Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bullet proofing the C6Z oiling system?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 04:08 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts
Default bullet proofing the C6Z oiling system?

well maybe more like rubber bullet proofing

(for 08 z06)
for use with 200tw on a high speed CCW track.

starting to research this and looking for advice and experiences.

ARE setups seem to be the gold standard. but the cost and requirement of coilovers have these off my list for now.
I also want to keep AC.

heres the parts list ive put together on my own
-Aviad Pan baffle/traps, and tank insert
http://aviaid.com/shopsite_sc/store/...s-z06-ls7.html

-Katech high capasity/high pressure red oil pump
http://store.katechengines.com/high-...pump-p261.aspx

-Lingenfelter 9qt tank
http://www.lingenfelter.com/product/...l#.V_Ks2sn7d0Q

thoughts on this? things to change? other options? are all these needed? do i need to add anything else?

is there any concern about sucking the pan dry with the katech pump? thoughts on red vs blue pump?

any advice would be appreciated!
-Cory
Old 10-03-2016, 07:39 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

I have the aviad pan insert, aviad oil tank insert, and katech blue pump. If I had to do it over I would go with the red pump, it has a little higher pressure. I have like 50 pounds of pressure at idle and 60-70 at 6500 with the temps at 248. With 0w 40 M1.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:14 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Save some money and just have stock pump ported
everything else looks good on your list
Old 10-04-2016, 07:20 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

ARE makes a pan for stock leaf spring cars.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:46 AM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Whis9
who does this? does it increase pressure too? or just volume?

is the increased volume tank needed with the baffle?

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 10-04-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:06 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by c5racr1
I have the aviad pan insert, aviad oil tank insert, and katech blue pump. If I had to do it over I would go with the red pump, it has a little higher pressure. I have like 50 pounds of pressure at idle and 60-70 at 6500 with the temps at 248. With 0w 40 M1.
Curious to know how well the Aviaid baffles work for you! Building an LS7 now, that will see occasional track duty. The car already had the tank baffle, adding the pan baffle and ported stock pump.
Just to make sure... the Aviaid insert replaces the stock oil deflector? or is used in conjunction with the oil deflector?
Thanks!
Old 10-04-2016, 12:40 PM
93ASP
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bulletproofing the oil system and keeping the AC are probably mutually exclusive... on my 08 I gave up the AC to run a Dailey system with ARE tank and spintric.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:43 PM
smellya
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Whis9
I have a ARe stage 2 and a Synergy Motorsports ported oil pump. Never have oiling issues. I had the katech red pump on last motor and this one has a lot better pressures.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:14 PM
_BlueZ06_
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Oil System

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Curious to know how well the Aviaid baffles work for you! Building an LS7 now, that will see occasional track duty. The car already had the tank baffle, adding the pan baffle and ported stock pump.
Just to make sure... the Aviaid insert replaces the stock oil deflector? or is used in conjunction with the oil deflector?
Thanks!
Not exactly sure what you are you talking about. The engine windage tray for the oil pan? The OEM windage tray stays installed without interference with the new pan baffle.

I just finished putting the expanded tank and sump and pan baffle in my car. Only have 1 track day on it so far, but it was more of a test. Stock oil pump on mine.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:46 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

Call avaid, they told me to remove the factory windage tray when I installed the pan baffle. I think it is in the instructions too.
The following users liked this post:
Nowanker (10-21-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 06:18 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Call avaid, they told me to remove the factory windage tray when I installed the pan baffle. I think it is in the instructions too.

You are correct

Step 2 Remove OEM pickup and windage
tray. The pickup will be reused;
discard the tray. (photo A)
Old 10-17-2016, 09:48 AM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the full Aviaid system, including the auxiliary scavenge pump. I also have the Katech hi scavenge pump (blue).
I've wondered about excessive scavenge capacity...if that's even possible.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:07 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Bullet proof it, that would be a Daily system but you can not keep the A/C with their kits. Seriously though, the top of the line in dry sump kits.

There are a lot of different options out there and the ARE stuff has worked very well and they give you a lot of options when it comes to their offerings which we have used for well over a decade now.

If you have an early car (2006-2008) the single biggest issue is the tank itself. The car can drain the tank and keep all of the oil inside the engine causing issues keeping the mains happy so the tank should be looked at first in my opinion. ARE offers a drop in tank in a number of styles that offers not only a little more capacity but also better oil control which a lot of people do not think about. A real dry sump tank will have a "shredder" built into the center that keeps the oil from foaming inside the tank and also allows the oil that is misted inside to form and drain back down to the bottom so there is more liquid oil to be supplied to the pump.

The stock pan is another area too, again ARE makes a few different pan options to allow better oil control at the engine side and make sure oil is there for the pump to pick up and be sent back to the tank. Also when doing the pan you have to use a remote filter, which also offers some benefits in that you can run a bigger filter on the car and plumb in extra coolers if needed.

This is a 3 stage Daily setup using a ARE stage III tank for anyone interested in one of these. Billet pan, and the pump is mounted directly to the pan so there are no external lines to screw with. Also has a built in oil pressure adjustable regulator on the pump itself.

Here you can see what is most commonly referred to as a stage II ARE kit with the pan and new tank (prototype used in this picture, this was the first kit done for the LS7). You can also see the oil shredder located inside the tank too.

You can also add the external suction pump to the ARE kits to help pull oil and oil vapor from the engine and supply back to the tank from what doesn't drain back by gravity as the stock pump on the LS7 differs from a race dry sump in that it can not pull a vacuum on the crankcase.

let me know if you have any questions, more than happy to help pick a setup for you.
The following users liked this post:
C5ZEE06 (10-17-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 06:43 AM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

i just picked up an 09 so ive got the tank size covered i guess.

thats a little further than id like to go Anthony. maybe upgrade oil system would be better. im looking for more of a bolt in application. with ac, stock oil filter (well i would give on this one)

is this pan a direct bolt in? stock replacement? lines/hook ups and all? ie nothing changes/moded but the pan itself? and if so then what are its advantages?
http://www.drysump.com/~drysump/ls7.htm

also what are your thoughts on Katech red, vs blue, vs stock ported pumps?
im primarily looking for more pressure.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:23 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

...called Aviaid, they told me the same thing.
Reason for the question:Their photos show a longer version of the baffle assy, extending forward to the 2nd main cap.
New versions only reach the center main... puzzled why they wouldn't utilize some type of windage tray for the first 4 cyls.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:36 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
i just picked up an 09 so ive got the tank size covered i guess.

thats a little further than id like to go Anthony. maybe upgrade oil system would be better. im looking for more of a bolt in application. with ac, stock oil filter (well i would give on this one)

is this pan a direct bolt in? stock replacement? lines/hook ups and all? ie nothing changes/moded but the pan itself? and if so then what are its advantages?

also what are your thoughts on Katech red, vs blue, vs stock ported pumps?
im primarily looking for more pressure.

Pan is a bolt in item, one key item to note with either the daily or the ARE pan you do not have a drain plug anymore. On race cars you drain the tank, not the engine so with the aftermarket tanks they have a drain built into them, or you pull the lines off and drain it there between the pan and tank.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:18 PM
KENS80V
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Improved Racing is selling a newer version for the LS7 that includes a built in oil scraper. Also it doesn't bolt into the bottom of the the oil pan like our original versions. It is one assembly that attaches to the windage tray mounts. They have different versions for LS2/3 and LS1/LS6 batwing wet sump motors as well. I don't see anything new listed for the LS3 dry sump or LS9 engines though. The only original dry sump engines that get this new style is the LS7.

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-pa...kit-p-493.html

In talking with Jason from Katech a couple of years ago about the blue and red pumps he mentioned that the blue pump is fine for engines with stock type of bearing clearances. The red pump is preferred if using the oil squirters or having loose bearing clearances for race motors.

I have two of the original style oil pan baffles installed on my engines (LS9 and LS3 427 dry sump engines). They did require removing of the factory windage trays.

Last edited by KENS80V; 10-22-2016 at 12:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To bullet proofing the C6Z oiling system?

Old 10-22-2016, 01:53 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS

The pan itself is a direct bolt on. However you will need to make up new hoses for the tank and oil cooler and filter. For cars with stock springs, Ii mount the oil filter where the washer bottle goes. For coil over cars, I use Katech's filter mount. I also add a 75 micron filter between engine oil out and tank in. I would also go with ARE's tank and Katech's lower mounting bracket.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:29 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by KENS80V
Improved Racing is selling a newer version for the LS7 that includes a built in oil scraper. Also it doesn't bolt into the bottom of the the oil pan like our original versions. It is one assembly that attaches to the windage tray mounts. They have different versions for LS2/3 and LS1/LS6 batwing wet sump motors as well. I don't see anything new listed for the LS3 dry sump or LS9 engines though. The only original dry sump engines that get this new style is the LS7.

[url]http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-pan-baffles/ls2-ls3-

I have two of the original style oil pan baffles installed on my engines (LS9 and LS3 427 dry sump engines). They did require removing of the factory windage trays.
The Improved Racing piece is pretty nice looking... I would have gone that way, except I already had the Aviaid item installed in the pan. Also requires the ARP main studs...

The rear of the factory tray interfered with the baffle (at lest on my engine...) so I wound up trimming it to clear, but still use the F section.

Doing it over, I'd just use the I.R. one!
Old 10-22-2016, 04:51 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Guys, can I install the Improved Racing windage tray in my LS3 wet sump w/ pulling the motor? I wrench, but not to that extent.

Please advise.

Sorry for the hijack, but I've been asking around and no one seems to know.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 10-22-2016 at 04:51 PM.

Quick Reply: bullet proofing the C6Z oiling system?