Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need street/HPDE pads that i can drive with daily

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 01:41 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Default need street/HPDE pads that i can drive with daily

what is the all around street/HPDE brake pads for OEM C6Z06 calipers?

i run hawk Hps on the street and Raybestos ST43 for HPDEs

i dont run this car hard during HPDEs ( not like my other Vettes ), mostly for fun and car control, correct lines etc... this is my daily driver

i am getting tired of changing pads after track days, and need a pad that i can drive with on the street and during HPDEs

i know i will not get the same braking, but i am willing to sacrifice

i tried HAWK HPs on the track and got major brake fade after 2-3 laps ( i expected it )

Need pads that dont SQUEEK or sound like a freight train on the street ( little noise is OK )
Old 07-21-2016, 04:02 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by MUKAK

i dont run this car hard during HPDEs ( not like my other Vettes ), mostly for fun and car control, correct lines etc... this is my daily driver

i am getting tired of changing pads after track days, and need a pad that i can drive with on the street and during HPDEs

i tried HAWK HPs on the track and got major brake fade after 2-3 laps ( i expected it )

Need pads that dont SQUEEK or sound like a freight train on the street ( little noise is OK )
I replied to your other thread.

I would run the Carbotech XP8 very capable track pad. Yes you may have some noise on the street but with the pre bed option it seems to care some of the noise. What you are asking for is a quiet track pad that can be driven on the street NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. The XP8 is still rotor friendly and the dust is not that bad but they will make noise time to time. Carbotech compounds are 100% non corrosive dust unlike Hawk if you get stuck in the rain the Carbotech dust will not turn to cement on your rotors or harm your paint. If interested I will be happy to help you, let me know

Carbotech™ XP8™

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1250°F+ (93°C to 676°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.

PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 07-21-2016, 04:03 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Good luck with that.

Physics don't change, and friction material science is slow to advance.

1/2" Milwaukee impact and a quality swivel socket is your friend.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:40 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I run Raybestos ST43 on my c6z both on track and on the street. I only occasionally drive on the street for fun, mostly to the track and shop, so squeaking/squealing is something I just live with.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:42 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pfc z
Old 07-21-2016, 09:58 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

I ran StopTech Street pads on my C6GS and liked them a lot, they worked very well as a dual purpose pad.

Then again, so did the stock Ferodo pads. The StopTechs were cheaper and more readily available though.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:49 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I run the Ferodo DS2500 as street pads and have used them as backup track pads. They seem to be a good compromise, particularly if you're not the last of the late brakers. I don't know if they have some that will fit the C6Z stock calipers though - give Essex a call.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:45 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

and from my research running one piece pads vs padlets makes a huge diff in squeeking sound ( i guess due to more things moving around inside calipers )

i tried raybestos ST43 pads on the street and it almost made me sell my Z ... never do that again lol

if anyone has pads they would like to sell me to try on the street with at least 50% pad life remaining please hit me up b4 i spend buncha $$ on a pads that make to much noise on the streets
The following users liked this post:
Kurt Semon (07-28-2019)
Old 07-23-2016, 11:12 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by MUKAK

I recommend the Stoptech Street Performance pads for both street and light track (HPDE). They are good for 1300 degrees F, and they are cheap.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:01 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

You're trying to get one pad to do a lot. Race pads and street pads are different animals.

"The original brake pads that came with your production car operated best in the 100° to 650° range. Race pads operate best in the 600° to 1500° range. Race pads are just getting effective at roughly the same point where the OEM pads are becoming useless."

If you're not pushing too hard on the track street pads will work just fine. I used them for years. If you want to go a little faster then you're going to have to step up to track pads.

I would buy one of the little infrared scan guns and see just how hot your brakes are actually getting. Just keep in mind that rotors cool down very quickly.

I use temperature paint on my rotors. You can find it on Amazon.

Richard Newton
Brake Pad Selection
Old 07-23-2016, 02:45 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Link to the temp pain on Amazon? All I keep finding are high temp paints to bling out your caliper.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:14 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Link to the temp pain on Amazon? All I keep finding are high temp paints to bling out your caliper.
http://www.raceshopper.com/temperature_paint.shtml
The following users liked this post:
rfn026 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 06:49 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

As your seat time and experience go up you will want track pads, separate rotors and maybe even new calipers too. Might as well start with stock pads and then make the jump to race pads when you are ready because there are compromises both on the street and track trying to find middle ground. Like an all-season tire, they work good enough for regular wet/dry usage but they don't excel in performance in wet or dry because of the all-season compromise.
With Motul and stock pads on track, you will get brake fade at some point (track dependent) but they will come back after cooling off a bit without having to pit if you are mindful about it. Still plenty of fun to be had.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:12 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I've never had brake fade at the track. I've never used Motul either.

Two small items here. Always drive the car around the pits a little bit when you come off the track. That helps the brakes cool down. I've seen people boil fluid when they came off the track and just parked the car. It was caused by heat soak.

Next. Alway flush you brake system with new fluid before you go to the track. You want all new fluid in your system for the track. It's not that expensive, and it will save you a lot of trouble.

Richard Newton
How Hot Do My Brakes Get?

Last edited by rfn026; 07-24-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:17 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rfn026
I've never had brake fade at the track. I've never used Motul either.

Two small items here. Always drive the car around the pits a little bit when you come off the track. That helps the brakes cool down. I've seen people boil fluid when they came off the track and just parked the car. It was caused by heat soak.

Next. Alway flush you brake system with new fluid before you go to the track. You want all new fluid in your system for the track. It's not that expensive, and it will save you a lot of trouble.

Richard Newton
How Hot Do My Brakes Get?
What he said
Old 07-25-2016, 04:33 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I think a lot of this is going to depend on you as a driver and also what you are willing to put up with.

Say someone that goes to the track 1 or 2 times a year just for fun and is a decent driver can probably manage around ok and not have any issues. Put an experienced driver (instructor level) in the car and they are probably going to want/need a better pad on the car.

That being said for those doing both street and track and more focused on street use these two work pretty good.

The Ferodo DS2500 is the same compound found on the C6Z OEM pads and they work ok both street and track for a lot of guys. They can make noise and they do dust a lot.

StopTech 309 series pads work pretty darn good for double duty. Again they are going to dust a bit and can make noise.

Personally I'm still a fan of picking the pad for the job...there are good street pads that don't make a lot of fuss daily driving, and there are incredible track pads out there that I just wouldn't want to daily drive on.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:44 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Personally I'm still a fan of picking the pad for the job...there are good street pads that don't make a lot of fuss daily driving, and there are incredible track pads out there that I just wouldn't want to daily drive on.
I am going to repeat what Anthony said in a little bit harsher manner...

Get track pads and change them. Is it really that hard? I think with stock C5 calipers it took me about 20 minutes to change pads. Impact, 3/4 socket, a 15 mm socket, and a wrench. Probably a C-clamp or a pry bar if the pads are not similar thickness. You don't have 20 minutes to spare before barreling into a corner at 100+ mph? I really can't believe that.

You'll be happier, you'll be safer, and you'll have more fun because you're not worried about fade, backing off to prevent fade, or driving home with a smashed car because you overheated street pads.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:58 AM
Kurt Semon
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
I am going to repeat what Anthony said in a little bit harsher manner...

Get track pads and change them. Is it really that hard? I think with stock C5 calipers it took me about 20 minutes to change pads. Impact, 3/4 socket, a 15 mm socket, and a wrench. Probably a C-clamp or a pry bar if the pads are not similar thickness. You don't have 20 minutes to spare before barreling into a corner at 100+ mph? I really can't believe that.

You'll be happier, you'll be safer, and you'll have more fun because you're not worried about fade, backing off to prevent fade, or driving home with a smashed car because you overheated street pads.
Do you prefer the single piece pad or the individual pads?

Get notified of new replies

To need street/HPDE pads that i can drive with daily

Quick Reply: need street/HPDE pads that i can drive with daily