Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rosberg retires from F1?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 11:20 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Default Rosberg retires from F1?!?!?

If I hadn't found it on several different websites, I'd have thought it come from the sporting section of the Onion:

http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/18...nt-formula-one

Just wow.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:02 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Hi Mike. I have NO info one way or other................but, I would think it unlikely for Nico to retire at this point in his career?
Old 12-02-2016, 01:01 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Autoweek online

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-...awbreakingnews

Last edited by froggy47; 12-02-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:16 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
If I hadn't found it on several different websites, I'd have thought it come from the sporting section of the Onion:

http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/18...nt-formula-one

Just wow.
Looks to be very real. He was live in an FIA press conference I just watched part of for a few minutes.

So many would give everything they have just for the shot he's had and has and he's just giving it away. I would not do that if I were him. Couldn't do it actually.

It seems like he doesn't deal with pressure well and he speaks to the fact that he's had 25 years of racing as if it's a long time and that it's time for him to try something else.

I didn't have time to watch it all. I am a working stiff that busts his *** just to play in this sport at the very fringe. I will never understand someone quitting this sport when they are paid to participate in it.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:20 PM
3on8
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While he wasn't my favorite driver, and I'll admit I didn't think he'd win it this year mid-season, I am starting to admire him more than his now-former teammate.
Kudos to him for accomplishing what he work hard for, and then moving on to bigger priorities.
Family vs. Bieber - good on you, Nico! From a prior non-fan who cheered against you, you have earned my respect and admiration.
May MB fill your seat in 2017 with Kvyat.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:31 PM
YYZ06
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 3on8
May MB fill your seat in 2017 with Kvyat.
Bite your tongue. Verstappen if they want a young gun. I'm still in awe of his drive in the rain in Brazil.

Nico was never my favorite driver but nobody could doubt his talent. I'd bet I'll bet show back up in some form of racing in the future. Best of luck Nico!
Old 12-02-2016, 02:53 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by YYZ06
Bite your tongue. Verstappen if they want a young gun. I'm still in awe of his drive in the rain in Brazil.
Not a chance RB is going to let go of MV.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:01 PM
3on8
Advanced

I agree about Red Bull and MV. My point was Nico Rosberg was the perfect teammate/pin cushion for Hamilton; it'd be interesting to see how he responds to a teammate who wouldn't care if he hit him or not, a la Kvyat style.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:30 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Assuming the rumor is true... Can't say I blame him. He had a season that was probably more stressful than any of us can imagine. He did what he wanted to do, he achieved his goal of becoming a world champion. He beat Hamilton, but maybe suspects that Hamilton is truly faster and will massacre him next year.
Or sometimes, you just reach a point where you say "that was good, but I'm just not that interested in it any more." And it's time to move on.
Not my favorite driver, but best of luck, Nico.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:31 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
Looks to be very real. He was live in an FIA press conference I just watched part of for a few minutes.

So many would give everything they have just for the shot he's had and has and he's just giving it away. I would not do that if I were him. Couldn't do it actually.

It seems like he doesn't deal with pressure well and he speaks to the fact that he's had 25 years of racing as if it's a long time and that it's time for him to try something else.

I didn't have time to watch it all. I am a working stiff that busts his *** just to play in this sport at the very fringe. I will never understand someone quitting this sport when they are paid to participate in it.
Nonsense.

Rosberg made his childhood dream come true. He handled the pressure better than any one else. He is world champion F1 driver.

Its like you either didn't read the article or you are spitting in his face by disrespecting him like this. I'm no fanboy, but clearly that man deserves WAY more credit.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:39 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I'm willing to bet that his decision blindsided Dieter Zieke(sp) and the entire MB board! I don't think that Mercedes has an alternate driver lined up at this point.....................(but LOTS of hopefuls)
Old 12-02-2016, 04:37 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Apparently caught Toto Wolff by surprise:
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/me...rement-856133/

More:
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ro...on-856179/?s=1
Old 12-02-2016, 04:41 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
Nonsense.

Rosberg made his childhood dream come true. He handled the pressure better than any one else. He is world champion F1 driver.

Its like you either didn't read the article or you are spitting in his face by disrespecting him like this. I'm no fanboy, but clearly that man deserves WAY more credit.

Ok so he isn't quitting while holding a position that Racing Drivers all over the world desire? Is that the part that is nonsense to you?

Or the fact that I will never understand someone quitting the sport while they are being paid to be involved especially as a driver. I get it it's only 15 million in compensation. Peanuts. lol!!
Old 12-02-2016, 04:50 PM
3on8
Advanced

I withdraw my sentiment above - unless your family was going to be harmed, only a candy-*** tells his boss he won't be back to work by phone.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:45 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I saw that this morning and about fell over. Odd someone having that good of a run with a very strong team would do it. I could only think that he was tired of fighting with Lewis and that mess. If that was his goal and what he wanted to do....he did a good job of bowing out while on top.

Part of me would like to see Alonso take it, just because of what he has been going through and the guy is a great driver. Seb and Kimi seem to make a good team at Ferrari together, just need to get the team moving forward.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:14 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I'm willing to bet that his decision blindsided Dieter Zieke(sp) and the entire MB board! I don't think that Mercedes has an alternate driver lined up at this point.....................(but LOTS of hopefuls)
It sounds like Rosberg gave MB a big FU . They probably treated him like dirt and he gave it right back to them with a blindside.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:05 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

As shocking as his announcement is, there's no way we'll ever figure out what his real motives are. IMO, I think:

1. He couldn't talk to Wolff about it because he knows he's blindsiding the team, and as emotional as retiring/quitting is, that additional guilty feeling was too much to handle.
2. I don't think he's wanting to stick Merc in the eye, they DID give him the car to win the WDC. If he'd wanted to do that he would have gone to another team.
3. I think he's a REALLY goal-oriented person. Once he'd won the WDC the price of F1 was more than he wanted to pay.

Let's be honest. We all want to get to the position of financially not *having* to work, but only doing what we want to do. Rosberg's got that, in spades. So, now that he's checked off the WDC box, he can go race in series that he enjoys, whichever that is.

I also think this is going to tarnish his reputation as a driver who will drive for you only as long as he wants. He broke his contract (most likely within the language of the contract, but broke it still), has left his team with a gaping hole to fill, and didn't have the fortitude to tell his boss straight-up.

So, does anyone have Jenson Button's number???

Have a good one,
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Rosberg retires from F1?!?!?

Old 12-03-2016, 01:03 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
As shocking as his announcement is, there's no way we'll ever figure out what his real motives are. IMO, I think:

1. He couldn't talk to Wolff about it because he knows he's blindsiding the team, and as emotional as retiring/quitting is, that additional guilty feeling was too much to handle.
Or maybe it was something he had to do "right then" and Wolff didn't happen to be sharing the room with him at the time.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ro...on-856179/?s=1

3. I think he's a REALLY goal-oriented person. Once he'd won the WDC the price of F1 was more than he wanted to pay.
Precisely. He has said so in so many words.

I also think this is going to tarnish his reputation as a driver who will drive for you only as long as he wants.
No team wants an unmotivated driver. That's why Merc won't make an issue of it. See Alonso leaving Ferrari *and* McLaren. Both let him go despite contracts that could keep him.

...and didn't have the fortitude to tell his boss straight-up.
This is the key take-away here? Psychoanalysis from afar with zero knowledge of the people or their relationships?

So, does anyone have Jenson Button's number???
As much as I hate to say it, Hamilton would eat Button alive. Merc needs to get Alonso into that car. (My wife says she'd love to be a fly on the wall if Wolff & Lauda jokingly told Hamilton that they'd managed to get Verstappen to fill Nico's seat )

Bernie needs to make sure that 2017 isn't a "Hamilton sails off into the distance at *every race* year" ensuring that the world-wide audience (minus the Brits) does the same. Hopefully the new cars will mix things up a bit in that regard.

Here's a good read on this topic:
http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints...t-such-a-shock

Another:
http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...ico-last-laugh

An especially good read is David Coulthard on the thinking of F1 drivers, the commitment and sacrifices required, and the thinking behind deciding to quit (from personal experience):

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsp...or-formula-one

Z//
Old 12-03-2016, 05:23 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
This is the key take-away here?
The key takeaway? Far from it. The key takeaway is "who is Merc going to find to take the seat?"

Merc needs to get Alonso into that car.
Well, that would be my dream slot filler, but I think McLaren might shoot him before letting him go to Mercedes.

Bernie needs to make sure that 2017 isn't a "Hamilton sails off into the distance at *every race* year" ensuring that the world-wide audience (minus the Brits) does the same. Hopefully the new cars will mix things up a bit in that regard.
Absolutely. My dream is that <insert favorite team here> and Mercedes are going to be pretty evenly matched.

Thanks for the links. Interesting reading, even if I don't agree with some of it.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 12-03-2016, 07:08 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

"Lewis Hamilton made Nico Rosberg retire from Formula 1"..... maybee....Who knows what's in his head?

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/242...from-formula-1

Last edited by ZedO6; 12-03-2016 at 07:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Rosberg retires from F1?!?!?