don't want a full blown autocross car, but I do want to be competitive in a class but still have fun with it, and it looks like CAM might be the place for me. I got RIPPED by a 2010 Grand Sport in AS by 6 seconds on a 54 second course (my times at least).

For reference I'm in a C5Z with intake, axle back, short throw and Forgestar F14s w/ 305 and 275s. Only other major mod I want to do is headers and a tune... And then things like bushings and other handling upgrades.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:35 PM
01badvette
Racer

Originally Posted by Acid666
I made a post recently asking about the AS class, as that's what I ran a couple of weeks ago only to find out that my mods were technically illegal in AS. I did some more reading and I think CAM might be the place for me. I don't want a full blown autocross car, but I do want to be competitive in a class but still have fun with it, and it looks like CAM might be the place for me. I got RIPPED by a 2010 Grand Sport in AS by 6 seconds on a 54 second course (my times at least).

For reference I'm in a C5Z with intake, axle back, short throw and Forgestar F14s w/ 305 and 275s. Only other major mod I want to do is headers and a tune... And then things like bushings and other handling upgrades.

What tire compound are you running? that could be your biggest mod right there. Headers/tune the power really wont come into play (cant believe i just said that). Shocks/brakes and lower it down a little on the stock bolts and you will see your times fall. Cam-S is alot of fun I won my last event for the Mohud scca region last month (only car that entered lol)
Old 06-20-2016, 01:21 PM
Acid666
Racer

Originally Posted by 01badvette
What tire compound are you running? that could be your biggest mod right there. Headers/tune the power really wont come into play (cant believe i just said that). Shocks/brakes and lower it down a little on the stock bolts and you will see your times fall. Cam-S is alot of fun I won my last event for the Mohud scca region last month (only car that entered lol)

I got the Z with Hankook Ventus V12s on it, which might not be the best. That's why I need to dig into whether or not I should find stock rims and run an aggressive street or race tire, or if the class allows me to run any tire/wheel combo I want. I'm pretty much already set on getting a 2nd set of rims for racing, so I can go either route. Also I totally understand how headers and more power aren't gonna do much at this point, I'm just thinking ahead of the mods I personally want for more power and then figure which class I can run those in and kind of build around that. The car's a weekend cruiser first, so I don't plan to make it unstreetable by any means.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:30 PM
01badvette
Racer

You have to run a DOT/street tire with a wear rating of 200 or better, there is a bunch of threads out there and comparisons of tires. I use the stock speedline wheels with Bridgestone RE71R which works great alot of grip. They are not the best setup going but I can drive to events on them and put the wheel/tire package together for much cheaper then a wider tire setup. CAM-S engine mods are pretty much unlimited the only real limiting factor for the class is the 200 DOT tires. I daily drive my car a few times a week comfortably and still compete with the top 5 guys in my region. I built my car the way i wanted it for street and living with and then curtailed the setup a little after to be competitive for Auto X. Even if you keep it the way it is just go out there and have fun with it thats what its all about.
The following 2 users liked this post by 01badvette:
Acid666 (06-20-2016), BrianCunningham (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 01:36 PM
Acid666
Racer

Yeah that sounds exactly like what I'm going for. Events for me are either 1 hour west, or 2 hours east in the New Orleans area. So if I can drive there on the tires it would help a lot. I got the car with the intent of occasional road racing and AutoX and something to get some spirited driving in here and there.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:32 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Originally Posted by Acid666
Yeah that sounds exactly like what I'm going for. Events for me are either 1 hour west, or 2 hours east in the New Orleans area. So if I can drive there on the tires it would help a lot. I got the car with the intent of occasional road racing and AutoX and something to get some spirited driving in here and there.
CAM needs you and you need CAM. It is the class to be in and where the kool cars and drivers hang out. There are no major mod rules, just a couple of silly minor rules.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nokones:
Acid666 (06-21-2016), BrianCunningham (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 08:34 PM
01badvette
Racer

CAM needs you and you need CAM. It is the class to be in and where the kool cars and drivers hang out. There are no major mod rules, just a couple of silly minor rules.
The following users liked this post:
Acid666 (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 08:02 AM
eric1855
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Slowly building my car for CAM-S.

It started life as a AS car, but this year the damned seat kept breaking and after multiple fixes and it breaking again I said F it, put in a Kirkey and off to CAM I go.

Right now it is a built AS car, but now has a seat, steering wheel, and square 315s which was enough for the car, with my codriver at the wheel, to win CAM at the Toledo Pro. I am registered for the Wilmington Tour and Pro, CAM East at Peru, and Nationals right now. I'll probably also do the Blytheville Pro.

The next plans are to add a spoiler, then this winter add a little more power and work the suspension a bit. I want to build the car as a SSP car on street tires so at least when the SCCA yanks the rug out on us in CAM it'll have a competitive place to land.

Last edited by eric1855; 06-21-2016 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:28 AM
klodkrawler05
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by eric1855
Slowly building my car for CAM-S.

It started life as a AS car, but this year the damned seat kept breaking and after multiple fixes and it breaking again I said F it, put in a Kirkey and off to CAM I go.

Right now it is a built AS car, but now has a seat, steering wheel, and square 315s which was enough for the car, with my codriver at the wheel, to win CAM at the Toledo Pro. I am registered for the Wilmington Tour and Pro, CAM East at Peru, and Nationals right now. I'll probably also do the Blytheville Pro.

The next plans are to add a spoiler, then this winter add a little more power and work the suspension a bit. I want to build the car as a SSP car on street tires so at least when the SCCA yanks the rug out on us in CAM it'll have a competitive place to land.
Awesome to see some local ish CAM cars! I signed up for the Toledo pro but we discovered 2 weeks before that my engine needed a rebuild, got it back, got it in the car and at gingerman last weekend lost oil pressure again, now I need another engine and am out of money.

Pretty bummed I am signed up for CAM at the Wilmington tour but I'm doubtful of my car being done in time.

Last edited by klodkrawler05; 06-21-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:34 AM
eric1855
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by klodkrawler05
Awesome to see some local ish CAM cars! I signed up for the Toledo pro but we discovered 2 weeks before that my engine needed a rebuild, got it back, got it in the car and at gingerman last weekend lost oil pressure again, now I need another engine and am out of money.

Pretty bummed I am signed up for CAM at the Wilmington tour but I'm doubtful of my car being done in time.
Dang, was hoping you could make it. Only 5 registered right now and if you can't make it I'm assuming Ryan will jump to CAMC leaving us with 3. Maybe more will come in late.

We have a pretty large CAM-C and CAM-S contingent here in Louisville (another reason I switched classes, is there 5-10 CAM S cars every event locally vs running by myself in AS), but I can't get any of them to go to the National events.

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA CAM S What are you running?

Old 06-21-2016, 10:44 AM
klodkrawler05
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Yea that's the bummer, when my car is down both Ryan and I lose CAM-S seats and the class drops by 2.

Sure hope to be back out by the cam challenge though!
Old 06-21-2016, 11:45 AM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I want to build the car as a SSP car on street tires so at least when the SCCA yanks the rug out on us in CAM it'll have a competitive place to land.

When they do ill be screwed again. XP on 200tw here i come

Last edited by 383; 06-21-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:49 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

I want to build the car as a SSP car on street tires so at least when the SCCA yanks the rug out on us in CAM it'll have a competitive place to land.
In which way are you anticipating the rug will be pulled out? Ruling Corvettes back out of CAM-S, or something else? Just wondering.

Quick Reply: SCCA CAM S What are you running?