Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dedicated track car question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 08:14 PM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by cre8fun
interesting - maybe we're thinking of different cars. most busch cars I've seen have cage structure and the exhaust where the passenger would go. I looked at an ASA car recently that had been converted for a passenger, but that was heavy surgery. fabricator said that he'd done it 3 times and had hoped to not ever do it again. I thought you were talking about a road racing version of a tube frame stock car. I don't think he can get by with one of those at this point in time. also, unless he's already advanced significantly in run groups, some organizations won't let a student run full slicks and want noise level down so the instructor can converse with the driver. can't really do that in most tube frame cars.
Busch ,nascar style cars exhaust is under the car not in the passenger compartment. When I got my scca license there was no instructor for ride along. it was a 1 day school then a race weekend.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:23 AM
cre8fun
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had street cars at the track and I've had a Trans Am car. It really all depends on where he is in his learning curve and what he wants to do.

I agree 1000% - from the standpoint of cost of spares, cost to keep the car running, overall performance, overall safety, etc. A purpose built race car is the right long term choice and I really don't understand why I don't see more of them at the track. (although many are not willing to put up with the excessive heat and noise, but they are the right tool for the job by far).

But if the guy is early in his learning curve (which was my assumption when he said "looking to get into HPDE/road racing"), if he's got less than 20 days of HPDE, to me he'd be better in a street car for a few years. He should start out on street tires as they will teach him more about controlling the contact patch because they talk more before they give way. Street cars are generally more quiet, so he can have meaningful conversations with instructors as he builds his seat time and his skill.

it really depends where he is and what he's looking to do. If he's already running advanced HPDE groups and is ready to transition into door to door, race car is the right choice.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:56 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

I've had street cars at the track and I've had a Trans Am car. It really all depends on where he is in his learning curve and what he wants to do.

I agree 1000% - from the standpoint of cost of spares, cost to keep the car running, overall performance, overall safety, etc. A purpose built race car is the right long term choice and I really don't understand why I don't see more of them at the track. (although many are not willing to put up with the excessive heat and noise, but they are the right tool for the job by far).

But if the guy is early in his learning curve (which was my assumption when he said "looking to get into HPDE/road racing"), if he's got less than 20 days of HPDE, to me he'd be better in a street car for a few years. He should start out on street tires as they will teach him more about controlling the contact patch because they talk more before they give way. Street cars are generally more quiet, so he can have meaningful conversations with instructors as he builds his seat time and his skill.

it really depends where he is and what he's looking to do. If he's already running advanced HPDE groups and is ready to transition into door to door, race car is the right choice.
110% agree.

if you got the bug it's best to spend the money and buy a dedicated race car. it's hard splitting with the money, but it's best for the wallet.

and i'm going to throw this out there becasue i'm a fan boy how about the NP01? cost less than a new grand sport. brakes cost less than 150 bucks. motor is out of a mx-5 so spare engines are everywhere and cheap. they say down force is like going black... you never go back :P

Last edited by johnny c; 05-05-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:44 PM
cre8fun
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting idea. Let's say this guy wants the purpose built racer but still wants to have a second seat for continuing instruction etc. what are his options.

I know there are a couple ASA stock car conversions. I did not know you could put a seat in a Busch car. What else could he do?
Old 05-09-2016, 02:19 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Pinnacle Autosports in Decatur, TX (located at ECR), has a 2-seater ASA/GTA car for sale. It is very nice/clean. Pricing is ~$26K from what I recall.
The following users liked this post:
Johnny C @ OG (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 11:31 AM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

Most Radicals have 2 seats and belts, plus they are cheap right now.

Interesting idea. Let's say this guy wants the purpose built racer but still wants to have a second seat for continuing instruction etc. what are his options.

I know there are a couple ASA stock car conversions. I did not know you could put a seat in a Busch car. What else could he do?
Old 05-11-2016, 10:07 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

I'v seen that when ever there is a single seat car, they will assign a coach to Lead/Follow, with the use of Radios, or Bluetooth (Sena) system. This system seem to keep the coach safe in case the student goes nuts, and gets the driver up to speed (aka a feel for there car) quickly.

Mark.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:05 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by wenger828
Vette noob here... I own an auto repair shop and want to get into HPDE/road racing. Have the opportunity to purchase a 97 C5 for a decent price, already has racing seats, harness bar, LG GT2 coil overs. It's a "track beater", exterior isn't in that great but no structural issues.

I want to know, is this a good base car to get into the sport with? I have to stop taking my daily driver ('12 GT500) to the track! Are the FRC's more desirable for road racing? Should I skip this and look for a z06?

Just want some input before I pull the trigger! Thanks!
Find one with a cage.

If you can afford a dedicated car - you can afford a dedicated car with a cage.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:08 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
Pinnacle Autosports in Decatur, TX (located at ECR), has a 2-seater ASA/GTA car for sale. It is very nice/clean. Pricing is ~$26K from what I recall.
Here is a recent pic of the car:

Quick Reply: Dedicated track car question