C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anyone have a Kobalt Tool Box from Lowes

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Default Anyone have a Kobalt Tool Box from Lowes

I need to upsize my current toolbox without breaking the bank. Snap On, MAC or Craftsman Professional would be great but I would like to not drop 2-5K at this time.

Anyone have a Kobalt from Lowes and what do you think about it?

What boxes are other members using?

Just looking for ideas on a quality top/bottom box in the 40" wide or better range and not have to break the bank.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:03 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

The left side of my main bench is a 41" Craftsman ball-bearing service cart, with the casters left off (right side is a similar rollaway without casters); very well-made, will last longer than I will, and very reasonably priced compared to the Snap-On and Mac stuff.

Old 09-17-2006, 03:55 PM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have Craftsman boxes and they have served me well. But, when I left the field I had to bring all of my tools home and needed another box.

I looked at the Kobalts and I liked them, but I'm glad I kept looking. I went to home depot and looked at the Husky boxes and I thought it was twice the deal. The box was wider and taller for the same price. The one I got was $999 or there abouts.

Husky has come along way, as twenty years ago they were like harbor freight stuff. The new Craftsman seem considerably crappier now as well.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:05 PM
327Heaven
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The left side of my main bench is a 41" Craftsman ball-bearing service cart, with the casters left off (right side is a similar rollaway without casters); very well-made, will last longer than I will, and very reasonably priced compared to the Snap-On and Mac stuff.

I also have a Craftsman setup and it has given me many years of troublefree service. I do use drawer liners to keep things neat and tidy.

What I really want to say here is that whenever I see pictures of John Z's garage it really makes me wanna cry with envy. Heck, even my house isn't that well appointed

She's a beaut, John Z
Old 09-17-2006, 04:38 PM
valrico_stingray
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I have the Kobalt stainless steel stacked boxes, bought them from Lowes, on sale for about 500 for both, have had them for maybe 5 months. I went to Sears, NAPA, Home Depot, every place in Tampa that sells tool boxes. My test was I opened the drawers and wiggled side to side checking for slop. The stainless Kobalt box was hands down the tightest fit, even way better than the Craftsman pro series. You would have to spend several thousand per box for SnapOn or Matco etc. for a better feel. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...T06&lpage=none http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...P05&lpage=none
Old 09-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Rimcrew
Pro

Got mine from Costco. Stainless upper and lower, smooth/tight drawers, rubber mat liners, all for about $400!
Old 09-17-2006, 06:58 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got $6,000 in my Snap-On limited edition; tools and all.

Bought off a guy going to jail...........but that is another story.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:23 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

heres another idea. I work for lowes in Indy. One lunch day,I measured their bigest set, and made them from wood. Made it like a piece of fine furniture,but on wheels with pull handles,just like the Kobalt. I have about 150 dollars in it( pine)...but about 100 hours of woodworking.shrug, I enjoy woodworking and enjoy neighbors and friends reaction when i show them my "home made "tool box. Dont know how to post pics,or I would do so. Thinking of a winter project...maybe making one from 1/4 sawn oak,,and selling this one.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drool over those everytime I go. Ball bearing drawer slides, all stainless steel. They have one super large master version and a little smaller version. Various size drawers that you can store very large items ( Skill saw, etc) and wrench/screwdriver drawers. I just don't think you could beat them. Never rust, heavy SS construction, reasonable price.

Visit your local Costco. These are s-w-e-e-t

Originally Posted by Rimcrew
Got mine from Costco. Stainless upper and lower, smooth/tight drawers, rubber mat liners, all for about $400!
Old 09-17-2006, 07:40 PM
Glenn's 67 BB Vert
Melting Slicks

John your shop is nicer than my house--i could live there--I'd be afraid to show my shop after seeing your pic's --bet your shop puts a lot of ours to shame
Old 09-17-2006, 07:49 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a massive 6 foot stainless steel roller bearing double stack from Sams club for 700 with tax.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:48 PM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Wood?!?

Ghostrider1, I love it! What a great winter project.

Bud.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Allcoupedup
Melting Slicks

I have the craftsman ball bearing chests -- like the ones on the left of John's picture except mine are black. Sears puts them on sale several times per year - they aren't cheap but relatively speaking they have the best value in my opinion.

Brian
Old 09-17-2006, 11:30 PM
grumpy55
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might try "Northern Tool"
Old 09-18-2006, 09:28 AM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default sams club

cobrastang: I saw thos stainless toolboxes at Sam's and called my brother. He happened to be looking at the Craftsman series toolboxes and was ready to buy. He bought the stainless from Sam's a was pretty happy with it and the price was great compared to a Craftsman.

I found a new Matco box a few years back that someone couldn't afford. It weighs 1000# empty. For years as a mechanic, I bought the tools while the other guys had their shiny new Macs and SnapOns. I was a little envious, but they were borrowing my tools. Now that I retired from wrenching for a living, I thought a nice new professional box would be cool. I don't regrete all those years with my used toolboxes and I still have my craftsman top box and use it all the time. It is hard to beat the roller bearings though. I wouldn't buy another box without them.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:28 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

build your own..this is the "big" tool box" from lowes (koblat) i built from pine.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone have a Kobalt Tool Box from Lowes

Quick Reply: Anyone have a Kobalt Tool Box from Lowes