Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 02:44 PM
TRBON8R
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Transmission?

I'm new to the board here and could use some info regarding roadracing a C5 with an automatic transmission. I'm looking to get a used C5 and am debating auto versus stick. I need to know how much an automatic transmission car gives up on the track compared to a 6 speed car in terms of performance and drivability? Keep in mind I don't have the time or money to afford to campaign a car every weekend in order to develop my shifting skills as much as I would like. I live in southern California and would probably only visit Willow Springs maybe half a dozen times a year max. For this reason I'm kind of leaning towards an automatic car since it would allow me to concentrate more on driving rather than worrying about what gear I'm in. What do you guys think? Thanks for the info.

Ben

Last edited by TRBON8R; 12-11-2004 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:58 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the stick, especially with a Corvette. I say this because you'll find yourself ending up in the wrong gear at the wrong time. I hate not having control over what gear your car is in. If the Corvette had an auto stick, I'd say maybe, but since it doesn't, I don't think the auto makes a very good track car.

Plus.. I've seen guys at the tracks with autos and they tend to overheat very easily. Actually, I've seen a couple of guys waste their autos at the track. One guy had to leave early because his transmission was slipping. I think that he ended up having to replace it.

Also, this is just my opinion, but half of the fun is shifting and downshifting (heel and toe).

Six times a year is a good amount of track time for someone that isn't serious about it. I didn't even get out six times this year.

X
Old 12-13-2004, 02:43 AM
jam999999
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Here's my story. I have an automatic and sometimes I wonder if I should have gotten a manual, but then I drive to work on the 105 freeway with a one hour commute each way. I have taken my car to the drag strip many times without any problems with the tranny. I enjoy road racing much better though and since I have a convertible, the only place I can run at is Buttonwillow (with the top down). I am not that serious about how well I do in comparison to other drivers, I'm just out there have a sh*t load of fun with a great car. As the the tranny itself, I have gone through one rebuild and I actually purchased a stronger built tranny to replace the one I have. Since I am putting out almost 400 hp to the rear wheels, I needed a tranny that could withstand the motor output. I was going to wait until the current tranny let loose before rebuilding, but I found a good offer on a low mileage rebuilt tranny. Since I had a shift kit in the tranny, I simply shifted the tranny like a manual, so I never really felt as though I was in the wrong gear. I do wish it was at least a 5 speed, with 3 underdrive and one overdrive gears.

If you plan on leaving it in gear and just flying around the track to improve your driving skills, you hill have a blast with an automatic. I'm sure most people here on the forum will disagree with me, but I enjoy having an automatic.

I have also looked at getting the package at gearvendors.com , which gives you four extra gears by splitting the existing gear ratios. Its about 5k installed so I think I will pass on that, but its an option in giving you an 8-speed.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your Vette.

john
Old 12-13-2004, 08:36 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TRBON8R
Iwould probably only visit Willow Springs maybe half a dozen times a year max. For this reason I'm kind of leaning towards an automatic car since it would allow me to concentrate more on driving rather than worrying about what gear I'm in. What do you guys think? Thanks for the info.

Ben
Ben

1/2 dozen times a year to the track is a lot. Your time on the track will teach you quickly how to shift. In most cases tracks are only 2 maybe 3 gear shifts per lap. Yes there are some that are more.

Automatice still need tobe shifted on the track or they will 'automaticly' shift into the wrong gear at the wrong time and lurch with too much power. PPL that use autosmatics onthe track still shift. Mostly the downshift from 3rd to 2nd. this way we were in the proper gear BEFORE the corner and not having to dwonshift AFTER the corner to get back up to speed.

A week or so a go one of my students had a C6 with an auto in. No performance axle. We had to take almost all day the first day to figure out where the best shift points where to downshift the car. Once we got it figured out when to down shift from 3rd to 2nd with the auto, we could concintrate on driving.

So in short get the manual.

Good luck

Last edited by AU N EGL; 12-13-2004 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:22 PM
ecook
Racer

I have an A4 went to my first DE at Sebring. Had a tranny temp warning other than that no problems ,had a blast. I focused on brakeing, apex etc. Next time I would probable leave the car in 3rd instead of drive.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:55 PM
TRBON8R
7th Gear

Thanks for the info guys. This is a great board with a lot of information. Today I just sold a NICE 11 second show quality '87 Buick Grand National mostly due to wanting to complete a business deal that's in the works. Once things settle down at work in a few months I'm looking to possibly find my way in to a Vette. As much as I love the Buicks I like the idea of having something that handles and stops, still has parts available from the dealer, not to mention isn't 17 years old and in a constant state of either tuning or repair. Thanks again for the help.

Here is a pic of my dearly departed car with my friend's dad at the wheel.

Ben

Last edited by TRBON8R; 12-14-2004 at 12:09 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic Transmission?

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission?