Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE oil temps

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 06:21 AM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts
Default hot

Originally Posted by db2xpert
Reprogramming the fans only helps with normal driving speeds in traffic, not high speeds.
Check to be sure the radiator is sealed to the front so all air has to go thru it. Hood vents will help a bit, but not a huge difference.
What was your coolant temp?
I stopped watching the coolant temp to just focus on oil temp. But, the car just got urethane bushings and T1 bars, and that upped the performance substantially--much faster. Sealing around the radiator, etc is a good tip, have read that before but not done it yet.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:40 AM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by jwh172
I have actually watched this video a few times when I was doing my research on oil coolers.

At 275deg I do a lap in fourth gear, don't rev over 5,000 rpm and the temperature is usually back down to 250deg by the end of the lap. Since I am still new to HPDE I don't mind a slow lap that much since I can take it easy and think about my previous laps before I go back into try hard mode.

Am I being overly cautious with 275? When the Honda guy tells me that 275 is a scary oil temp, I got a little worried.

Your are on the right track; I had the same issues with my C5. I would back mine down at 290, (but then I was using Red Line Racing oil too)....I was told it would throw a code at 305 degrees. I got tired of only being able to run half the session before having to cool it down; I went with the Ron Davis internal oil cooler. It dropped the temps down about 30 degrees....well worth the $1100 I had to pay for the upgrade.

I was also looking at adding an external oil cooler in the front licence plate opening.....but traded the car off for a GTA spec race car instead. Good luck
Old 03-30-2017, 09:36 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
Not sure what constitutes a necessary cool down lap oil temps in a C5Z but in my C6, no way am I doing a cool down @ 275*F. The limp mode max in the C6 is 320*F. This is what GM sets to protect the engine so I suspect there are several additional degrees of a safety margin built in. Now I don't recommend running to 320*F but 290*F, at ~10% below GM's safety margin level, is fine. Been doing it for years. By all means add cooling but don't cut yourself short @ 275*F.
Don't mean to hijack but how often do you change your oil? After how many track days? Thank you.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:49 PM
jwh172
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyber Greg
Don't mean to hijack but how often do you change your oil? After how many track days? Thank you.
I change the oil after a weekend of tracking. It may be a little extreme to some, but I am usually doing something to the car between sessions so I just go ahead and change the oil while I have it off the ground. I keep a pretty large stock pile of Amsoil in the garage so I don't realize how much this actually costs me.

Come to think about it, if I actually calculated how much I have spent on track days and parts this year, I would probably sell the car and buy a prius.
The following users liked this post:
Cyber Greg (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 12:44 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
Not sure what constitutes a necessary cool down lap oil temps in a C5Z but in my C6, no way am I doing a cool down @ 275*F. The limp mode max in the C6 is 320*F. This is what GM sets to protect the engine so I suspect there are several additional degrees of a safety margin built in. Now I don't recommend running to 320*F but 290*F, at ~10% below GM's safety margin level, is fine. Been doing it for years. By all means add cooling but don't cut yourself short @ 275*F.
300F was always my cut off. Wouldn't take long to get there at WGI in the summer though.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:04 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

I am running an all aluminum Lingenfelter 427ci SBC with 646 HP and I am using a water/oil heat exchanger. I have never seen the water temp over 205 and the oil temp over 183 with the air temp over 100. On a normal 80-90 degree day it usually runs about 185-190 for the water temp and about 165-172 for the oil.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:05 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyber Greg
I do about 9 - 12 days per year. I start the season with a fresh change of Amsoil 10W-30. When the weather gets hot, say into the low 70s, I switch to Redline 10W-40 and run that through the rest of the year. This equates to a change approx. every 5th day. As the manual recommends, I also add 1qt before each track day and drain it thereafter if I know I am going to put a good amount of street miles on it before the next day. If I am only going to drive home then in a couple of weeks, drive back to the track, I'll leave it in.

Last edited by TKOGTO; 04-10-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:10 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
300F was always my cut off. Wouldn't take long to get there at WGI in the summer though.
My target as well but lately despite an EOC, a DeWitts and 2 trans coolers, one or the other gets close to my target max for them before the oil gets to 300*F. Got there last year @ WGI when it got sunny and the track heated up. Earlier that same day under cloudy skies, didn't come close.

Quick Reply: HPDE oil temps